I'll make this as quick and simple as I can.

Basically, i have a crapload of music that I've been recording for the past year and a half, but no one to record any vocals over any of it.

I've tried the Musicians Ads - numerous times. Many flakes who contact me but end up just wanting to be my "e-friend" and have no intention about recording music. One guy's actually recorded vocals over a song, but he wasn't interested in doing any more. I've tried at least a dozen UG vocalists, and all of 'em flaked out.

I'd record the vocals myself, but I can't sing at all (I've spent hours and hours and hours trying to record decent vocals - usually to no avail).

So, do I have any other options other than just quitting and giving up? I'm not interested in recording solely instrumental music, and I'd like to compile 12 to 14 or so of my songs into an album. These songs are musically completed or soon to be completed, but they have verses and choruses just begging for vocals...

Suggestions?
Try looking for singers in more professional enviorments, such as venues that have lots of jazz
bands and such. Even look into your local theater scene.
what kind of music are we talking about, i could give some vocals a shot if you don't mind throwing me a sample or two and some lyrics... don't know if ill be able to find the time or be what you're looking for, but i could try. this is probably the exact kind of thing you're complaining about/trying to avoid, but let me know.
you could try learning to sing yourself, if it's metal you could pull it off j/k i'm a headbanger too!
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
you could try learning to sing yourself, if it's metal you could pull it off j/k i'm a headbanger too!
Nah, I've tried metal and that's where my lack of talent shines through the most.

Are there any services where I could just pay someone to record vocals over a song, in the same manner as you might pay someone to babysit your kids or do your gardening?
Last edited by yawn at Jul 23, 2006,
You were born in 1989, so you are probably still in high school. Does your school have a chorus? Try joining the chorus, find singers that you think would fit your music well, and either
a.) befriend them and get them to do it for free, or
b.) pay them.

And while you're in chorus, you just might get good enough to sing some songs on your own.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^ if he was born in '89 that would probably make him a senior. not exactly time to join the chorus. but i would definatly see if anyone in the chorus would sing for you. i know a few kids in my graduating class sang in chorus and rock bands. then theres always the drama kids who sing in the musical. drama kids can be pretty damn strange tho, or at least the ones i know.

or you could do a half sing half talk thing like they have in some cake songs (going the distance) and in the song pepper by butthole surfers. might not be great on all the songs, but it would probably work for at least one or two. and that would be a way to finish a song this summer by yourself.
Quote by jof1029
drama kids can be pretty damn strange tho, or at least the ones i know.
Yeah, they kind of scare me

Quote by jof1029
or you could do a half sing half talk thing like they have in some cake songs (going the distance) and in the song pepper by butthole surfers. might not be great on all the songs, but it would probably work for at least one or two. and that would be a way to finish a song this summer by yourself.
Yeah, thus far, I've talk-sung on several songs, and it sounds passable. Unfortunately, I have several other songs where that talk-singing just won't work at all. Those are the ones I'm stuck on.
^ Don't those things sound kind of comical/whacky? If so, they probably wouldn't fit the majority of my songs...

Besides, I really do want the lyrics to go into the songs.
Quote by yawn
^ Don't those things sound kind of comical/whacky? If so, they probably wouldn't fit the majority of my songs...

Besides, I really do want the lyrics to go into the songs.
They sound weird. They definately don't sound like a normal singer, but you can kind of hear the words and you get the vocal melody.
You could try uploading your music onto...on of them music pages (I forget what they're called haha).. you never know, someone here may want to have a shot at it. If you put your music up people will get a feel for what music it is (obviously) and so forth.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
^ Eh, that's pretty much what I've been doing for the past 1 1/2 years.

I'm guessing most people here just aren't interested in recording vocals on music that they have nothing to do with and weren't even a part of in the creative process.
Quote by jof1029
^ if he was born in '89 that would probably make him a senior. not exactly time to join the chorus.

I understand your point, but I joined in my senior year and had no problems. They will almost definitely want you if you are able to read music and have previous experience playing an instrument.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Are you sure you can't sing? Maybe you just haven't found your voice. I am a stocky guy with a deep voice. You'd think I'd be good at singing deep vocals or lower stuff. but no, I sing in a style more like Elliott Smith or Tim Kasher. I sing a little high pitched rather than low-pitched. So just experiment with singing a few different songs that you know very well.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Quote by honkey
Are you sure you can't sing? Maybe you just haven't found your voice. I am a stocky guy with a deep voice. You'd think I'd be good at singing deep vocals or lower stuff. but no, I sing in a style more like Elliott Smith or Tim Kasher. I sing a little high pitched rather than low-pitched. So just experiment with singing a few different songs that you know very well.
Oh believe me - I've tried every style/pitch I could think of. There just ain't any for me.