When I use my Explorer and set it on the bridge pickup (EMG 81) and turn it up, I'm getting feeback on it when I am not playing, it will gradually get louder, but as soon as I put my hand over the strings, it stops, what's the deal? Do I have the amp set up wrong? My gain is at 4 o clock if it matters.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
bump....anyone?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
My gain is at 4 o clock if it matters.

Its expected with that much gain. Turn it down.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
EMGS are wisper quiet. get a noisegate dude, it might be what you're looking for. Boss NS-2 or something i believe it's called, shove it in ure fx loop and it takes out unwanted feedback. apparently it doesn't colour your tone but i can't speak from experience.
I think this is normal. It's just your strings vibrating and causing feedback. This is why when your done playing a song at a gig you should either roll back the volume on your guitar or keep your hand on the strings. Turning down the gain would also work but if that's the sound you want then no need to turn it down just because of feedback.
My Gear:

Guitars
Squier Affinity Stratocaster w/ SD Hot Rails (Bridge)
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey Studio Pro 112
VOX AD50VT Valvetronix
Ross Fame Series Bass 50

Effects
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay
dude feedback rocks.
its normal though, at high volumes.

just turn the volume knob down when not playing, or hold the strings down quite hard.
or switch to the clean channel when not playing.

does a noise gate suck any of your tone away?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
thanks for all the replies, I like where the gain's at now, I really don't want to roll it back some because I won't get the crunch from the EMG's. I will have to look into the noise gates, does the noisegate take away from your tone?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
no, decent noisegates will make your playing sound tighter and punchier and still keep your tone, the isp decimator i'd probabaly say is the best going, a little pricey but seriously worth it, especially if your into heavily distorted riffs
That's what feedback is. When the noice from your F30 feeds back into your pups, it just gradually grows louder and louder.

The ISP Decimator is your best bet. Or, just roll the volume down - much cheaper solution.
This is kind of off topic but... how do you like your f-30 Bad Seed i'm thinking of getting one? can you get a metalica tone out of it and play some metal? or is it just like a clasic rock amp? (if it is a metal amp can you give me your settings for it i'm going to be testing it out tomorrow thx)

and yes go for the ISP Decimator http://www.music123.com/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-System-i104561.music

EDIT: heres the boss it like $40 cheaper but ISP would be the way to go. http://www.music123.com/Boss-NS2-Noise-Suppressor-i21789.music
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
Last edited by Canuck_22 at Jul 22, 2006,
That's what happens, get over it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30