Ok I was watchin Kirk Hammet play Master of Puppets the other day and in the intro hes downpicking really fast. Does neone know ne excercises or nething that I can use to learn to downpick this fast?

Thanx in advance

Eric
try playin master of puppets? the whole song is downpicked, so you can just pic parts that you like, and downpick practice them either that or take any song,riff or exersice that you know, and play it with all down picking.
the truth for most people is that it is very hard to downpick that fast and for that long, so if it's going to hold you back from playing the song then you should probably just alternate pick it-its much much easier.
I recommend just going through the main riff and that bit after the main solo where all the guitars play building up kinda scale riff, and playing them slow to begin and working your way up. Those riffs are good for building speed in downpicking I reckon.
Quote by killer1201
try playin master of puppets? the whole song is downpicked, so you can just pic parts that you like, and downpick practice them either that or take any song,riff or exersice that you know, and play it with all down picking.

No.

The melodic dual guitar harmony part is alternate picked.

And the solo of course.

lol, Just felt like being difficult :P.

But ye, all the main riffs are Down picked.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
What video were you watching? I have the Cunning Stunts DVD but the camera angle isn't very good, not a good view of either of them, and I 'd like to get another video where I can see it better.

I've been playing for a long time and its STILL hard for me to get the down picking up to that speed. I find I do better at it if I try to focus on keeping the pick hand and the whole right arm relaxed. Sounds obvious, but I think the natural tendancy is to stiffen up a bit.

Of course a lot of gain on the amp helps too.

Kirk said in an interview in one of the guitar mags awhile back (for M of P 20 yr anniversary) that its about as fast as they can go down-picking, its about their top speed, if that's any consolation
I was watchin kirk hammets video lesson in that issue of guitar world magazine, man kirk hammet makes it look so easy.
If you think thats fast, try listening to/playing a song by Slayer called War Ensemble.
The intro riff is FAR more difficult and fast.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Yea maybe so eternal_one but its not downpicked or at least its not on the still reigning or war at the war fields dvds
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

I play master of puppets into like this (well the example Im showing is when it gets into it)

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------5\4---5\4---5\4---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|

My technique for this bit is up down down up down down up down down and so forth.

Then the verse riffs I down stroke all the time and the solos I alternate pick [Except the clean part which I finger pick].

and this bit (towards end of song)

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------2-4-5-5-----------------------------------|
|-------------------------2-3-5-------3--333-2-3-5-3-2--------------------|
|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-000-2-3-5------------------------------3-2----------------|

I down pick the O's and the chord pits and alt pick the rest of.

I it makes it easier to handle the song and I have more control of what I am playing. If I were you I would plan each part of the song with different picking techniques because it is much easier to play alternate picking in some parts and straight down picks on others.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!