I've read the thread on anchoring, and i've decided not to anchor any more. But, when im running around the neck with distortion on, the vibrations on the other strings are creating much much unwanted noise.

When i used to anchor i'd rest my palm on the bridge and could control this noise, but it has now become a problem. Any tips?
Gear:
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
What is meant by "anchoring"? Your picking hand anchored on the bridge?
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Use your left hand to mute out the strings. Also, you can use your right hand to mute out the strings without actually resting your hand on the bridge.
Just coz you dont anchor doesnt mean you cant palm mute.
If your playing was better while anchoring Id say keep doing it,
If its good enough for Petrucci and Michael Angelo Batio Im not gonna go against it!
Try using the thumb of your picking hand to mute the strings.

/I'mnotgettinginvolvedinthisthread.
Quote by libriumbum
Just coz you dont anchor doesnt mean you cant palm mute.
If your playing was better while anchoring Id say keep doing it,
If its good enough for Petrucci and Michael Angelo Batio Im not gonna go against it!

i th....nevermind

palm muting isn't necessarily anchoring, as long as your hand or wrist doesn't become nailed to one part of the guitar...i would suggest grazing the bottom of your palm near your wrist along the strings so that you can mute while ascending...descending is a little trickier, so if you're up for it you can take the unused fingers of your picking hand and tap or "grab" the strings to stop them from ringing...this may take a long time to get a feel for, so i would suggest mixing that with fret hand muting as well
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.