hey guys, i have been playing guitar for around a year.I have really caught on fast. I do no take lessons but have been recieving help from my uncle who is in a band. I'm good at switching most of the pretty basic chords fast, I can do lots of scales quickly bottom to top, etc. , so if I were to be taking lessons from an instructor, what types of things would he be trying to teach me right now in your opinion. I just want to make sure im on the right track. Thank you in advance.
work on technique a bit maybe?
with pinking or fingerpicking
or maybe get into some improvisational stuff and learn what scales go over what chord progressions and work on phrasing etc..
Well, here's a list but maybe you can already do all of this.

1. Theory - how to tell what key a song is in, chord structure, etc.
2. Get better at scales - Can you do scales in thirds, arpegios???
3. Power chords - have you learned them yet?
4. Bar Chords - have you learned them?
5. Minor/major 7th Chords
6. Sustained chords
7. 6th Chords
8. Playing leads when someone else is playing rhythm for you
Quote by bandgeek10
Well, here's a list but maybe you can already do all of this.

1. Theory - how to tell what key a song is in, chord structure, etc.
2. Get better at scales - Can you do scales in thirds, arpegios???
3. Power chords - have you learned them yet?
4. Bar Chords - have you learned them?
5. Minor/major 7th Chords
6. Sustained chords
7. 6th Chords
8. Playing leads when someone else is playing rhythm for you

there are so many typos in this

like jlj said, many teachers don't go into detail on how to practice, only what to practice...i say you should learn the techniques that relate to the style of music you want to play
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I'd go for the improv thing, I incorporate theory lessons into improv as its the best time to learn the application of scales etc. so tae a scale and learn to play it along with a backing track to create melodies. Harmony is another big one!
get yourself a metronome( if you dont already have one) to practise your scales to...

possibly learn to read notation, if you want that is, its not really essential

also look up on the theory behind scales...not just what notes to play in the scale, but when to use the scale, and put it into context, try downloading some backing tracks or some thing and practise improvising over them practising your different scales.

and dont forget to learn a few songs along the way