I was talking to a friend of mine who loves mesa boogie amps and i brought up marshal amps. he says that the distortion on marshals blow and that they were only good like in the 60's or something like that. ive never played on a marashal, so how are the distorion on them is it good or do they blow?
ya...my marshalls distortion isnt that good. but i got a MG 100dfx...most of u would say that sux.

i wish i could get more gain out of my amp
Im too full to swallow my pride!
the distortion could be a little more powerful, i have the same amp and it could use some help. its too vintage for my taste. i used a Boss DS1 with it today and it really made it sound better.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Well your friend, like all friends we hear about, is an ignorant asshat. they definately don't blow and your friend is a little elitist fanboy.

Sure some may say that Mesa's have better distortion, but that doesn't give your friend an excuse to be a dumbass.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
the MG's blow, i tried one and i mean the distortion isnt bad, but its not the best, and extremely overpriced. but then again, my marshall vs200 has awesome distortion and i love it
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
They're great amps if that Marshall rock sound if what you want.

However, Marshall have used their reputation to put in overpriced poor performing solid states (the MGs and AVTs) which have little in common with the real ones (only that shiny Marshall logo that drags in newbies to buying it)

Quick history of Marshall:

they started some time in the 60s, Jim Marshall started making copies of Fender Bassmans. The amps from the era are the JTMs and are referred to as "plexis" as the faceplate was made out of painted plexiglass. These are probably the most "legendary" Marshalls.
http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pics/ACDC4.jpg

In the 70s Marshall droped the plexiglass and started the JMP series, which was still basically the same in the regular 50W and 100W amps (the 1987 head and the 1959 head). In the middle of the 70s they introduced the master volume models (2203 and 2204) which allowed guitarist to overdrive preamp, yet keep the volume of the power amp low for preamp distortion.
http://www.kinkomusic.com/img/marshalljmp1959head.jpg

At the start of the 80s they dropped the old design and introduced the JCM800s, still keeping all the old designs (1987,1959,2203,2204) and also soon adding the dual channel amps that added in some diodes for some more clipping and an FX loop and reverb (the 2210 and 2205).
http://www.kinkomusic.com/img/marshalljcm800head.jpg

Most people basically like almost all the amps up to this point. However, be aware that these are LOUD amps that really shine in tone when you turn up the volume.

At the end of the 80s they dropped basically most of their lineup, keeping only slightly modified versions of the 2210 and 2205 and renamed them the JCM900s. They have a bit more gain than the JCM800s but some people don't like them.
Then some other stuff happened, they made some reissues of a couple of things and we have the JCM2000s that we have today.

The all tube Marshalls are great if you play rock in any form, punk or 80s metal.
Last edited by seljer at Jul 22, 2006,
very true, marshall started going downhill when they started making solid state amps, although some of their VS's werent that good either
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
^Why would you get an amp for its distortion is you HAD to use a distortion pedal to get your desired tone? If you want a British amp with lots of gain (and a better sound, IMO) get a Laney.

And for the record, the MG and AVT lines aren't Marshall.
It's like calling a Squier a Fender...technically speaking, it is, but not really.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by seljer

Quick history of Marshall:

they started some time in the 60s, Jim Marshall started making copies of Fender Bassmans. The amps from the era are the JTMs and are referred to as "plexis" as the faceplate was made out of painted plexiglass. These are probably the most "legendary" Marshalls.
http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pics/ACDC4.jpg

yay, i have a JTM 60, love it to death, and it's distortion is great, i dont know what your friends smokin
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i agree. my mg100's distortion is not great either. but that sure is hell not the reason i bought it. it has sick tone and sustain at high volume. the effects are soso. the reverb is not bad either. other than that its not much to talk about though. but marshall tubes are the stuff.and mesa boogies are really good. so i agree with that.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
hes prob talkin about the SS marshalls
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Marshalls are for beginners. They suck. Period.

I plugged my PRS Custom 24 (which I bought as my first guitar) into a JCM800 and all I got was feedback.

Ok here let me put a marshalls tone into focus.

Throw three hissing cats into a pillowcase. Slam that pillowcase into a wall. There we go.
Having two JCM900's (Both versions) and a Bluesbreaker in my household, lemme tell you, Marshall Amplification = tone.

No questions asked.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

I plugged my PRS Custom 24 (which I bought as my first guitar) into a JCM800 and all I got was feedback.

Throw three hissing cats into a pillowcase. Slam that pillowcase into a wall. There we go.

when did you put down your crack. feedback is a problem that isnt just with low end amps, you can always get feedback even from the highest end amps buddy.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I have a Marshall AVT20 and its distortion definitley doesnt blow, I finally spent the money and got me a nice tube pre amp, and i love it. It may be part solid state but its all i can afford and ive been playing for 3 years and have played on the JCM's and there is some difference from them mainly on the gain it can be heavier at times but thats about the only difference i can tell.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
If all you got was feedback out of a marshall stack and a prs 24 custom.
You dont deserve to have hearing your so musically retarded.
You just suck man, thats the problem.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by giorgio1210
when did you put down your crack. feedback is a problem that isnt just with low end amps, you can always get feedback even from the highest end amps buddy.

I would think it would have SOME clarity.
are marshal tube amp's distortion better than the solid states? which has a heavier distortion
Yea marshall tube amps have better distortion. Heavier is from the tubes. Add some active EMG's and u got a kick ass combo. Metallica tone if u want that tone, or Eric Clapton if u prefer that, dont use active for those cuz u want the broken up distortion.
My SoundClick

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
Quote by Ihearthetfield
I would think it would have SOME clarity.

well there must've been something wrong there, cause you'd think a PRS going to a JCM800 would sound great. maybe the tubes were old or some damage had been done to it.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Last edited by giorgio1210 at Jul 23, 2006,
the good ones are like all over a grand USD but you could prob get some deals on ebay.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
what are u looking for the all tube marshalls run over a grand but they have an avt series thats relitivley cheap and i have one and i really like it, i can get the metallica tone that i like.
My SoundClick

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
i have a marshall mg 50dfx and the distortion ok, could be better but could be a whole lot worse too. i usually play out of it clean
I have an MG100DFX and it gets me by. The distortion is nothing to brag about, but if you use a Compressor or Distortion pedal, you're set. The cleans that come out of it are really nice, and the distortion that it does dish out is perfect for anything from hard rock to blues.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
^ MG's suck. I bought my JCM900 combo for $625
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Ihearthetfield

Ever heard of a busted tube? If you go to a shop to try out an amp and all you get is feedback, that means that there's probably a busted tube. You clearly know nothing. STFU and GTFO.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by ssguitar
^ MG's suck. I bought my JCM900 combo for $625

does that include the cab? and i already haev a tube amp taht my friends dad made for me, it doesnt have that good of distortion so how could i increse that, i alread use a boss ds1 pedal, but i want more distortion out of it, which pedals would give me a heavier distortion?
well. current production marshalls aren't as good as the ones made in the 60's, 70's, or 80's. So your friend does have a point, but he said it in a wrong way.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"