Plain and simple i just need a couple of guitarists who, predominantly, economy pick over plainly alternate pick. thanx
I heard that Marty Friedman doesn't alternate pick a lot because it tends to make your playing sound the same.
Economy picking is cool and I do it every now and again, but I find alternate picking a much easier technique. That's just me though, all depends on who you are I guess.
Isn't economy picking like the same as alternate picking although you do sweeps and change the pattern sometimes so that you end the last note of a patern in an easier way to go to the next pattern?

Honestly... the way I economy pick, I almost make alternate picking a part of economy picking... Its just I don't always alternate pick.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

economy picking is simply picking down when going to a higher pitch string. its good cos it goes in the direction of your picking.

somehow i feel more comfortable with economy picking ever since i started, and felt wierd when using strict alternate picking.
Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
Economy Picking is jsut basically a mixture of picking techniques like alternate and sweep picking.
I use economy picking all the time. It just seems more logical take the shortest path possible to the next string.
strict alternate is just too much of a hassle with licks with constant string skipping so i tend to naturally sweep while switching anyway...but there are times when strict alternate is best however
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
wow, 7 posts and 6 of which explained or questioned alternate picking :P lol alright anyone else besides Marty Friedman?
also, im interested in Malmsteen's picking style. Anyone know if its strict alt picking or economy picking?
^most likely strict alternate
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.