Hey, not quite sure if this is the right place for this, but whatever.

I was just wondering what a band would be like if they had 2 bassists. Would they have a lead and a rhythm and harmonize or what? For example if Primus had a 'rhythm' bassist, while Les did his fills and whatnot. Basically im just wondering what it would sound like, and if there is a band with two bassists, what do they sound like?
Quote by Toilets
Emus are actually one of my favourites out of the 7 flightless species of birds. Why has everyone got this problem with them?

Quote by TheKeep21
whats ur guyz fave band. mine is lead zepelion or something like that. the guitar player of them is so good.
I just no that alot of blues bands do but i dont know any names and i think a few songs by motohead they have 2 basses.
Look up Bass Extremes- Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. Double Trouble (Stevie Ray Vaughn) had a pianist and a bassist, and they would both play a bassline, like in Crossfire.
Some Sludge Metal bands have two basses and NO guitar at all.

Depends what music you wanna play,but I guess If done correctly it would work/has worked.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
ummm motorhead only has one bassist.... Lemmy ....and as for 2 bass players i don't think its really necessary, but you could have one play bass with the bass turned up and the other play with the treble nd mids boosted and the bass turned way down and it would definately sound interesting like that.
There's two basslines in The Beatles song 'Think For Yourself'.
One is a fuzz bass tho
I prefer no bassists but thats just me.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
I prefer no bassists but thats just me.

I think that would get very annoying after a while. It would have nothing on the bottom to hold it together IMO. I think bass is a very necessary entity (??) in most music.
Member #4 of the "I have parents over 50 and i'm a teen" club, pm tanglewoodguit to join.
I think Cradle Of Filth has 2 bassists but I'm not sure. I know there are a few metal bands out there that have 2.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I saw a band with two bassists once.
But i can't remember if they were any good.

It could work. Some recordings will have many tracks of bass doing different things, it's cool to hear bass stepping beyond a supporting role.
search on www.youtube.com for MIKE'S TALENT SHOW.
something will come up, its a really good band with a bunch of people, including 2 bassists.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I've seen couple bands who had two bassists. One band just had the bassists double each other. The other had bass lines alternate every 1/2 meausre. That was cool for a while, but it got boring.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
I don't think it would really work, however, on Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew' album he has both an acoustic and an electric bassist. The acoustic player plays the typical 'bass' with the electric bassist playing more melodic lines over the top, but this can be pretty hard to hear depending on the mixing of the version you have.
Quote by JohnnyLovesYou
Ive always wanted to see/be in a band with two bassists,one plays 5 string BEADG (rhythm) and one plays 5 string EADGC distorted (lead)

...Good idea with the second 5 string being tuned higher. *applause*

I tried it briefly with my bass friend and I both on bass. I had always wanted to play in a band with him but i didn't play guitar back then so we tried my bass being dist'ed and i played higher parts and even chords whereas he played the lower end. I'd like to hear how your thing comes out, if u do it. good luck.
Quote by nOtReGiStErEd
I saw a band with two bassists once.
But i can't remember if they were any good.

It could work. Some recordings will have many tracks of bass doing different things, it's cool to hear bass stepping beyond a supporting role.

Amen.
Quote by CODE
I think one bassist is enough.

i second that
Originally posted by greatdevourer
Dear Relationships Thread,
I am so sorry I've neglected you and have been so blind.
God_luvs_a_trya