Hey there UG, this is the situation.

I have gotten into a lot of the 80s within the last few months, and I like the tones that came out of it, like Eddie Van Halen, Dimebag Darrell, Early Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Randy Rhoads, etc..

I have decided to do something about my gear. Right now, its pretty basic.
-Fender Fat Strat
-Roland Cube 60 (i hate this amp.)
-Zoom 505 Pedal (I also hate this Pedal)
-Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah

I would like to know, how shall I go about achieving hmmm....Eddie Van Halens tone..
Do I change AMP or GUITAR?
I was looking at the Peavey 6505 head and cab, I know it obviously gives Eddies tone, but can it do metal?

Or do I just buy a guitar with EMG's? (I hear they sound like garbage on solid states)

Try to keep it less than $2000, I've gotta pay for college tuition.

Thanks~
Last edited by MetalShredder.. at Jul 22, 2006,
Well just because Van Halen used it doesnt mean its gonna give his tone. It's the strings you use, the pickups, the pedals, and oh yeah, one little thing... Talent. Just because you have the best gear doesnt mean its gonna sound the best.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
While thats true. Your amp and pedal is whats messing with your tone.
I know how you feel man : P.
Ive got top quality gear besides my performing amp. Nice pedals, Nice guitars, Behringer amp : /.
I'd get the peavey and maybe a tube screamer?
That might give you a tone you'd like.
Or a marshall DSL or something.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by i_baked_cookies
If you're looking for good tone, or any tone for that matter, do NOT get EMGs.

Spoken like a true noob EMG's do have good one, it's just you need to know how to get good tone, as with any other piece of equipment. Just try tweaking your settings and don't use your pedal.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
But if your getting EMG's, Invest in a good tube amp. You CAN get them to sound decent with solid state amps, but Through a tube amp they really sing.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by SGStrummer61
Spoken like a true noob EMG's do have good one, it's just you need to know how to get good tone, as with any other piece of equipment. Just try tweaking your settings and don't use your pedal.

very true.. sad thing is emgs do get good tone with enough time and effort.. Emgs mostly have a bad rap b/c everyone and there mother use 81/85 setup and always complain about "why can't i get that Satch clean" if your going to get emgs dont get the 81/85 set up to many people use it (including myself i have ONE guitar set up with them) just get something versitile but fits your needs.
Quote by Zach_F
While thats true. Your amp and pedal is whats messing with your tone.
I know how you feel man : P.
Ive got top quality gear besides my performing amp. Nice pedals, Nice guitars, Behringer amp : /.
I'd get the peavey and maybe a tube screamer?
That might give you a tone you'd like.
Or a marshall DSL or something.

Heh, well least I'm not alone.

Ok Fellow UG'ers, I've decided that I'll invest in a new guitar later, or maybe just upgrade the pickups since I like my Fender.

Anyways, I'm REALLY looking at the Peavey 6505 head and cab, can you guys give me some feedback on that amp?..... Or shall I get some sort of a Marshall head and Cab???
2000 Dollars eh?

You want tone? You got it.

Enter the world of rack effects

Digitech 2101 or 2112 or 2120 Duel Tube Preamp/Effects processor Racks

I personally own the 2112. I have a george lynch setting, van halen setting, RR setting, and a 68' marshall plexi setting... As well as the hundreds and hundreds of presets.

Each sold for about 1200$ brand new, but you can find them on ebay for as cheap as 250$.

Then, preamp the digitech with a Vox tonelab. Then have a power amp, and go to a cab.

Some other valuable pieces to add to the tone would include possibly a harmonizer or speaker emulator.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Hmm.. doesn't Van Halen used the Peavey 5150 on his later VH material?

And for his earlier stuff I always thought he used Marshalls. (Van Halen 1)

Also.. he uses MXR Distortion and Phaser single-effect pedals.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
2000 Dollars eh?

You want tone? You got it.

Enter the world of rack effects

Digitech 2101 or 2112 or 2120 Duel Tube Preamp/Effects processor Racks

I personally own the 2112. I have a george lynch setting, van halen setting, RR setting, and a 68' marshall plexi setting... As well as the hundreds and hundreds of presets.

Each sold for about 1200$ brand new, but you can find them on ebay for as cheap as 250$.

Then, preamp the digitech with a Vox tonelab. Then have a power amp, and go to a cab.

Some other valuable pieces to add to the tone would include possibly a harmonizer or speaker emulator.

Hmmm I've heard about the first digitech one..And these will give my amp the really heavy palm muted sound as heard on Metallicas first/second albums?

Hmm.. doesn't Van Halen used the Peavey 5150 on his later VH material?

