im new on here so sorry if this is a repost and i didnt know *exactly* were to put it so again i apoloize for any mistakes i have made.

My question is...

How can i improve my ability to sing while playing my guitar? When my mouth opens my hand stops. when i play i forget the words and beat... is there a simple trick or do i need to condition myself for it? If so... how?

thanks in advance
I used to have trouble with this too, and when I asked my friend how he did it, he couldn't really give me an answer.

What happened to both of us was that we couldn't, and then one day we tried it and suddenly could. I literally just woke up, picked up the guitar, played House of the Rising Sun, and could sing along. The best advice I could give you would be to pratice the song or the chords or the riff until you twitch it out in the air in your sleep. It really helps a ton to know the song inside and out before you try to sing with it.
Oh, you just wait. Something'll be here, eventually.
it takes ALOT of practice to sing and play the same time
it comes with time, to sing and play you need good rythem, and need to be good at keeping time, so that the chages come easy and you dont think much about the progression, so you can focus on singing more than strumming, that cant be taught, just keep practing and it will come with time
when i sing and play, i like to tap my foot on the metronome to help me keep rythem and timing, so i know when the changes are, ect. also it helps when the song progession changes with the song, say on a certain word you change a chord, or on the third beat you change, thats the best advice i can give you
and dont give up, because trust me you will feel like quiting when you cant get it down the first few times you try, if people like agril laveine or how the hell you can spell it can sing and play, so can you
Avril Lavigne*

:P

Ye, my advice is to start with songs with SIMPLE rhythm guitar in it aka Nirvana.

And sing along with that slowly. The when you get better move on to other bands.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Man, I'm always in awe when guitarists can play lead guitar while singing. That always just amazes me.

Jimi Hendrix, James Hetfield, and Matt Bellamy, especially. They can be playing some weird rythms and riffs, all the while singing quite amazingly (especially Matt ).
thats funny someone mentioned that cause im a guitar player but i sing for the band i play for and one day at practice we were playing Master of Puppets and i picked up a bass and played the whole thing with my fingers with the band and sang to it which was somehting i have never been able to do and i can still do it but i cant even sing and play the simplest things one guitar together. weird cause i can sing and play Master of Puppets with a bass without a pick but i can play guitar with a pick and sing.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
You forgot Alexi Laiho.

He plays hectic lead and still sings.

Even if you raise the arguement that he can't really "sing" , he still open shis mouth and makes a noise while playing what he playes and that's enough to drop my jaw lol.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
It's about knowing the guitar part well enough to not have to think about it, for me.

Being comfortable with the chords and the ryhtm.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
ya same here know the guitar parts well enough so it becomes second nature(muscle memory)

or pick a certain key note and phrase(lyric) what i do ifs it off time i pick a note and word that that note falls under. it helps with timing on stuff that the guitar is off time with the lyrics.

i have never had a problem with singing and playing. one of the few things that has come easy i guess lol
Just start with some simple acoustic stuff, like some folk or something with open chords. Get the chords and rythm down, so you can do it without thinking. Then learn the words, and how they are sung. Now do both, but forget you are even playing guitar, the guitar part should be in the back of your head (at least when doing these kind of songs). Once you've got one down, learn some more, then try playing single notes while playing. The more complecated the guiar part, the more you'll have to think about both. Now if you wanna play lead and sing, it's vise versa, the lyrics should be in the back of your head.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Try getting really into the music and enjoy and feel what your playing, i find that helps you concentration and co-ordination
Once you get better at singing and playing at the same time, try some Megadeth stuff like Holy Wars.

But for right now. Learn the riff until you can play it in your sleep. Well at least until the point where you can play it and maybe carry on a simple conversation. Then learn the singing part until you can sing and it just flows without you having to think.

Then put them both in the proverbial blender
I Had The Same Problem To at First, Im Sure A Lot Of Us Did, What i did to get over it was absoloutly ace the actual playing of the song first then slowly trying to introduce a verse at a time, if that doesnt work just keep practising and im sure you will get there eventually
In The Car I Just Cant Wait . . To Pick You Up On Our Very First Date
well the song im trying to learn is really simple, but at the same time gets the chicks Nah im messin...

the song is "Hate Me" by blue october.

its easy as balls to play and i can pretty much play it with my eyes closed. but again... no matter what i do my mouth opens and my hand stops... my hand moves and i lose track...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
My problem was similar, except my hand would keep going. But I still wasn't playing the song right, I was syncipating the guitar part to the vocals. To fix that I went through the hard parts and found which note or strum/chord I played directly on the same beat as the hard syllable. Then I was able to time the vocals and guitar equally without changing the parts of either. Try accenting the parts where your vocals enter in measures along with accenting the notes played on guitar. This will help you remember to coordinate your mouth with your hand easier.

Dunno if that helped, its late and I'm half alseep, sorry if it was a rant.....
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Cort X-2 hahaha
Dean Tradition One
Ibanez Soundgear SR505 (five stringer)
Marshall MG 250DFX
Marshall MG 10CD
Digitech GNX4
Digitech DF-7 Distortion
A bunch of cables.
Honestly practice is about all i can say....let it go when frustrated though. I watched tv while playing and singing to start me out then i would match my voice with every note seperately in the chord for every chord in a song until i got it down.
**** man, i think everyone had trouble with it at one point in time. i would probably help if you practiced talking and playing at the same time that way you get the feel of it down. then focus on the pitch and what not of your voice. when i do it i focus more on getting my voice right and my hands tend to play the riffs without me thinking about it.
Quote by rhcp_9106
My problem was similar, except my hand would keep going. But I still wasn't playing the song right, I was syncipating the guitar part to the vocals. To fix that I went through the hard parts and found which note or strum/chord I played directly on the same beat as the hard syllable. Then I was able to time the vocals and guitar equally without changing the parts of either. Try accenting the parts where your vocals enter in measures along with accenting the notes played on guitar. This will help you remember to coordinate your mouth with your hand easier.

Dunno if that helped, its late and I'm half alseep, sorry if it was a rant.....

I agree kinda.. You have to learn how the words are PHRASED and you will find that for MOST songs the chord changes sync up with the phrases in the song. Try singing the words and only strum the chord once on the phrase change. ex.

"Simple Man"- Lynyrd Skynyrd

..Am.....................C.........G.....................Am
........Well moma told me,.....when I was young,
............................C..........G..............Am
........Come sit be side me,.....my only son.
.............................C.......G................Am
........And listen closley,.......to what I say.
..............................C.................G........................Am
........And they will help you my son, some sunny day.

Excuse the ..... but had to put them in to make things line up.

Thing to learn is to listen to the song and get the proper phrasing. I cant tell you how WRONG most tabs you find out there are!!!!!!! The chords MIGHT be right but there position is off ALOT of the time. Probably do to the fact that they might not have there guitar with them when they are tabbing. Or there not a singer and arent really sure how the song is phrased.
Just hit that one chord as you phrase the song, then gradually strumm more chords in until you get the pattern correct. After you learn how to phrase the song you can modify the phrasing to make it more your own! Hope this helps!
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Last edited by dcoyle4040 at Jul 26, 2006,
james hetfield is amazing, how the hell doe s he play and sing fade to black and battery, its amazing
dave mustaine is just as good playin megadeth stuff and singin along
same happened to me, just practise on part (vocals or music) until you know every line inside out and could play/sing it in your sleep, then ret piceing it together, it should mean you dont have to think about two things at the same time and can just focus on one