i built a pedal based off of these schematics:http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/rogermayer_classicfuzz_LAH.pdf . when i finished, the volume control worked but there is no fuzz and the fuzz pot. made no difference in the sound. the volume of the pedal was also quieter than expected but it is not big enough of a difference to matter a whole lot. i had to use a mono jack for the input instead of a stereo as the schematics show. so i put two wires on one side of it and had the ground on the other. would this effect the fuzz? the schematics also didnt say which way two of the capacitors went so i put them facing the same way as the others. ive tested the pedal and im pretty sure none of it is shorting out. i suppose that while soldering the wires on to the fuzz pot. i burnt it out but im pretty sure i never got it THAT hot so im at a loss of the cause. any suggestions?
well you only have to worry about capacitor orientation with electrolytic caps (those caps that look like cylinders). Other than that, the stereo jack is only to turn off the pedal when you unplug the input jack (so you don't waste your battery).

As long as your components are correct and correctly wired you should be fine. Though it's strange that the fuzz pot doesn't do anything. I say, just retrace the circuit (it's not that bad). And then double check your component values.
You can use a mono jack. Did you use the same transistors there. AC128? They are germanium transistors, not silicon. If you use different ones, you sometimes dont get the right sound.

EDIT: yea stereo jacks are for power on/off, but there is a switch there by the output that does power on/off which is better.
Check transistor bias.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
You can use a mono jack. Did you use the same transistors there. AC128? They are germanium transistors, not silicon. If you use different ones, you sometimes dont get the right sound.

EDIT: yea stereo jacks are for power on/off, but there is a switch there by the output that does power on/off which is better.

i couldn't get any ac128 transistors, but i got some that are the equivilent of them.
They look okay to me. YOu might have to adjust that 18k resistor for optimum sound though.
can u post a pic of ur project (in macro if poss) may be able 2 pic u'r prob. Also does this have input switching? If so u will need 2 mod it 2 work with a mono jack. Have u checked 2 make sure u'r pots r the right type (i.e. log or linear) log pots r usually marked with a 'B'. Im only guessing as i dont have a copy of the circuit & the link u suggested 2 look at my computer hasnt the right program 2 look at.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Have u checked 2 make sure u'r pots r the right type (i.e. log or linear) log pots r usually marked with a 'B'.

Other way, log pots are usually marked with A (think A-udio). Linear are usually B. That and the type of pot wouldn't change the fact that the "fuzz" should still change whether it was a linear or log pot. What's more likely is that either that's how the fuzz is supposed to be like, or something's not the right value/connected wrong.
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 23, 2006,
i finally figured out whats wrong. because im using a mono jack instead of a stereo i have to ground the battery. and the connection to my capacitor for the fuzz got broken when i was soldering another part.thnx for yalls help. it helped me figure out what was wrong.
Last edited by sumguy67 at Jul 23, 2006,
OK. so that STILL didnt fix it. ive checked my circuit and all my parts and i know for a fact that i have all of the correct parts, everything is connected solidly, and nothing is shorting out. i have NO clue as to what the problem is so i guess that this thread is still going but im just about ready to drop this thing and just buy a kit instead. so anymore suggestions?
Sorry 2 keep harping but is it input switched? If so the mono plug wont switch the unit off/on. but this is a secondary prob. If the input jack is used 2 power up the device (via the stereo part of the jack) i.e. when the jack is put in the power is connected across the second 'ring' on the jack. This effectively is putting the input transistor at ground - voltage. U said u had 2 ground the battery & u got it working? Sounds like the prob is in this area? Try connecting the battery directly 2 the + & - of the circuit & connect u'r input jack (tip to the input) (ring to neg of circuit). The idea of input or output switching is to save on battery power. It turns the unit off any time u dont have an input/output plugged in.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Sorry 2 keep harping but is it input switched? If so the mono plug wont switch the unit off/on. but this is a secondary prob. If the input jack is used 2 power up the device (via the stereo part of the jack) i.e. when the jack is put in the power is connected across the second 'ring' on the jack. This effectively is putting the input transistor at ground - voltage. U said u had 2 ground the battery & u got it working? Sounds like the prob is in this area? Try connecting the battery directly 2 the + & - of the circuit & connect u'r input jack (tip to the input) (ring to neg of circuit). The idea of input or output switching is to save on battery power. It turns the unit off any time u dont have an input/output plugged in.

my pedal isnt jack switched. i bought a switch thats made to power the pedal on and off regardless of wheter or not im plugged into it. my circuit is completed and everything in the pedal works but i have no fuzz. the volume works (as i mentioned earlier) which is why this problem is strange. theroeticly the pedal should work but it doesnt.
geta multimeter or somethin.....check the caps arent blown.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
i dont know of a place around where i live that sells them but i had someone who knows more about electronics than i do help me on this pedal and they are 100% positive that the capacitors arent blown.
You'd be able to tell if the caps are blown. I mean, they would literally be "blown". In the explosive sense. Atleast, they would clearly look damaged.

Double check your circuit and your connections. Also make sure you're connecting the input line to the input and the output line to the output (sometimes it gets mixed up with a switch and everything, it's happened to me once, but I was working with the pedal upside down)
ive double checked everything. the circuit's right and all my connections are secure but i have no fuzz.