hey im of getting a new video card just wondering if anyone can give me tips or recommendations because the one i was looking at was the Radeon X800 and it turned out to be 350 bucks, which im not willing to spend on a video card. So could I get some help on cheaper but still modern and good performence vid cards? (preferably an ATI one) thanks.
go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com ... dont buy from a store they overcharge. What kind of applications or games do u need it for?

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
nVidia 6800GT 256Mb is what I'm using at the moment and it gets me great framerates in all the games I play, up to and including HL2:E1.

That's coupled with a gig of RAM and Athlon 3500 CPU (not overclocked).
Quote by Mr_Klown
nVidia 6800GT 256Mb is what I'm using at the moment and it gets me great framerates in all the games I play, up to and including HL2:E1.

Yeah Im using the 6800GS slightly overclocked... Im happy with it.

Phish - Waste
overclocked? video cards?

im a PC hardware noob... im ok with the software but can someone please learn me about hardware..?

pretty please?

i wont eat you that way.
Live. Love. Burn. Die...

vs

Im emo.
Quote by Mr_Klown

I use the 6800 as well. I think its probably about the best for you buck. I run a constant 150-200 fps on CoD2. Except I have 2 gigs Kingston and I also have the 3500 AMD.
Quote by Double Basser
What on earth is SRV?
it really depends what you do on your pc.

if u want the video card for gaming or if u just use your pc for random stuff like tlking on msn and forums and stuff...

it also depends on the games you play.....if u go all out and buy the latest games out your gonna want a 256mb G card.

if u just use ur pc for random stuff 125mb card will do fine
nVidea 5200FX. 100 bucks, great card. 256 MB. That's what I'm using on my PC right now.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
A video card is an expansion card that is placed into your computer in iether an AGP slot or more commanly a PCI Express slot. Your moniter then connects into the card. The card handles any visual/graphic rendering thus taking the load of your computers actual motherboard. This allows games and applications to perform better. Overclocking is when you force your card to run at a higher speed than it was actually made for. Kind of like an overdrive for a tube amp.

Phish - Waste
I heard from numerous computer geeks that nVidia cards are a lot better than ATI....I think.......
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
Quote by TehNez
nVidea 5200FX. 100 bucks, great card. 256 MB. That's what I'm using on my PC right now.

That's what I have (I think, I don't think mine is 256mb) and I can't run TES3: Oblivion or Age Of Empires III With it...

I'm looking for a new graphics card too, thinking about the nVidia 6600GT
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by METALHEAD8465
I heard from numerous computer geeks that nVidia cards are a lot better than ATI....I think.......

They are both just as good. nVidia get's better in a cheaper price rage though.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Look on newegg, theres one around 170 and its 512 mb and it runs at some stupidly high speed, not much for overclocking but its running fast enough to where you dont really need too.
Quote by IrishBlues
go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com ... dont buy from a store they overcharge. What kind of applications or games do u need it for?

well i just installed prey then realized my radeon x300 didnt perform so well with it. I have the resolution and quality on low and it still lags like crazy. also i plan on getting halflife 2 eventually and i figure if prey is lagging, halflife probably would too. Also lets say you're watching a dvd on your computer, does the video card improve that pivcture too?
oh and thanks for all the tips ill look into the nVidia 6800GT 256Mb.
what hardware are you running? ram, processor, expansion slots available?
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
it might improve DVD quality, but nothing really noticeable.

what expansion slots do you have? i suspect since you have the X300 it's likely PCI-E. in which case, you're open to a whole slew of fast cards.

also...Nvidia, ATI, performance-wise it depends. for cards during the age of the Nvidia Geforce 6 Series (6200-6800), NVidia tended to top comparable ATI cards like the X800. for a while when the Nvidia 7800GTX was considered top dog, when compared to the ATI's comparable cards like (i think) the X850. as far as modern cards...that is the rest of the Geforce 7 series and ATIs X1 series, ATI cards tend to beat Nvidia cards (haven't seen too many head-to-head tests of the Geforce 7950 vs. the ATI X1900 yet though).

personally, i would go for Nvidia because i've had a good past experience with Nvidia cards. also, the drivers are usually better. for me, the telling case was when ATI released a Catalyst driver that reported cases of CRT monitor destruction. i'm sure it didnt happen to many people, but that kinda says a little something about the driver department

as far as Nvidia goes, the 6600GT is the bare minimum in terms of cheap midrange cards. for less than $120 you can get one online. and a beautiful card for cheap is the 7600GT, where you can get awesome performance for well under $170 online ($140 with rebates in some cases).

on the ATI side...i know less about, but i do know that the X1600 is a great card for about the same price range.

and once you get a card, overclocking is always a nice option (let's be clear though...its optional in the truest meaning of the word...do it only if you're pretty comfortable with computers, meaning you know the point at which you might potentially destroy your investment!) for Nvidia cards its pretty easy, just get the Coolbits registry fix. ATI i hear is a bit more challenging. always remember to overclock in increments though, so you don't cook your GPU.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Quote by pnblwzrd
hey im of getting a new video card just wondering if anyone can give me tips or recommendations because the one i was looking at was the Radeon X800 and it turned out to be 350 bucks, which im not willing to spend on a video card. So could I get some help on cheaper but still modern and good performence vid cards? (preferably an ATI one) thanks.

ATI is having a clearance sale right now. The X850Pro (AGP and PCI-E versions) are $139 from the ATI store (probly 12 dollars shipping). The X800XL (AGP only) is $119.00.

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=39

They are refurbished, but they still carry ATI's factory warrenty. I got my card (X800Pro) on ATI clearence about a year and a half ago, and it's been amazing so far. No problems whatsoever, and overclocks really well.

EDIT:

For those on a budget, they also have their AGP version of the 9800SE for 69 dollars. Great card for the gamer on a strict budget.
Last edited by ANGERisaGIFT at Jul 22, 2006,
Quote by rdineen
what hardware are you running? ram, processor, expansion slots available?

3.00GHz, 512MB RAM
and phobos it is a 182 MB PCI Express x16
thanks for all the help u guys know a lot.
do you happen to know what wattage your power supply (PSU) is? that can figure significantly into your decision (as it is in my decision on what card to get).
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
ATI > nVidia. IMO.

but threadstarter, you might wanna think about upgrading your ram to a gig eventually.
my new one came yesterday. I shall install it tonight

512mb ATI Radeon X1600Pro PCI-E.

It should own all

And brand new for only £100 - THANK **** FOR EBAY!
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"