Right, so I've decided to build a Tube Screamer 808 and got the parts yesterday. I've built things before (mostly kits) and one pedal that didn't work out. I'll be including lots of pictures as I know you all love them . They're on the big side so you can see something. The schematics can be found here:
Tonepad
General Guitar Gadgets

I wanted to be a little neat with the parts and got tape to stick them down on a piece of paper. I'm too good at losing 'em.

Below are the other parts. The blue diode cost me [read, my dad] ?2.50, while the other colours [red, green, yellow] were only ?0.30.

Now onto the boards. I'm using one of these perfboards that still need to be cut to size.

A pack of wires that I've bought some time ago:

I also got a new enclosure [a Hammond box] for ?13.95 It's the one in the middle and is a lot smaller than the box I bought before for like ?25,- It's actually 4.3 x 3.2 x 1.7 for the ones that are interested.

Now this is where I need your help. I don't know which way is the best for the knobs to be alligned. Here are the options:

"Gear":
1980s Copy of Les Paul [unknown brand]
1980s Acoustic [unknown brand]
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Moonrock
DIY Tubescreamer TS808
Carlsbro Kickstart 25 amp

Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org

My Tube Screamer Build
Last edited by uuhi at Jul 22, 2006,
(It didn't fit with the first post).

And I'm also not too sure about the paint. I read that the Hammond boxes are quite picky when it comes to paint so do I have to prime it first? Is there any sanding involved?
I'm also leaning towards a vintage colour. Right now I've got these options (see below), but feel free to suggest something.

"Gear":
Moonrock
DIY Tubescreamer TS808

My Tube Screamer Build
I first make the circuit before I even start thinking about the enclosure, you really need to figure out how much space that actual circuit board is going to take so you know where you can place the other parts
^^ indeed! and the knobs should be option 1
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Quote by seljer
I first make the circuit before I even start thinking about the enclosure, you really need to figure out how much space that actual circuit board is going to take so you know where you can place the other parts

I know that I should do that first. The reason why I didn't is 'cause my father's like an "electronics expert" and he told me the schematic is small and will fit in the box with no problem. There will also be space for a battery so things are all good. Besides, I was just trying out what would look the best.

I'll be starting this build in a few days.
"Gear":
Moonrock
DIY Tubescreamer TS808

My Tube Screamer Build
ah, yeah. If its the 1590BB you should have too much trouble.

the one the left is a 1590BB with a Rat inside it (the Rodent from GGG which doesn't use a really tight layout), the one on a right is a Tubescreamer from Tonepad.com inside the smaller 1590B, very nice small layout
(Invalid img)
Option 3 and colour 4 look the best.
Good luck!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Pink_Zeppelin
I've just started to make the same pedal as my first build, but i got the ready to solder pcb from www.generalguitargadgets.com, I'm lazy.
Good luck with it

how hard is it to build a pedal from that site? i've done a bit of electronic before and will be doing more in my next term of uni (building amps and such). just wondered coz its a lot cheaper than buying them.

Also how much has it cost you? coz you've got me thinking about building one now and as Christmas is coming up getting someone to buy me all the parts.
Last edited by stiff-upper-lip at Dec 8, 2006,
Man, 2.50 for an LED? You got ripped!

It's not very hard...don't buy a kit though, go to www.smallbearelec.com and order parts, and only order the PCB (if you're gonna use a PCB) from GGG. Cheaper.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Colour option #3 for paint, and layout #1 for the controls. 2.50 is a rip off for a LED, considering you got a load for .30. Anyway, good luck with it.
hey where did you get the perfboard from?
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Did you get one of those high output LEDS and that's the reason why it's $2.50?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."