Page 1 of 2
So we all know the saying.. "So and so was SOOOOO much better in their early days.."

or "Their new album isn't as good as their old ones!"

Is it just the curse of punk bands to get progressively worse? Why is that?

What are some bands that have stayed constantly good or got better throughout their careers?

I'd say that bands get progressively worse because they all seem to lose their rawness. As a band progresses, they feel the need to become more tight and become more fluid. They feel that everything needs to flow smoothly and it does. Unfortunately, the rawness is what usually makes them so good.

At the moment, I can't think of any bands that stayed as good from first album to last. I'll think of some, though.

Actually.. subhumans only got better as time passed.
i think for a lot of bands, it's just that production is a little bit better and so it just sounds less raw, and they just progress as musicians
AFI got better, but only because they decided not to be a punk band anymore.
Quote by victimized124
i think for a lot of bands, it's just that production is a little bit better and so it just sounds less raw, and they just progress as musicians

I compleatly agree with that... as you mature as a musician naturally your sound will become more refined... more precise... its just natural and expected
I WANT TO BE THE MINORITY!
Quote by sargasm
AFI got better, but only because they decided not to be a punk band anymore.

lol nice
I sort of wondered the same thing before. The comment about better production makes sense, and of course, over time, the musicians in a band will improve and possibly want to create more difficult music. I think that a lot of music fans - and I would probably fall into this- get disinterested in bands when they change their music. Obviously, it's the artist's choice to change their style, and I hate when people say that the bands "betrayed" their fans. You can't force yourself to like something new a band is doing if you really don't like it, and I think that's why bands lose a lot of their fanbase. Whether or not a group's newer stuff is better or worse is in the eye of the beholder, and if the album's sound is siginificantly different, then a lot of people will say that it's not as good.
I know a lot of people don't like Social Distortion, but I think their new CDs are just as good as their old.
Less Than Jake will never sell out. You can count on that.
Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
I masturbate while my parents are home anyway. Sometimes I invite everyone in the living room for a "family meeting", then spontaneusly whip it out and start beating it. I love family meetings.
It's not really about selling out. Some bands can never sell out but still get worse with age.
I agree with TheAdict

and where are ya located in Ohio?
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
the lawrence arms, the bouncing souls, the vandals, dropkick murphys, millencolin..
Quote by planetary ruins
Resistant culture started in 86 and only have gotten better.

Oh **** do I agree.

But do you like the whole Native American theme theyve been doing?
Quote by waterproofpie
I can't wait until Nemo posts in here.
Will surely be a good post a brewin'

Were waiting Nemo... Haha, I really can't wait.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Oh **** do I agree.

But do you like the whole Native American theme theyve been doing?

Well its no theme.Some of them are indians.And their chants are catchy and great and their one of the only bands ever in punk to sing about the problems of indians and their culture.And they stay some of the most talented and creative people.Never get old.
its a global massacre
The way I see it: All things change over time, and this goes for music too. It's completely normal for a band's sound to change over time, and this can be attributed to many different factors, some of which have already been mentioned.

The trick is to bring the fans with along as the band evolves and that can be tricky. If a band releases alot of similar material they run the risk of boring their fans (although the Ramones fared quite well in that way ). If a band releases something too different too soon they risk losing fans. Look at Black Flag, they started out as a hardcore punk band, and then ole Hank came along and they grew their hair out and started playing avant jazz metal, which of course alienated a whole bunch of the more fickle "fans."

I guess in conclusion, bands change over time and if they don't transition smoothly they may loose some of what made them great in the first place.
The problem seems to be that a certain band decided to play a certain genre in the first place.
If you find yourself restricted by a certain genre's boundries you can only re-invent (the wheel) it so many times.
(That's why there hasn't been a lot of GREAT ska bands in the last decade)

As for punk bands that kept it fresh, and maintained throughout the years?
I can't think of any... save The Minute Men.
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by planetary ruins
Well its no theme.Some of them are indians.And their chants are catchy and great and their one of the only bands ever in punk to sing about the problems of indians and their culture.And they stay some of the most talented and creative people.Never get old.

Well yeah I think thats awesome, but honestly the chants got really annoying.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Well yeah I think thats awesome, but honestly the chants got really annoying.

well if you listen to all their songs and records they chant in about 4 songs out of about 50 sooo.Even if someone hated the chanting im sure they could sit through it for one of the only bands playing true crust now.
its a global massacre
Operation Ivy, Zounds and The Sex Pistols.

