OK guys me and my friends are starting up a metal band and we have gotten money together for better gear and now it is time for bass. I need something that has good metal bass tone. Combo or half stack it doesnt matter as long as it sounds good and can play along with a full band without getting drowned out. Budget is 700 USD used preferably because you get more for your money thx for all suggestions.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Pretty much any amp can play with metal and not be drowned out. It's not the amp you need to worry about, it's your EQ.
OK how should i EQ it and what is a good amp for 700 dollars Used preferably
What do you have now?? If you have a half stack, you could upgrade the head and keep the head.

The classic "metal" amp is Ashdown...

If you have a cabinet already, I suggest getting either a Gallien Kreuger or an Ashdown head. Both will provide you with the material to sculpt a good tone.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-1001RBII-70050W-Biamp-Bass-Head?sku=482588
(PM me for a place where you can get that GK for $600)

And, personally, I believe that it is the person and their bass that give the tone, not the amp. The amp just makes everything louder, and EQ just highlights different aspects of your tone.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well... I have an Ashdown Mag 300 Head and Ashdown 4x10 "Deep" Cab. and I love it, I can get pretty much any sound from it I want. The head and the cab were $300 each. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

You could also get a Hartke 4x10 or 1x15 cab for $300, the VX series I think. And there's a Hartke head, the HA2500 or 3500, I don't remember, that is around $300, plus those have tube emulator's which will give you that deep, pounding metal sound.

You could get the GK Backline 600, 300 watts for $300, again, great deal, sounds great. And the Backline series cabs are, once again, $300 for either the 4x10 or 1x15 if I'm not mistaken.

HorridxHopes is right, there really isn't a metal amp, your EQ is a big part of it. A lot of metal bands like to scoop their mids and boost the lows and highs to get that thumping, punchy sound. I'm myself am guilty of this. Just don't over scoop to the point where you amp makes that awful "farting" noise, and I've noticed that scooping the mids is very harsh on my VU meter.

And my advice, get a half stack, less weight to carry, easier to move.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
That Ashdown Looks very promising as does the GK 1001 RB only problem is we have neither a Head or a Cab so we would need both if it is a half stack what cab would go good with the GK 1001
What you could do is get the Ashdown MAG300-C which is the same as the 300 head with a deep cabinet, justs tuck together for like $100 less.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Ya i saw that it looked promising but if i got the Galien Krueger what Cab do you think would go good with that.
for metal id say i 1x15
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Well the 1001-RB is $750 USD, which is $50 over your budget and you'd still need a cab. Personally I prefer the definition and punch you get with a 4x10 over the low end rumble of a 1x15, idealy I would get a 4x10 and 1x15 but two cabs and a head would be out of your price range unless you get a crappy head and two decent cabs.

Like I said, the Backline 600 is 300 watts for $300. And 300 watts is plenty to be heard over guitarists and a drummer. If you're partial to GK, I would say go with this head.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
almost any decent bass amp will do metal, as long as its loud.

60-100w is EASILY enough to get past a drummer, ive gigged small halls with less than 100watts, you dont need a stack unless you're playing big halls or outdoor gigs.
Ok i think for now were gonna go wih the Ashdown 410 Combo it seems like the best bet
Quote by Syn Harvest
Ok i think for now were gonna go wih the Ashdown 410 Combo it seems like the best bet

w000, that's my exact amp. and I get a good metal tone out of it
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Awesome do you know how it will sound with a Tech 21 Bass Driver on it
Why get the combo? Get the half stack, same price, same exact gear, and a lot easier to move. It's what I would do.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10