Does anyone have any idea what kind of setup Neil used to get his unique soloing tone, like the one he used on "Southern Man"? I've never heard anyone else play with a tone remotely near that, and I was wondering how he got it.

I've tried looking up the gear he used for it, but eventually everything just looks the same and nowhere I've read is specific about it. Anyone know?
Small amp big sound philosophy. He used a Gretsch Country Gentleman 6120 into some kind of fender amp (Often the 3x10 Bandmaster) I think there is some sort of volume pedal in there, possibly an Edwards. If this setup looks familiar to anyone, its the same as Pete Townshends for Whos Next and Quadrophenia. Joe Walsh gave it to him in order to emulate the sound of Neil Young.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Neil has an old Fender Deluxe he claims is like no other fender deluxe. Perhaps he used that? Used it for a many jam seesion with Crazy Horse.
Its how you look and how you feel
He has a modded Fender 5e3.
(I've built myself a 5e3, gets perfect tone.)
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by ZoSoII_13
Small amp big sound philosophy. He used a Gretsch Country Gentleman 6120 into some kind of fender amp (Often the 3x10 Bandmaster) I think there is some sort of volume pedal in there, possibly an Edwards. If this setup looks familiar to anyone, its the same as Pete Townshends for Whos Next and Quadrophenia. Joe Walsh gave it to him in order to emulate the sound of Neil Young.

I Thought Neil Young used a Les Paul. I coud be wrong but all the pics I've seen of him he's playing a Les Paul
He does. He plays pretty much everything. For recording though, It's mostly semi hollows and hollow bodies
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by rock_and_blues
I Thought Neil Young used a Les Paul. I coud be wrong but all the pics I've seen of him he's playing a Les Paul

His main electric is "Old Black," a Les Paul with a Bigsby and modded pickups.

Speeking of tone, hasanyone else seen that new guitar magazine called Guitar Edge? The one I got, which was the first showed how to mimic Stevie's tone from "Cold Shot." I thought that was pretty sweet, because Guitar one, Guitar World and Guitar Player don't do that. Anyone know if a new one's out yet and if it also shows how to get cool tones?
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Wow, same as Townshend used for Quadrophenia? I've been dabbling in The Who for the past few months, own and loved Tommy but haven't gotten to Quadrophenia yet, I'll definitely check it out now. Thanks for the info, maybe once I get some more cash I can shell out for it, hopefully it'l be worth it.
he used either a les paul with a p90 in the bridge or a gretsch white falcon.he uses some kind of fender tweed amp.
Quote by wilty00
Twist and Shout makes me violent.
Quote by icatchdinosaurs
he used either a les paul with a p90 in the bridge or a gretsch white falcon.he uses some kind of fender tweed amp.

Not sure what it is exactley, but it ain't a P-90.

They said what it is on the ****ty Heart of Gold DVD. (It was the best thing on that DVD)
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
most of the signature tone from old black cames from the combining 2 factors

1. it was always out of tune
2. he never changed the strings

it sounds stupid but i no these facts and i no they work i play on a les paul myself
Quote by ufossuck
Not sure what it is exactley, but it ain't a P-90.

They said what it is on the ****ty Heart of Gold DVD. (It was the best thing on that DVD)

i love neil young...but i agree heart of gold was awfull...the highlight was when the guy talked about the guitars for 30 seconds.
Quote by wilty00
Twist and Shout makes me violent.
i have no idea... i love neil young's acoustic work he's probably one of my favorite people to hear with an acoustic but man... i hate his soloing technique it's so choppy and just... i dono it just doesn't sound that great to me.
Quote by AdayTripper
I don't want to ****ing be known as the guy who **** himself while his whole family came over. It just happened.

Quote by SonOfOsiris
how far would you go with a boy/girl to be able to say to someone "Im am not a virgin!"

????
i love neil young...but i agree heart of gold was awfull...the highlight was when the guy talked about the guitars for 30 seconds.

I liked Heart of Gold
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.