I've been playing for about 2 years and i still suck. So i want to get better. I was wanting to know some stuff that will help me build speed, soloing, and accuracy. I play metal and classic rock and some blues. So wat should i try? Also, wat is tremolo picking? Wat is sweep picking? Please post links if u can. Any advice will be appreciated.
eat small mamals.
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
i've already tried and just ended up with a bad case of diarhea or however the hell u spell it
You don't know what tremlo picking is...?

To increase speed, just practice scales and such, and do them as accurately as possible without trying to go super-sonic. Once you have them in muscle memory, and easily played without thinking, speed up.

Thats just what I do.
practice... tremolo is picking one note very quickly repetedly (you probably already knew how to do that).. sweep picking is the art of playing in a sweeping (down then up or vice versa) fasion hitting 1 sting and note at a time quickly at to make a fluid sound to perform this it takes a lot of practice and a long time to master. the easiest way it to take it slowly and dont forget to lock your wrist when performing this it gives you a much more cleaner picking for each string..
practice practice practie
no one got good with out practice
learn scales (perferbly the minor petatonic aka the box) and practice all the time, learn it like the back of your hand, be able to run up and down it no problem with out messing up, dead sounds, bad fretting, ect. that should help
aslo try to learn how to alt. pick and do alot of tapping, hammer ons and pull offs to make it sound faster than you really are playing

any more questions?
no offence to the_man101 but do not learn "the box" for speed.. learn any scale you can get your hands on for speed.. just because he can run the box doesnt mean he could run the phrygian(sp) or lydian modes.. its all about muscle memory.. play any thing you can get your hand on front to back faster and faster each time... look into octave displacement as well speed + octave displacement = some of the best **** you'll ever play
Quote by ryknow157
no offence to the_man101 but do not learn "the box" for speed.. learn any scale you can get your hands on for speed.. just because he can run the box doesnt mean he could run the phrygian(sp) or lydian modes.. its all about muscle memory.. play any thing you can get your hand on front to back faster and faster each time... look into octave displacement as well speed + octave displacement = some of the best **** you'll ever play

i just suggested the box because it is what most beginners learn, and i didnt know if he had already leanred it, and if you can run up and down it fast then you have speed, then you can write solos with speed because you can already play the box with speed, i dont know if he is a beginner, or advanced or what he is, it would be hard for a beginner to play phyrgian, as to box, so i just offered the beginning skill level because i dont know exactly where he is on skill
i see where your comming from but he shouldnt learn one thing.. thing is if he learns the box and starts writing solos hes either 1.. going to get stuck on where to go in his solo.. or 2.. if he does write something its going to be based around the "box" method..
thats true, i see where your coming from too, but every beginner needs to learn the box before he can move on to something more diffucult and write good solos, im sure your favorite guitarist who wrote your favorite solo learn the box first than anything, your right too he shouldnt get hung up on learning the box and base everything on it, he should learn it, know it, can play it and move on, its like building a foundation to a house, he learns speed on a crappy scale, to be able to play speed on a better scale, and have confidence, and to experience to play something better, its just that beginner thing that he needs to learn before he can learn more complecated scales, tech., ect
its a
1-4 (low E)
1-3 (A)
1-3 (D)
1-3 (G)
1-4 (B)
1-4 (high E)
scale basically where ever your root not is on what fret (so say it starts on the 5th fret) on low e (thinkest string) root note would be played on the 5th fret then the next note would be played on the 8th fret, so it expands from 4 frets from starting position to ending(1-4), then the next string A string would start on the root note 5th fret, and then the next note would be played on the 7th fret, bc it expands frm 3 frets from starting to end (1-3) and is basically the same thing all the way down
best advice is dont feel like you have stick EXACTLY to the scale when writing solos, its just basically a guide line, just be creative and move around, and hammer on and pull off and bend alot for cool effects and sounds on the solo, it also helps write riffs for songs, i have written meny riffs for songs useing that scale, learn other scales too after you fell comfotable using this one
Last edited by the_man101 at Jul 22, 2006,