Page 1 of 2
ive been playin for around a year now and all i seem to be able to manage is really lame ass songs that arent fast to play, is it me or do these things take a lot of time
what tool fan said
those things come with time, just keep practing, and you will get better with time, some people are faster/slower than others when it comes to getting things down on the guitar
things dont help that i messed up at school and played a solo wrong and know im known as the guy hu cant play guitar and its a real confidence knocker, i just wanna blow em away with a super fast solo but i cant
Rule #1 when playing guitar, don't do it for other people do it for yourself. If you are trying to learn guitar to impress people, you shouldn't be playing.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
i suggest that u quit playing and go kill urself b/c if u cant shred at 200bpm after 1 year, you suck. hahahaha jk man

just keep practicing, work on ur scales and learn harder songs! speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
rawwwwwwwwwwww
no, i play for myself, i enjoy it but i want people to apreciate how hard it is not to say 'ur crap' and when i see ppl in bands shreddin their ass off and i just think, 'wot are they doing that im not'
all your comments are usefull and also, what should i practice i ahve never practiced scales bacause i dont understand the square box thing, i get the tab version but theres none of those around
Hah, the problem is that you're playing stuff you can't. In the bedroom you can practice your ass off for hours, but if you can't make it sound good live/infront of an audience there really is no point playing it. People will appreciate a nice simple strummed chord progression more than than a sloppy out of tune guitar solo... Thats if you're aiming to 'impress' people.

More importantly you should be working hard on all aspects of guitar to become better for yourself, not others. Being a musician is very different from just being a guitarist and trying to show off...

Anyway,
all i seem to be able to manage is really lame ass songs that arent fast to play
Speed is nothing, guitar is all about rhythm and keeping a groove, and if you're a decent enough player you can incorporate speed into your playing, else it wont work (so don't force it.. which is what you're doing).

It comes with time. Screw the people that call you names, work hard and be true to yourself.
Spend about 4-5 hours a day playing over a period of ten years. Playing guitar and just being able to shred your head off isn't easy, it's really hard. When people bug you about sucking just hand them a guitar and say play, and if they say "well you have been playing for a year, and I don't play at all" just say well it's still harder to play fast than you think, it will be a long time before I am able to play like the greats. When you say that you know you arn't that great but it take time ect you take away any power they have in saying you suck, I know I suck so what I'm still playing and getting better....what are you doing with your life? Worked for me
thanx for ur comments, im just gunna say 'f**k you, im better than you are so stfu'
You don't have to be hostile, just ignore them.
thank you for all your comments, they are all helping me a lot, all other coments welcome besides the 'u like sum41 and they suck' ones
When - like me - you're not one of those can-do-anything-by-feel-instantly types, technical accuracy really helps. Spend some time working on theory books, make sure you use the correct fingerings, etc.

And exercises are always good, but give yourself some noodling time, too. Learn the minor petatonic and blues scales (to start with), and give yourself some time to just improvise with them...don't try to do runs and speedy passages beyond your current ability, just make sure you're playing stuff RIGHT - using the right notes, the right fingers to fret with, the right picking.

You said there wasn't TAB scales around, so here's the minor petatonic and blues scales in G for you. To play them in a different key, just move EVERY note up or down the same amount of frets.

Minor petatonic:

------------------------------------3--6--3-------------------------------------
-----------------------------3--6-------------6--3------------------------------
----------------------3--5---------------------------5--3-----------------------
---------------3--5-----------------------------------------5--3----------------
--------3--5-------------------------------------------------------5--3---------
-3--6---------------------------------------------------------------------6--3--

And Blues (only two notes added):

----------------------------------------3--6--3-------------------------------------------
--------------------------------3--6-------------6--3------------------------------------
----------------------3--5--6---------------------------6--5--3-------------------------
-----------------3--5----------------------------------------------5--3------------------
--------3-4-5------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3----------
-3--6------------------------------------------------------------------------------6--3---

EDIT: Oh yeah, and try some online video lessons - do a user search on UG for PickNGrin, and look through his columns, some of those are pretty good for novice-to-decent level techniques.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Last edited by TheUnholy at Jul 22, 2006,
You could just learn power chords and palm-muting...You can rock out to those for a while...Honestly, you can't just start out playing an instrument and expect to just "shred." You have to learn the basics first...Start out with easy chords, like power chords, open chords, or maybe some bar chords, GET GOOD AT THEM, and then move on to harder things. Oh, and I think someone else might have already said this, but you can NOT expect to be able to play fast solos if you haven't even learned scales...Also, you'd be suprised at how much pleasure the simple chord progressions can give you.
thank you to the unholy for his contribution, that tab has helped and ill continue to use it thank you
No bother.

