Just saw "Robert Randolph and the Family Band" on Austin City Limits. They play rock to blues and gospel with a steel guitar as lead. Their rock sounds a lot like the Allman Bros. Anyone ever tried using the steel guitar for such stuff? It sounded amazing.
Steel guitar? Do you mean as in like a dobro, or a lap steel guitar? (Sorry I don't know much about this stuff)
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
I LOVE slide guitar, but steel guitar was never my thing. I use my grandpa's once in a blue moon, but sitting down playing slide is boring for me.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Yes the country style lap guitar. This guy was tearing it up. When I first heard it I thought I had caught the Allmans on tv. He was using some overdrive. He also had some old guys jamming with him that were cranking the blues on these things. Just search the name, and check out "Good Times"
Oh yeah steel guitar is pretty cool. I'm not sure, but I think I remember watching this one guy playing lap steel to hendrix's "Voodoo Child"
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
My step father gave me one he had as a teenager. I was thinking of display only, but this guy has shown me light. Got to give it a try. Would be a good stunt on a gig.
Quote by S0ulja23
Oh yeah steel guitar is pretty cool. I'm not sure, but I think I remember watching this one guy playing lap steel to hendrix's "Voodoo Child"

Robert Randolph, probably. He does a lotta Hendirx. Steel guitars arn't normally used for rock, but boring hick music. That horrid DVD Heart of Gold is an example of steel guitar in boring hick music. Nontheless the steel guitar has been used to produce some great music. My favourite song featuring a steel guitar is a cover of "Who Do You Love?" by a band called Juicy Lucy. You probably won't be able to get that song, because it's so obscure, but it is great.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Ha...what an interesting coincidence. I saw Robert Randolph live last night with the Black Crowes and Drive By Truckers and he totally blew the other two bands out of the water. After the show they were selling recordings (presumably of the main attraction, the Crowes) but I'd much rather have gotten the Randolph set, filled with everything with Jimi Hendrix to Michael Jackson. Robert Randolph and his band are simply amazing, I can't wait for them to actually do a solo tour so I can see a full set.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Other than that, they do no harm. Unless you play a seriously crappy game, you know, like Glover. He was a ****ing glove. Seriously.
The Stones use a lot of Steel guitar, I like how they use it to throw that particular sound in there.

I don't own one, but in my monthly visit to SamAsh I'll usually wander off into the acoustic guitar room and sit down with a steel guitar and see what I can make of it. It's a very cool instrument.