im looking for a new electric guitar and i saw one at GC with a P-90 pick up.

what are they for? do they do well with gain? are they better than Single Coil and Humbuckers?

can someone please enlighten me?
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
they are somewhere between a traditional single coil and a humbucker. they are good for many types of music (although not really metal). p-90 players and guitars are a rare breed but they are by far the best sounding pickup money can buy in my humble opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlYY3VGcp7E&search=social%20distortion

both guitarists in this band use p-90 equipped guitars.

what are you looking to play?
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Last edited by wingedgopher at Jul 22, 2006,
Ive always been lead to believe they're inbetween Single coils and Humbuckers. Which is cool, but one problem is they've still got the hum of single coils.
They do have great tone, At some point Ill get a guitar with some in it.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
They ARE single coils. They have the hum of a single coil pickup because that's what they are.

P-90 pickups have a different sound than most single coils and also different from humbuckers. They have more "bite" and can also be somewhat twangy. They're fine for quite a lot of genres.

If the hum really bothers you, just get a P-100 pickup. Same size, same look, and nearly the same sound. It can just handle higher distortion and volume better.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
i like that sound. lol.

i was thinking about the Gibson SG Junior.

i saw the guitarist in The Subways play it live and loved the sound.

would this be a good idea?
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Last edited by Rancid_Misfits at Jul 22, 2006,
Well its only on pickup (bridge) and id say look for something like a PRS Soapbar nad Gibson LP Double Cut Faded.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well its only on pickup (bridge) and id say look for something like a PRS Soapbar nad Gibson LP Double Cut Faded.

^+1 those are what i would look at as well
I love p-90's. They've got a great range of versatlity and are capable of music from many genre's (punk to jazz to country). With just adjustments in volume you can get many great tones. I don't think you can get Black Sabbath out of them or any other heavy metal, just depends on what you like to play.

i'm curious as to what guitar you where looking at.
I want to get a Gibson Firebird with 3 P-90s, bridge middle and neck and an spst mini toggle for each.

Obviously, I'll have to do that myself, since I don't think they make firebirds set up like that.
Its not IMPOSSILE to get metal tones out of them, but definetly aren't there strong point. It would be some trouble to play hardcore bands with them, but i came close to some metallica and pantera at guitar center today. Also got an almost spot on guns n roses with them.
Recordings of me and my band in my profile