Ok, so my friend(a piano player) and I are going to work on some songwriting and attempt to form a two-man band...as of yet, we have not found a drummer...
The style of music we're going for is a kinda alternative jazz/rock thing, ala the Strokes/Coldplay/Keane, that sort of thing....(I don't know if jazz/rock was the best way to describe that, but it was all I could come up with...)
The thing is, I'm not quite sure how to keep a steady rhythm going without sacrificing musicality...I'd like to make it so that the rhythm/lead parts can be traded off btw the guitar and piano and get a nice synergy going...at the same time, I don't want to completely ignore the need for a steady beat...

Any thoughts from people who have experience with composition for guitar and piano would be awesome...hope I've provided enough info...

Just a disclaimer: I really don't know if I'm making a big deal out of nothing, so please don't call me an idiot or anything...

Cheers...
i dont have personal experience with that, but if the pianist is decent he should be able to play with both hands well. in which case he should be able to play a bassline with a steady rhythm with his left hand while doing lead and rhythm switching with his right hand. i saw this great jazz/fusion trio that had the keyboard player doing that. he would keep the bassline with his left hand while improvising a solo at times, and he sounded great. the band was completed by a guitarist and drummer. sounds kinda like what you would have going if you found a drummer.

if you want to look them up, the guitarist for the band was cyrus pace and i think the band was the cyrus pace trio. the keyboard player was his brother, dont remember his name tho. might be a good thing to check out, tho im not sure its exactly what you are looking for.
Sounds like this could be a great band if you put some time in to it. I have been playing professionally in a 5-piece jazz combo for years, so hopefully I can help you with some arranging for piano and guitar.

My main advice is not to fight with your piano player when comping for the vocalist, whoever that may be. At some point you will both be playing rhythm and not lead. This is the crucial part where your musicianship will truly be tested. A good way to avoid this is to have a set order that the song will go in, and who will be playing what where. As much fun as it is to just wing it, it takes real work. Try to settle riffs that both players can learn so that you can be interchangeable, as you said. Try treating the piano as another guitar, since it can play chords and leads. Try arpeggios. Try everything. Only you guys know what works for you, and that will determine your style.
well, I AM the vocalist, so that kinda makes things easy...
Yeah, treating the piano as another guitar is an excellent suggestion...hadn't thought of that before...I think both he and I will have to control ourselves when it comes to "winging it..." In most of the songs I write on my own, I love to go off and solo on a whim, so I'll have to dial it back a bit...
Great advice, really appreciate it