Hey im really new to guitars, but the kind of music I want to play is metal rock like children of bodom, slayer, and lamb of god. Just that kind of music. I have 1 guitar i own, a craftsman from singapore.

and then i have a Sigma that was supposed to be handbuilt from some kit, from an uncle, kind of old 20 years or so. anyways it has double humbuckers while the craftsman has 3 single coils. Which one is better for the type of music i want to play? if it's the humbuckers, what settings?
It's humbuckers, and pickups don't have settings. If you are asking which pickup to use for metal, it depends, I'd use the bridge pickup for everything but solos, for solos I use the neck pickup. You might be asking about amp settings, if you are than put bass all the way up, treble all the way up and middle at like 2. If you have an amp that says low middle and high then put low all the way up, middle at like 2 and high all the way up. Also use distortion if you have it on the amp, if you don't then buy a pedal. I am not saying you are going to get a good metal sound, I dont even know what kind of friggin amp ur using, im just bored so im writing this, good luck man. P.S. this should be in the settings thread.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Humbuckers

for settings boost the treb and cut the mids. Also cut a little of the bass too. That will give you the crisp.
i got some singaporean amp, hehe some cheap stuff i got frrom a friend to start. But settings on pickups i was talking about the ways to wire humbuckers to get different kinds of tone.
Quote by Pants99
It's humbuckers, and pickups don't have settings. If you are asking which pickup to use for metal, it depends, I'd use the bridge pickup for everything but solos, for solos I use the neck pickup. You might be asking about amp settings, if you are than put bass all the way up, treble all the way up and middle at like 2. If you have an amp that says low middle and high then put low all the way up, middle at like 2 and high all the way up. Also use distortion if you have it on the amp, if you don't then buy a pedal. I am not saying you are going to get a good metal sound, I dont even know what kind of friggin amp ur using, im just bored so im writing this, good luck man. P.S. this should be in the settings thread.

why does everyone result to turning the bass all the way up.. dont listen to this fool.. if you want to get a good metal tone (LOG and COB depend on highs) turn the High to about 8 your Mid to about 6 and your Low to no more than 3.. its a rule of thumb used in studios that A LOT of people tend to not know... if you want more of a lower sound turn up your mid first as to not compromise getting too much of a muddy sound.. more bass may mean deeper but doesnt always mean cleaner...
Quote by amhso
Hey im really new to guitars, but the kind of music I want to play is metal rock like children of bodom, slayer, and lamb of god. Just that kind of music. I have 1 guitar i own, a craftsman from singapore.

and then i have a Sigma that was supposed to be handbuilt from some kit, from an uncle, kind of old 20 years or so. anyways it has double humbuckers while the craftsman has 3 single coils. Which one is better for the type of music i want to play? if it's the humbuckers, what settings?

i bet you were at the unholly alliance tour.
Last edited by metalmania247 at Jul 22, 2006,
no i havent.and i wont. only a noob sees three bands at a tour and wants to sound like them....
Actually Ive seen Lamb of God several times.. I like there sound but thats not what I aim for when i play.. I dont even like Children of Bodom.. Slayer is Slayer you seen em once you've seen them 1,000 times.. Mastodon did awesome.. the only reason i named LOG and COB was because he said thats the sound he goes for.. fact is dont flame if you dont know **** about who you're flaming... i went to see them b/c i like the band and i like going to concerts.. just b/c i know what it takes to get a good sound doesnt mean i use that sound personally.. its called being a well rounded musician with TONS upon TONS of studio hours under his belt (recording and working) so next time lets not be a jackass and assume **** about people you know nothing about
im not new to guitars.. the thread starter is... and i thought you were referring to me when you made the comment about The Unholy Alliance Tour (misread on my part).. not only that why are you flaming him for wantin to sound like bands that he likes.. hes deffinately not going to instantly go for the Paul Gilbert sound.. he has to get started somewhere... i bet when you started playing guitar you did the exact same thing...
yup. we are all like that..thats why he should skip that and go straight to malmsteen or some guitar freak...at first i wasl like how could somebody talk to mr morton and not know about guitars.. but i misread it too
i think malmsteen may be way out of his reach... but after being around here he'll learn to appreciate that music to its fullest.. then eventually pick it up... me personally i like lamb of god.. really cool guys funny as hell too.. mark knows his **** when it comes to gear we talked about his new jackson before it got released its pretty bad ass.. i guess he just drew something out on a napkin and they complied.... if you ever get a chance check em out live kick ass show..
well....here's the thing. I planned to go to the one in san jose near here 4 months ago...and then forgot about it...then friend calls the night before at 12 AM and goes "Hey man, we going or not? your ride!" so i ask my mom the night before and...well she didnt like the planning so we didnt get to go.
Instruments : Guitar, Flute/Piccolo, Tenor/Alto Saxophone

Wheeee....i just like metal so I want to play metal. maybe other stuff here and there too.
Quote by ScreamingCheeto
LOG, slayer, and bodom all have very unsimilar tones. alexi laiho's tone is so amazing and ive never been able to find it just right yet

try using a neck thru guitar preferably one with maple neck and alder wings and add a passive emg and there you go oh yeh dont forget the expensive equipment he has. and ts you cant really change the setting on your pickup