how do you do pick scrapes correctly? mine always sound so dull and boring, they dont sound big and chunky like they are supposed to. how do i fix this?
Dont use a pick you really like and dont pansy about with it. Go from right up the neck and scrape with the side of the pick making sure you push hard enough to touch the frets.
Just play around and see what sounds good to you.

I always make sure I've got a decent amount of distortion on, and use the side of my pick. And also do it pretty fast too. But that's just me.
Ive kinda got the same problem... except mine sound good. TIs got alot to do with your tone and stuff. Just use one edge of the pick and one one or two of the thicker strings, press down and slide from the bridge towards the headstock for as long as you want.
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
damn, why did i immediately try it on my disgustingly large acoustic with it's way-too-tight strings, and put big string marks in my pick
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
its not gonna sound like you want it to on an acoustic... you need distortion to make it sound cool
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
Keep the pick at a like a 45 degree angle, then just scrape..simple! Just mess around for a while and you'll get the sound you want!
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

just slide the pick down the E and A strings....use a thinnish pick like dunlop .5 thats what i use i've had the same one for 4 months without losing it and and mine doesn't even have any marks on it.
Quote by rocknrollstar
You know your a guitarist when you constantly put down bassists

so true......
I find you get a better sound if you aim your pick at a 45 degree angle, with the top of the pick pointing away from the headstock, and pushing towards the headstock, so in effect, pushing into the windings.
Been away, am back
related question: when pulling a slow scrape (ie crazy train) how do you get back in between the bridge and neck fast enough to start the riff? do you just start plucking above the fretboard?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Sounds much cleaner if you mute with your fret hand by the nut.

If you start from the bridge and go really slow, you can almost make it sound like planes are flying through your amp.
Quote by mikeman
Sounds much cleaner if you mute with your fret hand by the nut.

If you start from the bridge and go really slow, you can almost make it sound like planes are flying through your amp.

i thought i was the only one

listen to Logz, that's exactly what i do and it sounds great
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by S0ulja23
you were a no0b back then???
Eh, the sad thing is I've still never done a correct pick slide

Still, I didn't act too noobish. =)

My grammar and spelling were quite good

Edit: Awesome avatar

Edit again: Wow, four consecutive smileys! That's amazing!

Edit again: Make that five

Edit again: Make this six!

Edit again: AH!
Make sure you push so the pick is touching the fretboard. Slide down from a pitch that's in the key of the song if you wanna get tech.