wat are:

1) the advantages and disadvantages of getting a full/half stack or combo amp?
2) the requirements for getting a for eg. one 50 watt cab with a 30/100 watt head? 3) how would any part of the amp incl. tubes change the tone of an amp?
4) is biasing tubes?
5)i am thinking of getting a new amp for blues and classic rock, not too big, at most 50 watts tube, no need for amp distortion since i will be getting pedals to go with it. any suggestions?

any help will be greatly appreciated
Last edited by suckasucks at Jul 22, 2006,
1)a stack will give you alot of control tonewise, as you can change the cabinet, and cab's are crucial! A combo is more flexible in terms of movement (especially if you dont have a car yourself!)
5)Traynor YCV50blue
Quote by suckasucks
wat are:

stacks have more sound projection, depending what kind of speaker setup you want to use, and are more versatile because you can use different cabs. Combos are usually cheaper, and usually more convenient because everything is in one unit. It depends though, a 2x12 combo amp will usually wiegh more than a regular head, but you have the cab to contend with too if you have a stack. You can usually get more value for your money with the combos, if they make it for the amp you want.

2) the requirements for getting a for eg. one 50 watt cab with a 30/100 watt head?

the cab just needs to meet or preferrably exceed the max wattage the head will put out.

3) how would any part of the amp incl. tubes change the tone of an amp?

Preamp tubes shape your tone, and power tubes amplify it. Both will add their own unique characteristics to your overall sound. It's usually not a "drastic" change though, the circuit design, layout, parts, tubes, speakers, etc... all combine make up the unique sound of the amp.

4) is biasing tubes?

biasing your "amp" is setting it to run your tubes where they will have optimal life, and optimal tone. Tubes are an old technology, and they aren't very consistent in their manufacturing. Tubes will all have different values, even from the same manufacturer. When you get matched tubes, the tubes are all tested to be close to eachothers specifications. This will vary for all tubes though, that's why you always get matched powertubes. Biasing your amp for the specific tubes you get assures that they aren't running too cold, where your tone suffers, and they aren't running too hot, where they sound great but tube life is affected.

5)i am thinking of getting a new amp for blues and classic rock, not too big, at most 50 watts tube, no need for amp distortion since i will be getting pedals to go with it. any suggestions?

what's your budget? there are a good number of amps that fit that description depending what you want to spend. People can give you many suggestions. Fender, Traynor, Mesa, ENGL, Marshall, Peavey, etc...
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids

-Projection is a big thing for stacks, however, i think that many people underestimate the power of a combo. Take the Vox 30ac for example. The people that end up using vox prefer the combo over the head/cab, why? mainly because of the roomy / open feel that the only the combo gives you. Even the 2 12 cabinet with a head gives off a different feel. In live situations, im sure most people will be unable to tell the difference, but when you play it, it definitly sounds different. For projection, people forget that combos can be stacked as well, either on a 2 12 or 4 12 cab, or placed on a stand or road case. Projection problem solved. So to a point, a combo is not inferior to a stack in no way other than sound preference.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
thanks. my price range is about <700ish US, exceeding by about 150 should be ok. but here i can only get fender, marshall, vox, randall, orange, peavey and not many other brands.
can you buy used? Most Fender tube amps are very nice, especially the older ones and reissues. The HR deluxe, deville, and Blues Jr. are also nice amps, they have great cleans and blues tones, and the HR's can be pushed into classic rock pretty easily IME. Randall made an RT100 all tube that I tried and really liked, but it's not made anymore. The RG50TC looks like something to try out too. Orange are supposed to make some good amps, but I don't know any of the models. Peavey makes the Valveking, Classic 30/60, and Windsor that might be worth checking out for blues and classic rock. The Marshall JCM800 or DSL401 would work great for rock if you could find them used, but I've never heard them doing blues. Do they carry any Vox around you? The AC30 is a great amp, well known for it's cleans. The Fender and Vox are going to give you the best cleans IMO. Having a good OD channel on the amp is great for classic/hard rock though. I'm sure there will be some better suggestions from people that play more blues and classic rock than me.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the clean channel on a marshall with some volume (well, my marshall anyway) is very bluesy.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i have a fender hot rod deluxe, and i play blues, rock and the what not. it is amazing :-) i love it, probably my best purchase ever (guitar-wise)
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
I think a Traynor YCV50 Blue would be a good amp for you. It's auto-biased, so you never have to adjust biasing and you don't have to buy matched tubes. Also, combos are smaller and more portable, but have the same volume as a half-stack (most of the time). The YCV50 Blue is a lot like a Marshall JCM800 with a darker voicing and more gain. Also, the Vox AC30CC is a good amp to look into, although, it's way more expensive.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
what would give me a slightly deeper/darker bluesy sound? for a cab and a head.