Ya, so me and my band are playing our first show tonight. The other guitarist and drummer have both played live but the singer and I haven't.

Does anyone have any tips for what to bring and how to prepare?

We are practicing right before we leave to go to the show. Do you think that this is a good way to calm our nerves and get us ready?
yeah some tips ...

ahmm...
first of all... dont panic! its veryvery dumb to panic if you do sth wrong or sth like that
just go on playing and do not think about this mistake you've made

then also very bad thing if you dont look to the people listening to you...
you know just looking on your guitar is very baaaaaaaaad
smile look at the people watching you or sth like that...
it looks like you're relaxxed then ^^

but i think be urself and don't panic ...would be the best summary for what you can do...^^

greez

mt-head
(i just played 6 gigs with my band...)
Last edited by mt-head at Jul 22, 2006,
Good call on the practice session beforehand, it helps. Just run through everything and do some last-minute tune-ups, then everything will feel well and good before you go out.

If you have doubt hanging over your head about a particular part, that can cause stress which you don't need.
go to the show a little early, so that if theres any screw up with equipments ull have time to repair them. Also bring an extra guitar so that u can just grab a new one during a song wtih a string breaks. most importantly dont panic man. Look at it this way, your tryin to play your best show possible. The only way your gonna do that is if you have fun and stay loose. good luck
mt-head made a good point about not letting mistakes bother you. If you're up there and you hit a wrong note and you start to grimace or something like that, then that just looks awful to the people watching you. Just keep on rocking away, and if people pay more attention to you than just necessarily your playing, they won't be likely to notice your mistakes as much.
And there's really no need to be nervous. My bandmates tend to get somewhat nervous, but I've never really been... or have I seen the need to be. As long as you're up there playing away, having a good time, and getting in "the zone" (as a guitarist, you might already know what this is), then playing live shows will be much more fun than they are nerve-racking.
Thanks for all the tips guys. What should I do if I break a string during the middle of a song though? Should I keep playing through the song without it or just grab my backup during the song?
Quote by jmac72187
Thanks for all the tips guys. What should I do if I break a string during the middle of a song though? Should I keep playing through the song without it or just grab my backup during the song?

Hmm... depends. If it's a string you use a lot throughout the whole song, then I'd suggest quick grabbing your backup.
If it's a string you can live without for that song, just finish the song up and then snag your backup.
Or, the third and always trustworthy alternative: don't break a string.
Quote by SethMegadefan
Hmm... depends. If it's a string you use a lot throughout the whole song, then I'd suggest quick grabbing your backup.
If it's a string you can live without for that song, just finish the song up and then snag your backup.
Or, the third and always trustworthy alternative: don't break a string.

I don't usually break strings. Maybe once every many months a string will break but not that often. I don't rape the strings, I play them.
Yeah, good luck to ya dude!

Just don't panic and if you miss a chord or something just forget about it and go onto the next one.

DON'T PANIC!!

And good luck!
Quote by jmac72187
I don't usually break strings. Maybe once every many months a string will break but not that often. I don't rape the strings, I play them.

I don't very often either, but it happens, you know? You've gotta be prepared for the worst.
So the show went on tonight. We went on 3rd and did pretty well. I made no mistakes, didn't brake any strings and kept the pick in my hand. The only thing that went wrong was when my other guitarist jumped and his cable came out and he missed a riff. People didn't really notice though. We got many compliments and now I can't wait to play another. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think it helped to keep me from being nervous.
Good work dude, all the tips you're getting's gonna help me at my first show. I still have yet to play one...but yeah...play any cover songs?
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
Quote by I Walk Alone
Good work dude, all the tips you're getting's gonna help me at my first show. I still have yet to play one...but yeah...play any cover songs?

Good luck at your first show. It was a great feeling. I was fine until right when we started playing and then I felt nervous but that wore away quickly. People started to get into it and we got a bunch of compliments.

We didn't play any cover songs tonight. Tonight was all originals. We will probably work on a cover soon. We just have to decide on what song to do.

Thanks again everyone.
I've got my first gig on saturday, with a band I just joined as their bassist was being a dick. Luckily we're redoing the 2 songs they already have and we're making 2 more so gonna be fun, abit nervous though even if it is 6 days away.