IMO The World/Inferno Friendship Society and Subhumans have only improved as time's gone by.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
This might be a little off-topic, but since you mentioned Subhumans... what would be the best CD to get by them?
^ They're all really good IMO but I guess I'd recommend 29-29 Split Vision, EP-LP or Worlds Apart. If you just randomly pick one you'll probably be satisfied anyway though.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Probably gets worse because they're expected to make another album.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by CowsWithGuns
^ They're all really good IMO but I guess I'd recommend 29-29 Split Vision, EP-LP or Worlds Apart. If you just randomly pick one you'll probably be satisfied anyway though.

All right, thanks.
Agnostic Front made their best album 18 years into their career, but their last one wasn't great, and it certainly wasn't punk. In my opinion D.R.I. never put out a bad record. Oi Polloi have changed their sound, and put some of their best stuff out recently.
Quote by RockThe40oz
You're an idiot. None of them started out good to begin with.

Oh come on, those are the ill pop-punk bands! Actually, now that I think about it, pop-punk bands tend to have longevity. The Ramones had at least a few good songs on all their records, although I can't say they got better. The Descendents have consistently put out awesome stuff (including ALL). It took the Bouncing Souls 14 years to make their best album, and their new stuff is consistently good. The Soviettes have released 3 albums, and each one is equally good.
Quote by hardrock1315
Agnostic Front made their best album 18 years into their career, but their last one wasn't great, and it certainly wasn't punk. In my opinion D.R.I. never put out a bad record. Oi Polloi have changed their sound, and put some of their best stuff out recently.

Oh come on, those are the ill pop-punk bands! Actually, now that I think about it, pop-punk bands tend to have longevity. The Ramones had at least a few good songs on all their records, although I can't say they got better. The Descendents have consistently put out awesome stuff (including ALL). It took the Bouncing Souls 14 years to make their best album, and their new stuff is consistently good. The Soviettes have released 3 albums, and each one is equally good.

Which do you think is their best album? I really liked How I Spent My Summer Vacation. The only other album of theirs I heard is Anchors Aweigh, which I thought was pretty good but not as good as Summer Vacation. I'd like to get their new one eventually.
Quote by jesusgonewrong
Probably gets worse because they're expected to make another album.

exactly

But there are still some bands who are an exception like the previously mentioned Lawerence Arms abd Bouncing Souls and some in cases those bands are the best bands but that's not always the case like i dont really like some of the new AFI stuff but they'll always be one of my favorite bands.

i dunno
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
The Soviettes have stayed consistent. Jawbraker was about the same despite tweaks in their sound. I personally think Black Flag only did 2 bad albums out of the 11 they did (Family Man and Loose Nut). I must admit AFI have gotten pretty awesome. Well, moreso is what I should say.
Wasn't Family Man an instrumental CD?

Edit: Nevermind, just looked it up. One side was spoken word and the other was instrumental.
Then there's bands like Agent Orange, who've only released three albums over 25 years and yet only tease us with updated versions and new songs, but no albums. Makes me mad.
Leftover Crack
Propagandhi
Morning Glory
Bad Religion

to name a few, of course others may disagree with me, but this is my opinion
Quote by pinheadslts75
...tease us with updated versions...

You mean they FINALLY changed their guitar tone?
Finally?!

Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by TheAdict310
Which do you think is their best album? I really liked How I Spent My Summer Vacation. The only other album of theirs I heard is Anchors Aweigh, which I thought was pretty good but not as good as Summer Vacation. I'd like to get their new one eventually.

Yeah, I meant How I Spent My Summer Vacation. They're all good, though.
Quote by hardrock1315
Yeah, I meant How I Spent My Summer Vacation. They're all good, though.

Do you know how their new one is? I've seen it in stores a few times and thought about buying it.
Anchors Aweigh is pure ****.

I used to love the Bouncing Souls, but damn! That was the worst piece of garbage I've ever seen since Discharge started doing hairmetal.
Quote by TheAdict310
Do you know how their new one is? I've seen it in stores a few times and thought about buying it.

The new one is definitely good, a couple songs on it are really good.
Page 1 of 2