Hey.

I need help choosing a cheap, good and durable bass. I'm just about to turn 15 and have asked my step-dad for one for my birthday and christmas joint present. I've literally just started playing, but what I have learnt I can lay down pretty well (even though it only be 4 songs, see how recently I've started..?).

Anyhoo, I reckon he'll go to around 100 pounds, maybe 120. And I'll probably try to shell out the rest, which should be around 30-40 extra quid. SO all in all I'd say my budget is around 130, with anything I can save adding onto that.

I know I won't be able to get anything spectacular in any way, but I'm asking for the best bass available at that price.

I listen mainly to 60/70's stuff but also like emo and a bit of punk, and so would like a piece of wood fitting to those types of songs.

DO I have ANY hope?
For 150 you can get a Encore package which includes Bass, 10 watt amp, Bag (which is only waterproof unfortunately) and video. It's good for a begginer, but you might wanna wait for a little bit and save up for a Better bass deal.

Try the trade-it though, as it normally has some good deals.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
if it was for me, i would always choose any Fender or Squier p-bass for playing punk, but they are not so cheap though... i suggest you buy Yamaha, i have it for almost 5 years and it is really good and not so expensive
yamaha rbx170, really good begginners bass for the price.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
I'd say save for a bit longer and get the next class up. 250-350 pounds. (I think; I'm from the US and cant count really well. That's why I dont do drums.)
www.myspace.com/ziggyzu

Stuff: Epiphone EB-3, Custom Made Jazz Bass, Dean Vendetta 4.0, Ovation Mandolin, Ibanez 78 Dreadnought Artist, Martin 12 String, Casio Privia, Behringer Mixer 1204, (2)Rokit 8's, Mac Mini w/ Logic Express, Micro Korg
Quote by shamozz
Hey.

I need help choosing a cheap, good and durable bass. I'm just about to turn 15 and have asked my step-dad for one for my birthday and christmas joint present. I've literally just started playing, but what I have learnt I can lay down pretty well (even though it only be 4 songs, see how recently I've started..?).

Anyhoo, I reckon he'll go to around 100 pounds, maybe 120. And I'll probably try to shell out the rest, which should be around 30-40 extra quid. SO all in all I'd say my budget is around 130, with anything I can save adding onto that.

I know I won't be able to get anything spectacular in any way, but I'm asking for the best bass available at that price.

I listen mainly to 60/70's stuff but also like emo and a bit of punk, and so would like a piece of wood fitting to those types of songs.

DO I have ANY hope?

I'd like to thank you for actually having something important to say and asking for help in a nice manner instead of the usual threads around here. I'm not too sure about prices over there in the UK but Ibanez and some low end Fenders are always good for the money, the cheap Peavy I played wasn't too shabby either.

Welcome to the board.
hey man, u can get a johnshon package with a 15watt amp, and gig bag, for like 130...that was my first bass, and it was very reliable and sounds pretty good too....u mite wanna check one of those out....keep strong with the 4 string...
get an ibanez gsr200. Cheap ibanezs are really good for their price
Are you ready for some hardcore man on Manatee action?
Both respectable basses for the price. I've never been a fan of Ibanez, but this is pure;y personal preference. Yamaha make solid basses - i would probably go with that one. Make sure you visit a shop and play some. Search for your local music shop and see what they have. Defo try and play them before you buy. Even £1000 basses might not feel right FOR YOU!!

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.. and welcome to the land of bass
Quote by Applehead
Both respectable basses for the price. I've never been a fan of Ibanez, but this is pure;y personal preference. Yamaha make solid basses - i would probably go with that one. Make sure you visit a shop and play some. Search for your local music shop and see what they have. Defo try and play them before you buy. Even £1000 basses might not feel right FOR YOU!!

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.. and welcome to the land of bass

Many thanks brother, I'll probably go for the Yamaha.. although I personally think the Ibanez is prittier.. still, that doesn't matter, 'tis all about the feel and sound of the wood.. I think.. :

Anyhoo, now we move onto amps and the like.

???

ANY suggestions?
It is about the feel and sound but you've got to look at the thing too!

Just buy a small practice amp, 10 or 15 watts will do fine for now. I bought a little Hartke one which last me for near two yesrs just fine... it was about £90, the smallest Hartke they do..
[I know about cables and picks and ****e, just anything worth mentioning?]
A tuner!
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
You will need a tuner of some sort. I am a die hard, and will tell you to get a tuning fork ! But an electronic tuner will be fine for now.

Bass
Amp
Cables
Tuner
Yourself

That's all you need bro

P.s When you start, play with picks and fingers, dont depend on one or the other. You will thank me in the long run, trust me.

edit: damn Force beat me to it !
Quote by Applehead

P.s When you start, play with picks and fingers, dont depend on one or the other. You will thank me in the long run, trust me.

+1million
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I have a tuner, Qwiktune thing. Has cable holes so.

I am playing just fingers at the moment but will start with pick aswell.

That quicktune has tones as well. Try getting it as close to in-tune as possible wit the tones, and then check with the cable in it. Excellent training for your ear...
ok dude, I'm tuning my acoustic with it at the moment so am getting the ear training you mentioned.

Also helping me with names of strings and ****e, which is, y'know, helpfull.

jk
i just bought a new ibanex EDB-400 and its amazing buy one too!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!