I should have pointed out where the root notes were, as well, in case you haven't delved into learning your fretboard much.

the root notes (the G notes) in those scales are the notes

----------------------and-3--
-------------------------------
----------------5-------------
----3--------------------------

To begin with, until you're a bit more confident with your scales, try always starting and finishing on one or other of those notes. It'll make the whole thing sound more "in key" and "right".
Ok, so you want to play fast, i understand that. You got to work on it, that and accuracy. But until then, in my opionion learn some David Gilmour esque type solos, cause i don't know if you know this, but it's harder to play slow and with emotion then it is to as fast as possible, i guarentee you that, they would be cluesless of how to do that, if they critisize ask them to pull that off, and they wont be able to, and most likely, MOST LIKELY, there just wanking it.
I like www.looknohands.com/chordhouse

It's not EXACTLY tab, but it's easy to understand diagrams, and you can get any scale in any key from it.

I don't know of any other sites, but I'm sure that Google does. If there's any specific scales you want help on, there's bound to be someone here that can help.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

Squigglymetal!
and also whne i play fast i get a hell of a lot of unwanted string noise, what could i do to stop that
Play slower. Hate to sound blunt, but your fingers have to know EXACTLY where they're going before you try speeding them up, or they'll do all sorts of accidental pull-offs and stuff.

Also, you can always do a subtle palm mute - rest the heel of your right hand on the strings JUST left of the bridge. You should also make sure your fingers come off the strings cleanly, and don't sound the string open.

If you can play the same stuff fine slower, you should be able to just gradually speed up, and identify what the problem is as soon as it starts to happen.
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!
cyberfret.com helped me out a lot when I was learning scales and chords and stuff, you should give that site a look too!
as a beginner to scales and shredding in general, i will recommend a few things to you:

1. Get a metronome - play everything to it at a slow enough speed where you can play every note perfectly and clearly without excess tension...this is extremely important, and it's this detail to correct practice that many amateurs ignore and in time will hinder their progression as a musician

2. Study theory - guitar seems to be the only instrument where you can head to a site like UG, look up some tabs and play your favorite song without any previous knowledge of music...that's great and all, but if you want to seriously take your playing to the next level, learn theory...learn the notes on the fretboard, how scales are formed, chord theory, harmony, counterpoint, intervals...way too many guitarists see scales as shapes when they should be looking at them as a classical musician would...notes and intervals
here's a great site for theory - http://www.online-guitar-lesson.com

3. www.guitarprinciples.com - i just can't stress the point of correct practice enough

4. Open up to new styles of music - this is not necessary, but chances are if you exclusively listen to Yngwie Malmsteen, you're playing style will probably reflect it...like the saying goes: "a good composer borrows, a great composer steals" (or something like that) broaden your musical horizon...listen to some classical, jazz fusion, blues, etc...this will help you be creative, and isn't that what every musician strives for?

5. Buy a book - without a teacher, you need some sort of fully reliable guidance, and to be frank, the internet is full of false information, so i would pick up an instructional booklet or dvd for the style you're most interested in...for shred, i would suggest the Troy Stetina series of Metal guitar books...for improvisation, Marty Friedman's "Melodic Control" or Joe Satriani's "Guitar Secrets"...for the practice techniques, John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline"...it all depends, it's pure preference

well, hopefully this is enough to get you started and enlighten you a bit, i've rambled much too long...good luck
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
^ Damn good advice right there my friend! That even helped me out a little
Quit guitar, take up bass! No, just messin'. Work on scales...buy a Tascam and slow down your favorite songs while playing along to them...then gradually speed 'em up! I'm a bassist in a mostly cover band...I've been playing for two years...and I can play the solo in Free Will by Rush at about 160 bpm by using the speed-up method. Keep on rockin'!

-Roy
Quote by CodySG
Rule #1 when playing guitar, don't do it for other people do it for yourself. If you are trying to learn guitar to impress people, you shouldn't be playing.

I play the guitar to compose and perform music that other people will enjoy.
So you get no joy out of playing? No feelings when you think of something cool sounding? I think you might have misunderstood my statement.
Quote by CodySG
So you get no joy out of playing? No feelings when you think of something cool sounding? I think you might have misunderstood my statement.

i dont get you, i get joy out of playing and i enjoy making songs up
music is expression, don't be like mainstream pop/punk bands who make songs and albums to make money and gain a fanbase...i think that defeats the whole purpose of music, don't you think? if you dedicate yourself to your instrument and your music, the passion will attract people in itself...the less you rely on people to decide how good your personal expression is, the better musician you're going to be because of it
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by andyscoot
i dont get you, i get joy out of playing and i enjoy making songs up

Wasn't saying that to you. It was for the post above that reply.
Quote by CodySG

Truer words have never been spoken.
Originally posted by bobjewell87:
what the hells an emo song?
There is alot of wisdom in this thread, so I'll just add a little to it.

1) Set realistic goals. If your a begginning player, don't expect to be able to shred as fast as Yngwie or somebody else in a few weeks without structured practice. I'd recommend you read some of Tom Hess's articles on how to practice correctly, as you do not seem familiar in this sort of thing.

2) Learn theory. Be more than a guitar player, be a musician! Scales are a must for guitar improvisation. If you are aiming for shredding, it might even be more benifitial to take the time to learn the modes instead of the minor pentatonics. Also learn chords and chord theory.

