okay, i'm having some trouble understanding why some scales are ment to be played differnetly going up, and going down. an example of this is the melodic minor (and all of its modes). please, someone, explain to me how this works when applied to soloing, or in general why the notes differ going down from when going up.
thanx

Melodic Minor(up) : 1 . 2 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 8
Melodic Minor(down) : 1 . 2 3 . 4 . 5 6 . 7 . 8
Melodic minor is the only scale that I can think of that's like that. It happens because on the way up, the 6 and 7 create a sense of pull up towards the root, while the b7 and b7 create a sense of pull down towards the fifth (or something like that).

It is perfectly acceptable to play the melodic minor the same up and down.
okay, thats simple to understand, but how would i go about using the change of notes while soloing?and more importantly if its soloing in the melodic minor key but not in any linear pattern, so you dont hear the 6/7 pull towards any specific note?
Quote by killer1201
okay, thats simple to understand, but how would i go about using the change of notes while soloing?
If you're going down in pitch and want to hit a 6th or 7th, you hit b6 or b7. If you're going up, you hit 6 or 7.

Quote by killer1201
so you dont hear the 6/7 pull towards any specific note?
Try it and see where your ear wants to go.