Hopefully all Will go well.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by jesusgonewrong
I've got my first gig on saturday, with a band I just joined as their bassist was being a dick. Luckily we're redoing the 2 songs they already have and we're making 2 more so gonna be fun, abit nervous though even if it is 6 days away.

Hopefully all Will go well.

Listen to the advice in this thread. Practice as much as you think you need. The better you think you know the songs, the more confidence you will have. Good luck.
Bring any extras you can- leads, strings, picks, and a full toolkit for your guitar. The amount of times my arse has been saved because I brought backups!!!

Also, gaffa tape all of your connections in your amps and into the wall. We used to accidently pull leads out a lot, but now that's a thing of the past. I'd also advise getting a friend to sit by your equipment when you're not using it... just 2 weeks ago I lost my mic lead and my mic stand! Bastards...

Good luck!
Whooo, my first chance playying in front of people was last night. Wasn't with my band, instead was with people in a council music scheme thing, but around 100 people turned up, ranging from parents to emo kids.

I was playing on four numbers - one entirely by myself, one with a bassist and a drummer, and also playing some lead guitar on two others.

About two minutes before the first one, nerves hit, and having been pretty cocky all day I was suddenly petrified. The song was more of a poem really, as I can't sing I'd just decided to recite my lyrics over the guitar, using dramatic emphasis etc. I walked out to play it, and as I was all in black, with spiked jewelry and a KoRn top, all the emo kids expected a metal act. They were in for something of a surprise, and as the opening chords of my E Minor piece strummed out, I suddenly thought everyone was going to hate the song.

The piece was a slightly whimsical number called "Not My Earth", with what I like to think are some fairly poignant lyrics about how impossible it is to be alone these days, and how everything has already been done. I don't know if the lyrical message got through to anyone, but the song dynamics went down well, and the tension eased a bit, though as it was just me, I felt completely vulnerable all the way through.

Immediately after, I was playing one of my best lyrics, with another clean, chordy guitar part, but a more upbeat one, with an angrier delivery to the lyrics. The song was called "Middle Class Sheltered Contempt", and it's a real political rant about the general state of things, delivered over a driving chord rythym, and some nice dynamic drumming. I was a lot happier during this one, and really tried to snarl out my words to the crowd below.

I murmured the obligatory "thank <i>you</i>" over the surprisingly elongated cheers, and walked offstage, shaking with sweat but feeling I'd done alright.

That was it for the hard part really, playing the lead on the other numbers was a lot less about me, and a lot less nerve-wracking, I even went in for a few rock clichés as I swung my axe about during a basic bendy petatonic solo.

Sorry for the blogginess, but once I started writing...
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Have either alcohol or caffiene (if you're underage) before so you'll be totally pumped then when you're up on the stage the adrenaline should act with it and you'll be fine.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
yeah. not to much alchohol though, it can really go two ways you can either be smashed and play a great show (kinda rare but it happens) or you can smashed and play a really really ****ty show (much more likely). Not really worth the risk,
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
To other peoples "firsts" its important that you dont show any expression when you mess up. If it's a cover, most of the people won't even REALIZE that you screwed up, and if it's your own song, then unless your guitar neck falls off or something, basically everyone won't notice. And my first gig i thought i was going to throw up in nerves, but like a minute into the first song i totally relaxed.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah. not to much alchohol though, it can really go two ways you can either be smashed and play a great show (kinda rare but it happens) or you can smashed and play a really really ****ty show (much more likely). Not really worth the risk,

Ya, look what happened to NIN when they all got really high and drunk before the show...I'm just posting this for the people who think its a good idea to get totally smashed before going out to play on stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVoRm0QCnO4
Alright. Here's my spill on live preforming.
The night before the show (or sometime before the show, the day of, whichever's more convenient for all your bandmates and yourself), have a runthrough. Not a practice. Try not to change much about your songs, if anything at all, and make sure everyone has their parts down.

Always.... ALWAYS have backup equipment. Bring another guitar, extra sticks, cables, etc.
Tape chords in various places if they have a tendency of coming out.
And most importantly.... when you get up on stage.... just roll with it. Just relax. Your audience will feed off what you project to them. So if you're nervous and not even looking up or moving the whole time, they'll be bored. But if you're jumping around and excited, they will be too. It's a mutual thing. Just relax.