Page 1 of 4
i think its the best kind of music out there, the musicans are all down to earth and the music isnt really out there its just cut to the bone rock and roll. Just tell me what you think about it.
Pantera is like souther metal. Dimebag is/was/and always will be awesome.
You are not a slave...
yes it a great genre,and yes skynyrd and pantera rule.but there are alot of other great southern rock bands out there that dont get enough credit or attention
Skynyrd is my favorite band of all time but there are alot of other southern rock bands that get overshadowed, like molly hatchet, the marshall tucker band, etc. Even though Skynyrd is the greatest, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman brothers are just about the only southern rock bands you hear about
I actually think that The Allman Brothers Band created the genre because they actually formed officially and released their debut album before Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The Allman Brothers Band aren't just my favorite Southern rock, but also my favorite band period apart from Led Zeppelin (I prefer The Allman Brothers Band live, but Led Zeppelin in the studio).

Lynyrd Skynyrd is pretty good, too, but I don't like some of their songs that are preaching the ideas that "the South will rise again".

They're a good, band, though, and I saw them live with The Allman Brothers in 2004.

Of course, there are some other Southern rock bands such as The Georgia Satellites, The Charlie Daniels Band, and The Marshall Tucker Band; among many more. These other bands, however, aren't as popular overall as either The Allman Brothers or Skynyrd.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Jul 22, 2006,
Pantera isn't supposed to be in the classic rock forum. even if they are "southern metal"
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Southern rock is a very cool genre. The bands who do it just right, like the Allmans, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, and Marshall Tucker, add just enough of that country feel to the hard rock they play to make it a blast to hear.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
The Allman Brothers Band aren't * my favorite Southern rock, but also my favorite band period apart from Led Zeppelin (I prefer The Allman Brothers Band live, but Led Zeppelin in the studio).

* I believe you meant to insert "just" here?

I love the Allman Brothers. Skynyrd sometimes too, but I admit that I get tired of the Freebird solos (if your cover band did Freebird as an encore, you just might get the tiniest bit sick too). I like Southern Rock overall though... we have a pretty big Allman Brothers thread in here you should check out (threadstarter).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
yea iv looked at it a couple times its pretty good, the Allman Brothers are awesome and really the ones who started the whole southern rock thing but Skynyrd kinda took over the Genre till the crash.

R.I.P.

Ronnie Van Zant
Steve Gaines
Cassie Gaines

and didnt die till after the crash

Allen Collins
Leon Wilkenson
"If I leave Here Tommorow, Will You Still Remember Me?"
-Ronnie Van Zant
Last edited by Freebird759 at Jul 22, 2006,
Southern Rock is ok, it can sometimes get abit obnoxious at times (molly hatchett, .38 special, charlie daniels) but stuff like Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers is great. I personally think the Allmans are way better than Skynyrd but thats just my feelings on it.
Quote by psychodelia
* I believe you meant to insert "just" here?

I love the Allman Brothers. Skynyrd sometimes too, but I admit that I get tired of the Freebird solos (if your cover band did Freebird as an encore, you just might get the tiniest bit sick too). I like Southern Rock overall though... we have a pretty big Allman Brothers thread in here you should check out (threadstarter).

Yes, I meant to put that in.

I was just about to suggest The Allman Brothers Thread too.
The typical Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Allman Bros. of course, but remember Train,Train by Blackfoot? Another killer band lost to obscurity. Hell, they're still jamming. Wish they'd come my way.
Southern Rock is one of the best types of music out there. I'm surprised no one said anything about the "Outlaws" yet,(Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe, ect.) Waylon Jennings is a great guitar player.
So Your Sickness Weighs A Ton And God's Name Is Smack For Some
God Smack by Alice in Chains

those boys in Mother Love Bone... They're like soup, they're like nothing bad
Holy Roller by Mother Love Bone

RIP Layne Staley and Andrew Wood
to havocrus, i just saw skynyrd a few days ago in Raliegh, NC and Rickey Medlock of blackfoot is touring with skynyrd now, he takes Allen Collins (R.I.P.) place in the lineup. He was awesome though he tore it up on the freebird solo, no one but Allen could have done it better.

I dont think i spelled rickeys last name right sorry dont know how
-Ronnie Van Zant
Last edited by Freebird759 at Jul 22, 2006,
I think Lynyrd Skynyrd solos were crap compared to Allman Brothers solos. Lynyrd Skynyrd solos either sound to scripted or repetitive.
"There is no dark side in the moon, Matter of fact, its all dark"

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?

*Official Deadhead*
yea they were (heartbreaker)
-Ronnie Van Zant
Last edited by Freebird759 at Jul 23, 2006,
Quote by toolfan_121
Pantera is like souther metal. Dimebag is/was/and always will be awesome.

Quote by havocrus
David Allan Coe for sure.

I just remembered this:
http://players.eqreports.com/rebelmeetsrebel/
If you like Pantera or David Allan Coe check it out...

I only really like Skynard for "Freebird"

But for southern rock, I love the Allman Brothers(what I've heard from them), Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, 38 Special(if you count them) and especially the Charlie Daniels Band.

Of course, a lot of those bands are also considered country also and moreso.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
I'd almost consider Cash, Jennings, Kristofferson, and Nelson folk-rock or country-rock, as you stated in your last sentence.

However, I've heard that Nelson doesn't really limit his playing to folk and country, and he can really play anything, but I've never personally heard him (yet - I might see him with John Fogerty this Saturday).
apart from those bands suggested above

Black Oak Arkansas is brilliant as well
My Spanish Hearts
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I'd almost consider Cash, Jennings, Kristofferson, and Nelson folk-rock or country-rock, as you stated in your last sentence.

However, I've heard that Nelson doesn't really limit his playing to folk and country, and he can really play anything, but I've never personally heard him (yet - I might see him with John Fogerty this Saturday).

Nelson puts on a really good show, and yeah it is true that he can play about anyhting, a year ago he released a reggae album.

BTW, the four guys you listed were also in a band together, The Highwaymen. I've only heard one of their songs, but it's pretty awesome.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
yea nelsons reggae album was really great i loved it, never did get around to buyin it but iv heard almost every song on the album
-Ronnie Van Zant
it's funny that we call a certain style of rock "Southern Rock" as Rock'n'Roll itself star.ted in the south
yea i never thought of it like that
-Ronnie Van Zant
Ozark Mountian DareDevils, Confederate Railroad, Blackfoot, and Drive-By Truckers are all great underrated Southern Rock bands. Check them out.
^^the Drive-By Truckers are pretty good. They kept my attention when they opened for the Black Crowes last Saturday. I'd like to hear some studio stuff so I can further judge on what I think of them.

The only southern rock bands I like are The Allman Bros and Skynyrd. Both are great bands who have had their share of amazing musicians over the years.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
When I went to see Skynyrd about a week ago, Shooter Jennings and his band the 357's opend for them and i really didn't expect much but they were really good i was pleasently surprised
-Ronnie Van Zant
Quote by Freebird759
When I went to see Skynyrd about a week ago, Shooter Jennings and his band the 357's opend for them and i really didn't expect much but they were really good i was pleasently surprised

Shooter's good, he did a great cover of one of his dad's songs, I've Always Been Crazy, sounds very good.

yea hes really awesome even though i really didnt expect it, he is the only new band that i like and i might go buy their new album thats out, like elecric rodeo or somthing im not sure but he played a few song from it and they really sounded good
-Ronnie Van Zant
i know CCR was from cali, but they made southern rock music. and it was pretty damn good too. my favorites are lynyrd skynyrd, the allman bros, marshall tucker, ccr, and .38 special.
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Page 1 of 4