hey i've been playing for some 2-3 years and i recently asked my teacher to start teaching me theory. he first told me that he would teach me theory, then apply it to the guitar. He said i should try to memorize the notes on the fretboard.

obviously this will not be easy/fun, and obviously everyone has their own way of doing it, but i was wondering how some of you guys did it...

fret by fret? string by string? in note order?

give me some tips!!
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I memorized the notes on the inlays first. Then began to identify the notes on the frets without inlays.

Also remember that E-F and B-C are only a half step apart.
Try drawing a full fret board on a regular piece of printing paper and label each note on there (be sure to include the strings to). While you label each note, color each note with the color that the note reminds you of (use colored pens.. not fat markers).

For instance, an A reminds me of red.. dunno why but it does.. and C reminds me of yellow. So I would write each A natural in red and each C natural in yellow. You probably don't need to write any sharp/flat note in any color because you have all of the natural notes already colored.. so it will be very easy to find the sharps/flats by then.

This will let you familiarize with the fretboard pretty fast because your used to the colors you chose for each note.

Note: If your saying to yourself "I don't understand because I don't think of colors" then think of a different way.. this is just the way I did it. Also, if you have trouble finding out what notes to label or where they go in the first place... then just look up a model of a fretboard on the internet as a guide.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Jul 22, 2006,
lol thanx i'll give those a try
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I don't think these methods of "memorizing where every note is well" really helps that much. If you can't find the notes on the fly, it doesn't help.

Buy that one blue book on reading notes, do it.
Buy this book and practice reading the notes. Not just in the position with the fifth fret, but read the simple melodies EVERYWHERE on the neck. Do it in every octave you can. Eventually you will be able to sightread well.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Nothing really helped me except closing my eyes, picking a random note on the fretboard, opening my eyes and seeing which fret I was on and saying the note outloud. It takes practice but it helps if you want to be able to know the notes by heart, without even thinking.
If it's like the bass, just remember which order the notes are, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and if you know which ones don't have a sharp then it's easy. If you follow me =/
i need to get a teacher, my mindless fret moneky one wont teach me theory, just says "have a go at that and see if you can do it *hands evh's eruption*". (i know some can play it)
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
The best way I would think to do it is to learn songs and play them on only one or two strings.

Also, for a couple weeks, dont' even use the low E string (I'm assuming you know all those notes). Just play small chords on the higher strings.
another good way is to start learning major scales/pentatonics and memorize them and the notes, and then youll learn the fretboard and also some scales which will be valuble later in theory
Quote by seek_&_destroy
hey i've been playing for some 2-3 years and i recently asked my teacher to start teaching me theory. he first told me that he would teach me theory, then apply it to the guitar. He said i should try to memorize the notes on the fretboard.

Fire your "teacher" and find a new one. He should have pursued theory a long time ago. Memorizing a fretboard is a waste of time. If your worthless teacher had introduced you to theory in the beginning, you would know the fretboard now.
B_A
memorise the diatonic notes (no sharps/flats) on one string - start on thick E string as this is most important to find scales/barre chords etc (and one youve learned 6 youve learned string 1 also). Memorise by say-and playing the note. then go onto musictheory.net and do the fretboard trainer.

After that memorise all notes on one at a time (eg fret 1-F,Bb,Eb,Gb,C,F-this time include all notes Dont worry about the enharmonic names too much (eg A#/Bb) you will get used to this through time.

In addition to this write out a fretboard diagram and keep it beside your bed or your tv (somewhere you will constantly see it).
Quote by seek_&_destroy

obviously this will not be easy/fun, and obviously everyone has their own way of doing it, but i was wondering how some of you guys did it...

fret by fret? string by string? in note order?

give me some tips!!

I did it by learning abcdefg all over first, by drawing fretboard diagrams on paper.
Doing like 2 a day for about a week.
Then i started doing every single note on the fretboard, like 1 a day for a week.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

i learned in octaves...EADGBE octaves all around the board,it's easy to remember it that way since thats the firs order you probably memorized on guitar
A good thing is to study whats called the CAGED system. Do a search and learn about it or ask your teacher about it.
there's this game called fretboard warrior and the notes pop up on the fretboard, along with the tone of the note. the aim is to get as many correct within a timeframe. i'm not sure of where i got it from but you could try googling 'Fretboard Warrior'.
Quote by been_awhile
Fire your "teacher" and find a new one. He should have pursued theory a long time ago. Memorizing a fretboard is a waste of time. If your worthless teacher had introduced you to theory in the beginning, you would know the fretboard now.

i will agree with this one, theory should come right at the start.

another thing you can do is draw the notes on small little pieces of paper and lightly tape it between ur frets. so if ur the kind of guy who looks while he plays... ull see the note that ur playing... it will just kinda get into ur head after a while.
Last edited by I__guitarist__I at Sep 8, 2006,