3) Listen to different genres of music. If you like punk (Sum 41), try listening to some neoclassical, classic rock/blues, metal, jazz, etc.

4) Have fun! Screw the people who say you suck. Practice, practice, practice, and one day they will look up to you :P
One thing that has kind of been said with the chord theory stuff, be good at both lead and rythme guitar, if you want to be lead that's great but be able to see the chord patterns and progressions.
Quote by CodySG
One thing that has kind of been said with the chord theory stuff, be good at both lead and rythme guitar, if you want to be lead that's great but be able to see the chord patterns and progressions.

Yep being able to play rythmn guitar can in fact improve your solo technique.
Just came across this thread, and wanted to say thanks for all of the good advice.

I've been a VERY casual guitar player for the better part of 25 years, and I'm probably not much better now than I was 15 years ago, due to never really taking lessons, playing for a while, then putting the guitar in the closet for a year (into other things), etc. I would love to be able to learn speed/shred for the sake of being able to play like that, not so much because I love that music. If you CAN play that, then really you have the physical ability to play just about anything on the guitar. It's more about technically mastering the guitar, and self-accomplishment to me.

Maybe I'm different than most but I've always focused on and enjoyed the rhythm guitar playing (the parts of the "song" you recognize), but was either intimidated by/sucked that I avoid solos/lead. The net result is I'm an average/intermediate rhythm player that can play 3/4 of a lot of songs, but that's it. I would REALLY like to learn lead, scales, theory, etc. I've bought books, and struggled with that (from an understanding standpoint, technique problems, and a self-discipline practice standpoint). I have John Petrucci's rock discipline DVD, but that was way over my head and much too advanced from a lead playing standpoint.

A couple of years ago, I took lessons from the aforementioned Tom Hess at his house for only a month or two (real life/work kept getting in the way, and he's now only teaching "serious" students, which I am not... lol). I may not care personally for the end result of a lot of his music, but he is a brilliant player and excellent teacher. Maybe I just didn't have the patience/discipline to get as much out of it as I should have.

I would really like to improve my overall playing and especially in the areas of lead/solo. I'm pretty much an absolute beginner/novice in that area. Does anyone have some recommendations on DVDs that I could get that would teach the correct technique, practice methods/routines, and scale/theory work? I'm lacking in technique from a picking standpoint (lack accuracy and "lightness"), as well as left-hand technique (I press strings WAY too hard and am a bit white-knuckled). From a lead standpoint, I'm a novice at best.

I know it takes a lot of practice and I'm willing to work on it at my pace, but I need something that isn't going to be playing "froggie went a courtin" beginner stuff, and not advanced shred... something in between

Thanks for the links, and the advice.

John
Last edited by jrowland96 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by Alec Freeman
There is alot of wisdom in this thread, so I'll just add a little to it.

1) Set realistic goals. If your a begginning player, don't expect to be able to shred as fast as Yngwie or somebody else in a few weeks without structured practice. I'd recommend you read some of Tom Hess's articles on how to practice correctly, as you do not seem familiar in this sort of thing.

2) Learn theory. Be more than a guitar player, be a musician! Scales are a must for guitar improvisation. If you are aiming for shredding, it might even be more benifitial to take the time to learn the modes instead of the minor pentatonics. Also learn chords and chord theory.

3) Listen to different genres of music. If you like punk (Sum 41), try listening to some neoclassical, classic rock/blues, metal, jazz, etc.

4) Have fun! Screw the people who say you suck. Practice, practice, practice, and one day they will look up to you :P

i gotta say all this is really good advice, i pushed myself because of #4, i had a friend who always told me i sucked, constantly, for like 3 years even though i knew i was way better than him i kept goin just cuz i wanted to hear him say it (a little bit o' pride mixed with wanting acknowledgement and acceptance from a friend, kinda lame i know but it worked) and finally when he told me one day "dude you're way better, i can admit it...." it was nice to hear but by that point i had already gotten over it and was lookin to be uber-shred-monster (which i am WELL on my way to) k.... that was useless ramble, but the fact is, now at my point in playing i know i'm pretty good, when i walk into guitar center and tear it up and draw a small crowd its nice y'know? and to get there i used all 4 of those points, i set realistic goals, listened to different genres of music, learned theory and told all the people to screw off when they gave me hell. and this is for a previous poster..... a slow heartfelt emotional solo is somewhat difficult, a fast shred piece of crap anyone can do, but a fast heartfelt solo improv'ed solo is probably the most difficult thing you'll ever have to do.
Mate, go and but a scale book theyre cheap and they have thousands. Heres a guide how to get started

Firstly learn your power chord and learn it all over the fret board become fluent and make sure u never **** them up

Then do the same with the main 7 chords.

learn some scales really well

improvise with the scales

if you can get to this stage having aced all of it, then next time you are on stage pick a fun simple song to play, that you can ace and youll find you get alot more attention and possitivr feedback. O yh and try and look confident, i remeber when i started, when i was with my mates i used to make them think i was good by being confident, but dont get cocky, otherwise thats about it, but just keep playing and enjoy it!!
Page 1 of 2