If your talking about key, try Em, cause it uses the Em pentatonic scale, and to make Metallica easier for you, most of the stuff Kirk Hammet does is through Em pentatonic
E minor, probably. Being a metal band back in the day, they used a lot of chromatic notes to get that evil sound. Atonality can be a wonderful thing. Anyway, I think it's based in E minor.
Quote by khalil1220
If your talking about key, try Em, cause it uses the Em pentatonic scale, and to make Metallica easier for you, most of the stuff Kirk Hammet does is through Em pentatonic

Some of it is pentatonic, and most of his solos are based in Em, but find one metallica solo that doesnt contain a majority of diatonic and chromatic runs.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
If you're talking about the solos, I would call both the slow (harmony) solo and the fast solo in M of P more diatonic rather then pentatonic: E minor scale (E F# G A B C D E)

And thats a great point by ClayJohnson, a lot of chromatic runs throughout all of their stuff, sometimes makes it harder to pin down what exact scale they're using.