I was messin with my practice amp and i cranked the distortion up till right before the feedback rings. And if i like make a harmonic inbetween frets it will make a high pitched squeal. Also i grabed ahold of the high e at the 12th fret inbetwen my fingers and picked it and it made a wah type sound. So did alot of other string/fret combos. what exactly are these things?
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
A pinch harmonic is where, either fully fretting or not fretting at all, you play a harmonic by gently touching the edge of your thumb to the string with your plectrum's hand as you pluck a note. Hold your plectrum so that only the edge stick out. That'll make it easier. That's all there is to it. There are no tricks, and no real easy ways. Just practice hard and constantly, and you'll get it. It's really hard when you first start. What your doing is pinching the string at the harmonic points and lifting it up. I don't know what it is, but I don't believe it has a name. Good onya', though.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
It's hard to do. Artificial or pinch harmonics are done by oh so slightly touching the string right after you pluck it.

What I do it put the tib of my thumb so it's paralell to the point of the pick and I pick the note. My thumb automatically touches the string making a pinch harmonic.
^ Its hard to do? You must really REALLY suck. Anyone who says Ibanez guitars suck who find pinch harmonics hard, should be instantly banned

RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
^ Its hard to do? You must really REALLY suck.

You can't tell me that it wasn't hard for you when you first started. It's not hard for me at all now, but it took me a while to nail them every time when I began.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by Ihearthetfield
It's hard to do. Artificial or pinch harmonics are done by oh so slightly touching the string right after you pluck it.

What I do it put the tib of my thumb so it's paralell to the point of the pick and I pick the note. My thumb automatically touches the string making a pinch harmonic.

I am so compelled to sig you... again!
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ I edited my post, im only saying that about him because hes a forum troll. He goes around putting down any guitars except for Jacksons..
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I agree pinch harmonics are a bitch to first hit but after the first time you nail one it's pretty easy.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
I can do harmonics and havent gotten into pinch ones i was just wondering what the hell i was doing. But thanks for your input
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
ive been playing 7 months and i can hit them every time, if thats any encouragement
wont be long until u get em
Funny you do them but cant do them...... this thread....seriously....is pointless....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.