Well I know most of you will say "Go out and play a guitar in store yourself" but I have looked in a music store near me and played a few different Ibanez models but they arent massive for choice. I have been playing guitar for 6 and a half months now after being given a Fender Sqiuer Strat Pack for christmas. I constantly play on average about 3-4 hours a day and I am a fast player who likes to play anything from punk rock to classic rock and lots of stuff like Guns N Roses etc. I also like some grunge e.g Nirvana. But I'm basically into a more distorted sound which isnt to much like metal but not too light. I dont mind my Fender Sqiuer Strat but I feel im growing increasingly less fond of it as I have found that I can play the same things on other guitars, but it seems so much easier. This might be the size of my hands, the thickness of the neck of the guitar, anything im not quite sure. But I was looking into buying a new guitar which perhaps sounds better and has a nice slim neck for fast playing as that is my style.

My friend brought a Epiphone Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty with 3 pickups and I have to say it does sound pretty amazing and plays very nicely. I like the look of Epiphones Les Paul and SG models.

Could anyone recommend to me some great guitars suitable for my style of playing? All help would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to save up to around £500 if i have to but looking to buy a £200-£400 guitar which beats the Strat by A LOT.

Thanks for reading.
What happens if you get scared half to death twice???...
try and epiphone if you like them, but i know you said that ibanezes dont have a large range but, ibanez, they seem to suit a hell of a lot of differen music, and they usually (RG and S series mainly) have fast necks and edge pro trems which will help if you start shred, but yeah if you want an epiphone LP or SG get one but i htink i found a gibson sg special for around £500, that might be better than the epiphone (cant say if it is cos i've never tried one sorry)
I meant we dont have a massive range of Ibanez where I live but about your advice, it has helped. I'm going to find a place where i can try out a Gibson SG Special as I saw one on www.gak.co.uk and it looked beautiful, lets hope it plays like a charm and I'll start saving. £500 is the cheapest you will find for a NEW Gibson.

Thankyou, all other suggestions are accepted!!!
Yeah i think the SG special would work well if you like that sort of guitar, if theres anyway of testing one out before you buy do that, see if you like the feel
yeah try that SG special out and if they have one, try out an SG special faded too. people on this forum bash em noob-wise, but I have one and love it!
It beats the Epi G-400 for sure!
im not a fan of the specials at all. but seriously what amp do you use? if its theone from your pack get a new one
I have a crappy Sqieur SP-10 so before I go out and buy a guitar im buying a new amp, looking at some Marshalls and in about a week or two I shall have one, if you'd like suggest some amps for me. Im not looking for huge amounts of watts, enough to have a decent band practice but with lots of effects unlike the crappy SP-10.
ummm stay away from mg's. and your not going to get a good amp with lots of effects on it. otherwise how much you willing to spend? what music will you be playing?
Most probably punk or alternative rock...
Sorry to double post (although it is my thread) but I'm willing to pay up to... probably about £120
You're amp should in theory be better than your guitar.

That is a bit hypocritcal considering my Guitar is a Fender and my amp is an MG. (But I am getting a Peavey so stfu foo'.)

There is no point buying an awesome guitar and a crap amp.

But for an good cheap amp. Vox AD30VT/50VT (The 50 has better speakers.).
Or, if you aren't going to be gigging this amp an Epi Valve Special and get a few pedals. It's only a 5 watter. But a 5 watt tube is probably louder that a 15 wat SS, and it would sound a hell of a lot better.
If you can afford it get the valve standard. It's 15 watt tube. Loud enough to handle a small gig.

As for guitars check out the Tokai Loverock series, Agiles, Yamaha Pacificas, Ibanez RGs.
Sweet Children?

Pedofilia, anyone ?