And for his earlier stuff I always thought he used Marshalls. (Van Halen 1)

Also.. he uses MXR Distortion and Phaser single-effect pedals.

Yea, he probably does, not sure.

If he did use Marshalls in the first album, does anybody know the specific model?
You wouldnt use them with an amp. You would use them with a power amp( strictcly power amp, going to a cabinet to produce volume, no tone involved with the pa )

Heres what you would need.

Rack Case

Power Conditioner( You can get a good furman one for around 80$ ) with 8 outlets
Digitech Model(one of the 3)
Vox Tonelab
Power Amp
Seperate Speakers, you could even go into the line in on your computer(thats what i do) or a nice cabinet

Depending on the power amp, you would stay WELL under 2000$. Probably around 1000-1200$

With this setup, it will produce the best shred and metal tone you will have ever had. If you WERE to get this setup, i have all the professional settings from direct from Derryl Gabel...

www.derrylgabel.com Hes got some videos of him using the sameexact rig, except he's using his fusion/clean channel.

If you have MSN or Yahoo, id gladly do some recordings so you could hear my setup.

PM me or just reply here for any more questions.

A good rackset up>tube amp any day
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by MetalShredder..
If he did use Marshalls in the first album, does anybody know the specific model?

I think it was some kind of JMP, 100 watts, I'm not sure if it was a master volume model but you have to remember that:
-he had the thing cranked to 10 on all the volume and gain knobs
-he was running it through a variac, on voltages lower than regular so it got a different kind of sound

You might want to try some of the Marshall inspired amps, like a Splawn or something. Or maybe Mesa Boogie Stiletto maybe? the Mesa Boogie Mark IVs are also know to be very versatile amps.

The 5150/6505 will do his tone on the later stuff and it'll do prettymuch any metal you throw at it (however, it is a dark sounding amp). Really good at metal they are.
Last edited by seljer at Jul 22, 2006,
Quote by ClassicAxe
A good rackset up>tube amp any day

Hahah. No digital shit will ever compare to that of a warmed up tube.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Hahah. No digital shit will ever compare to that of a warmed up tube.

Rack gear is often also tube based
FYI my 2112 has 2 tubes and the vox has one as well.

While it may not compare to the LOUDNESS of a tube amp, i definately still ****ing stand by what i said lolz. Ive played plenty of tube amps, enough for me to know.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well your into your Metal and Shred music, while I sit here and enjoy Blues, Soul and the classics, so were different.

All im saying is that when it comes down to the end, why change? Stick with the original, the classic good sound.

All Fender tube baby.
Metal and Shred has plenty of soul man....

Shred doesnt have to be MAB......

Take Gambale, Lane, Holdsworth, Gabel.......

Metal Wise - Dokken ( George Lynch ) VH (ed) ......

Why change? Because plain tube amps just dont cut it.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Opinions, opinions.

I'll never play through any of that stuff, its gotta be an 'ol Fender or Marshall for me.
'Nuff said.

And I never said Shred had no soul, I love my Satch, Vai, and Gilberto. I was just stating we have different musical tastes, which tend to require different means of amplification.
Quote by SGStrummer61

To anyone who think that EMGs sound like turd, go listen to Comfortably Numb. He recorded those with EMG-S models. Amazing Tone.
Quote by TimmyPage06
To anyone who think that EMGs sound like turd, go listen to Comfortably Numb. He recorded those with EMG-S models. Amazing Tone.

David Gilmour only uses the EMGs live since they don't hum under all the stage lighting. In the studio he uses regular pickups, I think he had a Dimarzio of sort in the bridge and regular Fenders in the other 2 on his black Strat at the time.

Though yeah, EMGs single coils are pretty nice, though the majority of their humbuckers aren't really high in the versatility area (they do however do good metal tones if you're into that...though more if it is in your amp overall)
Quote by seljer
David Gilmour only uses the EMGs live since they don't hum under all the stage lighting. In the studio he uses regular pickups, I think he had a Dimarzio of sort in the bridge and regular Fenders in the other 2 on his black Strat at the time.

Though yeah, EMGs single coils are pretty nice, though the majority of their humbuckers aren't really high in the versatility area (they do however do good metal tones if you're into that...though more if it is in your amp overall)

Yeah. Even live though.. and Keith Urban (yes hes country, shut it, hes an amazing guitarist) uses the EMG singles.

Ok, so I like the emg singles. Their humbuckers arent really my thing haha.
Ohh wow, thanks a lot guys.
I'm gonna keep my eyes on several things now

-That rack setup Classic mentioned
-The Mesa Boogie Mark IV since I was told it was versatile
-The obvious 6505/5150

I'm going to head down to my LMS soon and check out some of this stuff.

Thanks again.