Just octaves of E, D, C, B

What minor pentatonic could I play over those 4 that would go with it? As far as I know, it would be either B or D minor pent? Any help?
you need to know what the original chords are, not the octaves, or conversely if you play an F# octave somewhere, then the key is likely to be in G, and you would play E minor pentatonic. From octaves though you cant tell what key it is generally
The chords go from Am, C, Em, G in beginning, to A5, C5, E5, G5 and then octaves on E major. Any help?
Last edited by The way to hate at Jul 23, 2006,
why were you playing octaves of "E, D, C, B"? wouldnt you normally just go A, C, E, G?
Quote by The way to hate
The chords go from Am, C, Em, G in beginning, to A5, C5, E5, G5 and then octaves. Any help?
What you just typed is A Aeolian. The other progression could be A Aeolian (sort of), but would be better as E Aeolian.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What you just typed is A Aeolian. The other progression could be A Aeolian (sort of), but would be better as E Aeolian.

Alright, thanks for the help.
if your playing octaves over E major, than that would normally be your key, and if its in E, then the minor pentatonic would be C#
Quote by Barnabas
if your playing octaves over E major, than that would normally be your key, and if its in E, then the minor pentatonic would be C#
We are in E minor.
Quote by Barnabas
why were you playing octaves of "E, D, C, B"? wouldnt you normally just go A, C, E, G?

Different part of the song. The part I'm in is in E major and I was wondering what scales would go best with it.
Quote by The way to hate
Different part of the song. The part I'm in is in E major and I was wondering what scales would go best with it.
Well if you want to think of it as E major, you can. It isn't the obvious thing to do, but you could use E Phrygian Dominant (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7, E F G# A B C D).
Technically I'm just playing octaves on the E major scale.. but I'm descending.. does that matter?

Actually, what I was playing made no sense anyway, sorry for the trouble guys.

It starts with Am, C, Em, G and then goes into some powerchords and minor variations of the same notes. It's a heavy song but it slows down at a point and I am trying to play something simple but nice sounding. I was originally playing a A# major scale, but that wouldn't make sense (I think.. i'm still a novice at theory). So if the chords are Am, C, Em, G... what would a good major scale be to play over those?
Last edited by The way to hate at Jul 23, 2006,
Quote by The way to hate
Technically I'm just playing octaves on the E major scale.. but I'm descending.. does that matter?
It doesn't matter if you're descending, but you are not playing E major, at least not obvious E major. E major doesn't contain C. Have you meant to type C# all this time?

I might not be able to respond until morning.

Goodnight UG, perhaps.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It doesn't matter if you're descending, but you are not playing E major, at least not obvious E major. E major doesn't contain C. Have you meant to type C# all this time?

I might not be able to respond until morning.

Goodnight UG, perhaps.

No, I was just mistaken as I posted just as you did. My fault.
Quote by The way to hate
what would a good major scale be to play over those?
C major or A minor (same notes) will be good over the full chords.

Now I'm out 'til morning!

Read this...it will help.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jul 23, 2006,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
C major or A minor (same notes) will be good over the full chords.

Now I'm out 'til morning!

Thanks.