If you like that style of music i don't think an Epi is right for you, i don't know how much Fenders cost but i always see strats or similar when i look at Punk/Alt bands.. Maybe just me though.
Yes Mustaine, perhaps but at the same time people like Tom Delonge used to be with Fender with his own Tom Delonge Signature Guitar and now he's moved on to Gibson Les Paul with his custom cream and white stripe kinda thing. Look at Green Day, Billy Joe Armstrong has played tons of different guitars but Gibsons also and at this day we usually see him playing a Gibson Les Paul Junior. As you can see the variety of guitars in punk/alternative music is really starting to expand and since I wanna be something different I want to try a different guitar to the strat style so I can widen my experience in guitars but also find some things that may be better alternative to the Strat styles.

Btw I have been looking at the Line 6 Spider Series amps, would these be a good buy?
They include things like chorus, reverb etc, and theres more channels for over drive.
Buy or no buy? I'm looking into the 15 watt as it fits into my budget much better but at the same time looks more convincing than my Sqiuer SP-10. Although the SP-10 says on the back its a 22W it doesn't feel it, plus when you turn it up over like 5 or 6 on the volume it sounds horrible.
Quote by Sweet Children
Yes Mustaine, perhaps but at the same time people like Tom Delonge used to be with Fender with his own Tom Delonge Signature Guitar and now he's moved on to Gibson Les Paul with his custom cream and white stripe kinda thing. Look at Green Day, Billy Joe Armstrong has played tons of different guitars but Gibsons also and at this day we usually see him playing a Gibson Les Paul Junior. As you can see the variety of guitars in punk/alternative music is really starting to expand and since I wanna be something different I want to try a different guitar to the strat style so I can widen my experience in guitars but also find some things that may be better alternative to the Strat styles.

Btw I have been looking at the Line 6 Spider Series amps, would these be a good buy?
They include things like chorus, reverb etc, and theres more channels for over drive.
Buy or no buy? I'm looking into the 15 watt as it fits into my budget much better but at the same time looks more convincing than my Sqiuer SP-10. Although the SP-10 says on the back its a 22W it doesn't feel it, plus when you turn it up over like 5 or 6 on the volume it sounds horrible.

stay away from line 6 low end amps as well. my recommendations will be the roland cube series and vox valvetronix series. also tom delonge now infact uses a Gibson 335 with a dirty finger humbucker in the bride. dont forget that b.j.a did also use primarily a fernandes strat copy in his old day. so you really got two choice either get a strat with a humbucker in the bridge or get a gibson
I'd say at 6 months of playing you shouldnt be looking into another guitar, the squire strats arent bad guitars, but if you insist you need one then i'd say save for Mex strat or the SG special, but i would say go that bit further for a proper SG. (im 14) I've been playing a year now, and i feel i have progressed massively, so im getting possibly a Gibson Les Paul, my dad reckons you should always get the best there is, no point going half way. But i definately think another amp will have to bought first, a 50W or 100w.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
I'd say at 6 months of playing you shouldnt be looking into another guitar, the squire strats arent bad guitars, but if you insist you need one then i'd say save for Mex strat or the SG special, but i would say go that bit further for a proper SG. (im 14) I've been playing a year now, and i feel i have progressed massively, so im getting possibly a Gibson Les Paul, my dad reckons you should always get the best there is, no point going half way. But i definately think another amp will have to bought first, a 50W or 100w.

dont need 50w or 100w for bedroom practices. 15 watt tube or 30 watt solid state is good enough if not loud already for bedroom practices
Check out my band KoaN www.koanmusic.be
and a live video here

i've watch the live video..
they're not bad..
amazing.,..

ummm stay away from mg's. and your not going to get a good amp with lots of effects on it.

my friend told the same..
i have the 10 watt amp mg series...he told me if use much effects,i could damaged the speaker...so he asked me if have some money,he could help me to changed the original speaker to a magnet speaker...probably it may be better...
I mean get a 50W or 100W because no doubt he'll want to join a band when he gets good enough. Go for a marshall 300W stack dude. go all out.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Btw I wasnt intending on buying a guitar so soon... I already said I am looking into a new amp and a new guitar can wait till at least next year, i would like to get lots of ideas of what to look for later on thats all. Yes the thread is called "Guidance in buying a new guitar" but that does not mean now, or in a few months.
And thanks everyone, this has helped greatly.