Page 1 of 2
I know you can get 008s but idk if they go any lower.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
why would you want strings that small? they're just not phat enough for me....
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
i read in a thread the other day about some user which has 6's or 7's on his guitar...........thats just crazy, absolutely no tone whatsoever, thick strings all the way!
Yeah I use 10's. 8's would be way too small.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
I find 10's to thin, so I'd hate playing on 8's. I've played 9's, 10's, 11's and I'm now using 12's, which are perfect. Although the bending possibilities would be crazy.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
I use .09's. For some reason, I like their tone more than I do with fatties unless I'm playing something mellow or jazzy, in which case I use my Dannelectro which is equipped with .11 bluesteels.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
If you have maybe example......

Shredding guitar example Ibanez RG with good edge pro.... get .09s.... maybe u can only increase it by 10s only it will mess up the bridge and stuff....

If its fix bridge gibson lespaul style 10s and sh00t 20 lol....

But why do you ask for thinner strings? Are you crazy?
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I use 10's because they seem like the perfect balance of string size. The lower strings still get you heavy and the high strings are soloable. I love 11's on strats though.

The lowest gauge I've heard of anyone using are 8's. ^ And if some user has 6's or 7's, that is insane. I'd have to hear that. I already find 9's to be thin sounding and toneless.
Heavy is the way to go! I hate the tone of thin strings, so as far as I'm concerned they're a lazyman's option... 13s all the way!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
i read in a thread the other day about some user which has 6's or 7's on his guitar...........thats just crazy, absolutely no tone whatsoever, thick strings all the way!

i saw that thread too, they were 6's, i think it was a 42-6....lol that's so small. I just moved to 9's on the RG and it's a little too small, maybe tens or elevens next time.
Does anyone know of any shredders who use heavy gauges?
On a Steve Vai dvd I saw one of his techs pick up a pack of .007's and say "yeah, now we've got a new toy to play with". That kind of sums of the boring and un acheiving view that I feel Steve Vai has. As long as he can play something realy fast and have a tap solo in it he's happy.
Dave Tither
i use Gibson ultra light guage.. not sure of exactly what guage.. but whatever it is, its ultra light :P
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
8s would be like playing on a slip n' slide if you use anything over 9's.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by Dave2210
On a Steve Vai dvd I saw one of his techs pick up a pack of .007's and say "yeah, now we've got a new toy to play with". That kind of sums of the boring and un acheiving view that I feel Steve Vai has. As long as he can play something realy fast and have a tap solo in it he's happy.

Vai uses almost always uses .9s to what I know, he at one point was using .10s but switched back.

He can play fast enough in any case. .7s would allow for some crazy bending though which is probably what he would be doing with them.

Hendrix also used skinny strings, mainly for the bending.

Quote by God Am

The jazz guys go damn fast and usually use thicker gauges.
Last edited by seljer at Jul 22, 2006,
Quote by mishra
you wusses i use 17 gauge.

congrats...

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by mishra
you wusses i use 17 gauge.

No you don't, you twat.
I always use d'addario .008s (except at the moment, i have .010s on, which im not liking to much).

I find the thinner strings alot easier to play on, and cleaner.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
I always use d'addario .008s (except at the moment, i have .010s on, which im not liking to much).

I find the thinner strings alot easier to play on, and cleaner.

yea i like 9s. they are small and hard to grip at first, but after like 20 minutes, they get better and then they are so easy to play.
My Schecter eats .009 guage strings for breakfast, so regretfully, I am forced to use 10s.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
they are small and hard to grip at first.

Lol, i know the exact thing. Gotta get mine slightly dirty to grip them as well.
Been away, am back
I'm using Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (.11) but ive also used EB Standards (.10). But I have a First Act strat copy and the bridge is getting pulled up so I'm going to switch back to .9s. But I really like the .11s I have now
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by God Am
No you don't, you twat.

you're right i dont i just like to look cool in front of the internet.
Quote by mishra
you're right i dont i just like to look cool in front of the internet.

At least someone can admit it. If you really use such incredibly fat ****ing strings, then where do you get them?
from the local store, they dont sell them in regular packs they have to mix and match loose strings. for the thicker ones they'd have to use bass strings, the e b g d strings can be heavy gauge guitar strings, maybe even the a but then you'd need to go from heavy guitar to light bass strings.

i use 12s and my local store doesnt even carry those, not enough demand so they have to make a set from individual strings.
I think the kid with a 6 has a 7 string with a high A instead of a low B. And, IIRC, it was a piano wire.
haha i completely agree i use 13's on my strat, 12 if i cant find any 13s cuz im outta town or some **** like that

Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I find that with the right tone woods, you can get away with thin strings.

Using heavy strings for tone is just to compensate for ****ty tone woods, or to increase sustain on hollows/semi-hollows.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Full twang, you need full mids for that.

Thin strings are for pussies, go thick strings. .013s+ all the way.

(i am using .015s now )
No one makes anything smaller than .08, so you have to get em totally custom or find some banjo strings or something that are .07...

I use .08, easy to play on and I get I can get just as good a tone with my .08 as someone can get with .14 - string guage can make a difference on Acoustic guitars, but the difference is so small on electric guitars you cant tell - the amp has a WHOLE lot more to do with your tone than strings ever will, plus the only good guitar players I personally know use .08's
Quote by God Am

Hardly shredders, but Dan Hawkins and Stevie Ray Vaugne (sp?) used 12 guage strings. Not sure about SRV but Dan puts super glue on his fingers to stop them from bleeding on live shows (according to TG).

I used to use .11 guage strings but I couldn't do bends when playing fast, but I could do fine playing slow. I was switching back and forth between thin and thick strings before just sticking with .9s, which just feel and sound better to me while playing lead. I prefer thick strings when doing rhythm though Maybe I'll get some hybrids or something haha.
- Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty w/EMG 81 & EMG 85
- Ibanez S470 "Baby Blue"
- Jim Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah Pedal
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- POD 2.0
- Vox AD30VT
I use D'addarios 11s But I've gotten into allot of Solos and Fast leads with Bends and Vibratos, so I'm going to put on some D'addarios 10s on And see how I like it,
Quote by shorter_rocker
No one makes anything smaller than .08, so you have to get em totally custom or find some banjo strings or something that are .07...

I use .08, easy to play on and I get I can get just as good a tone with my .08 as someone can get with .14 - string guage can make a difference on Acoustic guitars, but the difference is so small on electric guitars you cant tell - the amp has a WHOLE lot more to do with your tone than strings ever will, plus the only good guitar players I personally know use .08's

Totally agree. The tone is not the reason for using different guages, f you ask me. If you wanna downtune crazily, then go for the .012s and above. f you re a regular player, just go for the easiest playing ones. Most people like .010s and .009s, but it's all about preference and which feels best, not the small difference in tone.
Page 1 of 2