i have a serious problem (i think). i've decided to change out a single coil pickup to a humbucker. When I stripped the wire, i found something odd. The wire going to the single coil has inside of it one white wire and a bunch of metallic strands. in the back of the single coil the white wire is saudered to the back and the strands are bunched up and saudered next to it. The wire coming out of the humbucker has inside of it one red wire, one white wire, and a bunch of strands. How can i attach these two wires together?
PS- i already know i have to pot the pickups differently, and find which ones are hot are which are ground. by the way, does anybody know how to test which wires are hot/ground? i can't find the schematics
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I don't remember how to wire humbuckers exactly, it's been a long time sinc eI've done it, but the strands are the ground wire, and the term is soldered. Have you googled it? (how to wire humbuckers) I know I did it once, but I don't remember what I did.
The stranded wire is the groundwire, you're using shielded wires. So the white wire would be your "hot" lead, and the stranded wire would be your ground. The red and white wires are basically ends for each of your coils, You solder them together and then solder them to wherever you need them to be soldered to. Then you solder the wire strands to the ground (again, they're likely the ground lead).
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 22, 2006,
so I would sauder the strands from the single coil wire to the strands off the humbucker?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
No, solder them to the pickup switch. Or just check seymourduncan.com's schematics for a rough idea, no matter what make the humbucker is, itll be basically the same wiring.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
They are old, non-after market pickups, so they don't have a manual. And i am not putting in a whole new wire, and the ground goes where it needs to go at the bottom of the wire, so i think i just have to attach the ground wires where i'm making the wire connection
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Last edited by shredmeiser101 at Jul 23, 2006,