Hi all,

im a bit confused, alot of people talk about taking their guitar to a shop to be "set up" or stuff like "yeh my guitar came already set up".

What does this actually envolve setting up? do all guitars come set up? even the ones you buy of the net?

thanks
they dont all come set up. Sut up means that the action, truss rod, intonation and pickup height. (and also tremolo tension if you have a tremolo system) have all been adjusted so that your guitar plays well. Some times they come set up from the net but a lot of times the set up can be messed up during shipping. Also you genneraly want to take it to the shop to have it set up to suit the particular way you play the instrument.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Every guitar comes set-up to be at the very least playable. However, no guitar bar some custom shop guitars will be constructed, strung and set to suit you. It is here that a set-up will be the option of choice where a guitar technician will adjust the guitar to its optimum and to a level that will suit you, your technique and other equipment.
Pickup height
Action
Intonation
Tremolo Settings
Bridge
Nut lubrication
Truss Rod
Fret Filing
Fret Dressing
Resoldering pots and other electronics
Just wondering, i sent my prestige for a set up. Everything's great, but the truss rod is adjusted to bend the neck a little, to remove the fret buzz. Action was high and yet there was buzzing. Now its low and plays well...but im not sure whether the neck would get screwed up after some time...
A full set up costs around $100 - $300 depending on how well it's done.

It's pricey, but it will feel like a new guitar, I suggest doing one every 2-3 years depending on your frequency of gigging, practicing etc.
^thats a really high estimate. (maybe if ur talking about a floyd.)
and i suggest learning how to set up ur guitar. especially, if its a only a $300 guitar to begin with.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well the fret dressing and filing etc are pretty expensive, especially the dressing.

Don't forget it's done by a PRO, so everything will most likely be perfect.

Of course, you can do it yourself, if you have the right tools and if you know what you are doing, through practice, you might be really good at it, but never as good as those pros, they do it as a living. Watch them do it once.
fret dressing isnt really a part of a usual set up.

most of the time, ur talking about truss rod, action, pup and pole heights, cleaning, string change, intonation, ect.
something like that will run about $40 and requires a small screw driver, allen wrenches and some oil.

and im not meaning to say anything against what u said but, i dont prescibe to the, 'if it's done by a PRO, it'll (most likely) be perfect,' mentality.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^yeah, i know.
i could tell from the question, he means a simple set up. when u pick up a new guitar.
are trying to get rid of some buzzing, lowering action. that sort of thing.

and jerry, depends on where u buy the guitar. ive gotten a couple from MF, came pretty well set up. but in general, most guitars need some adjusting after purchase.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

just while were on this topic, i got my ibanez (in sig) and i dont know if its setup right, the bridge's saddles are almost perfectly in line. is this an indication that it hasnt been setup for correct intonation etc as my previous guitar had them all in a zig zag.
Quote by thesimo
just while were on this topic, i got my ibanez (in sig) and i dont know if its setup right, the bridge's saddles are almost perfectly in line. is this an indication that it hasnt been setup for correct intonation etc as my previous guitar had them all in a zig zag.

Have you checked the intonation?
to the best of my ability, im not really sure if its alright, the harmonics seems to be directly over the fret wires, but im not really sure. thats why i was asking, to see if them being straight is an indication of having no setup
no way to know unless u check. take out a tuner.

fret a string at the 12th. see its tuning matches the open string's tuning.

and/or

fret a string at the 12th. see if it matching the tuning of the same strings 12th fret harmonic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Invictious

It's pricey, but it will feel like a new guitar, I suggest doing one every 2-3 years depending on your frequency of gigging, practicing etc.

a set up for me that includes all the normal action, truss etc plus they touch up paint jobs polish and clean the whole thing costs me £25 so bout $60 and its a floyd rose bridge
Quote by jj1565
no way to know unless u check. take out a tuner.

fret a string at the 12th. see its tuning matches the open string's tuning.

and/or

fret a string at the 12th. see if it matching the tuning of the same strings 12th fret harmonic.

hi there m8, thanks for the information!

well i checked and im out of tune on all strings but the A @ 12th fret, bummer, ill have to pay the guitar shop a visit

thanks again m8

*hopes he doesent end up on the stupidest guitarist thread for this*
^haha, no way. its a good question.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by fullmetaltrash
why or what makes your truss rod move, well need ajusting after a while

its wood. so it will settle time to time.
also, strings /gauge changes, temperature changes. that sort of thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Invictious

Man, you got ripped the **** off. I got a complete setup on my strat for $40. It included Truss rod adjustment, innotation, setting the action, fixing the tremolo, pickup height, and leveling a few high frets.

Anyway, yeah, if you take it into the shop, they will check for things, and you should be able to tell them how you want it set up, and they can do it.
Quote by thetoastinator

you should be able to tell them how you want it set up, and they can do it.

Its technically not a set-up if you don't actually detail how you want the guitar to be set in favour of your needs.
LAF, sure it is. its just not set up to ur specs.
dont know why ud do it that way tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62