Page 1 of 3
alrighty...so i'm in the process of modding my squier affinity strat...it was originally black and such...now, i just finished spraying one of the colors...it's a dark orange...it's offical name is chevrolet orange...what i'm trying to figure out now, is what kinda design i should do on it...in black. any suggestions?

i'll be posting pics of my progress as soon as i can get my hands on my dad's camera

pics before i sanded and painted:

and...which do you prefer? regular, or fake black binding?

^^^regular

^^^ fake binding?

input on anything?

-NG
Quote by Zeppelin08
Yea I feel the same way too, I try to be good because I burn very easly so I wouldn't last long in Hell, unless they have sunblock there.

Quote by excalibur672
You're more desprate than a man paying for a hooker on credit.
I prefere the fake black binding, it works well with the pickguard. Can't wait to see some pics of your project!
Good luck,
sanity
Black binding looks pretty, and i reckon you should put it on the headstock too.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
^^^ yeah, that's what i was thinking
Quote by Zeppelin08
Yea I feel the same way too, I try to be good because I burn very easly so I wouldn't last long in Hell, unless they have sunblock there.

Quote by excalibur672
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
i say no binding...but if you decide to, do it on the headstock too
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
well...a bit of an update: today i started spraying the fake binding on the headstock, and started taping off the body...hopefully, i'll be able to post some pics up tomorrow night...i've been really busy with moving and had to postpone this project a bit...but now i can continue...yay!
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
Quote by tongue untied
finally- another chick who mods guitars, props to you

def fake binding, and paint the head stock oragne as well, it will look better

yeah, i'm doing the fake binding...and i already have painted the headstock orange as well.

question: for fake binding the body, should i only do a small strip on the side, or the entire perimeter of the body?
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
Small strip. I suggest covering up most of the body leaving a centimeter or so off the edge of the body. Then on the side mask off the same amount.

The Chevy orange is kickass. From the same Engine Enamel series from DupliColor I got Grabber Green for a pedal of mine I'm building.
Let me know how the fake binding goes for you, I thought about doing that when I repaint my Epi LP Special II next year.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
so a small strip would best? even though the sides ofthe body near the back curve is very thin?

and would it be worth investing in some better pickups? or because it's a squier strat should i not waste my money?
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
its alder wood, u should be fine. my alder squier tele sounds great after upgrade.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok, it is made outta alder...so what type of pickups would be good for a bluesy/rockish sound?

hopefully pics later today

EDIT: how would these work? vintage strat, reverse wound. they're from guitar fetish...they're cheap...and i really can't have really high budget, for two reasons: i don't have a job and i'm also saving up for something....

(Invalid img)

-NG
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
Last edited by Nooeygirl at Jul 27, 2006,
i suggest u just get one pickup then.
ull get one good pickup instead of 3 bad ones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yay! pics finally!

first, a decent pic of the back...chevy orange from duplicolor:

another shot:

front of body mostly masked off (a bit crude i'd say):

full on of the headstock chevy orange...

an angle of the headstock with the fake black binding:

and finally, you can sorta see where theres some drips...i'll sand those out and give it another coat or two...but like an idiot i took off all of the masking from the headstock...

SO...since then i've started masking the back as well...hopefully will get the binding on the body sprayed tomorrow...and figure out some logo to go on the headstock (anyone wanna help? i'd like to say AHG (those being my initials, and the g will double as "guitars" as well)) so, goodnight all...

-NG
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
i'm loving that fake bind idea, and agree that you shoud just get one good pickup, - maybe a hot rails for the bridge?
Quote by JoNnHannah
I'm homeschooled because I got tired of the corporate conformist administration.

So I have a pretty crime free school, unless i decide to kill someone.

The Search [GP5] C4C
yay1 today i finished all of the binding...guitar's almost completely done. i still have to put my logo on my headstock, and laquer...pics soon
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
I disagree with the people saying 1 pickup. I love the pickups from guitar fetish. Never tried their single coils, but if they're as good as the dream 90 I put in my ibanez, they should be great. Good value on those pickups.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
hey...time for an update...finally.

i've been moving for the past several weeks, so i haven't been able to get much done. however, after i did the fake binding it turned out really bad, and my orange paint can went haywire.

SO...I've changed my plans and am going to sand back down the body and headstock and start over...this time with blue and black. so it'll be done soon. if i can i'm going to have it primed by the end of the day, and possibly a first coat of blue.

Also, how do i add stipes and designs onto kisekae? i've looked in the faq, but i'm a bit confused...help would be mucho appreciated.

thanks guys,
-NG
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
umm yea im not sure what you mean by "kisekae" but for the pickups guitar fetish has some pretty good texas special style pickups that would be perfect for what you play (blues and rock), and check out duplicolors marage paint kits. heres a link (http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html) is basicly color changeing paint that changes color depending on the angle you look at it from, pretty sweet if you ask me.
wow, that tells me nothing about this "Kisekae" you speak of, so good job doing absolutely nothing.
ohhhhh ok, yea i like to draw out my ideas, its sort of old school i guess, ive used paint though...but who hasn't, thanks call1800ksmyazz
ok...here are some color options. i've decided that i want to keep a simple design, so basically, just a solid color on the body and headstock. here are my ideas:

baby blueish color with a white pickguard/black controls:

the same as above, but with a black pickguard instead:

an almost dark seafoam-like color:

a cream and black

and finally, a bright blue:

that's all of 'em...so which do you guys like best?
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
Last edited by Nooeygirl at Aug 18, 2006,
I like the 2nd one down.

The other thing is r u actually a girl?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Nooeygirl
ok...here are some color options. i've decided that i want to keep a simple design, so basically, just a solid color on the body and headstock. here are my ideas:

baby blueish color with a white pickguard/black controls:

the same as above, but with a black pickguard instead:

an almost dark seafoam-like color:

a cream and black

and finally, a bright blue:

that's all of 'em...so which do you guys like best?

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but it is the most amazing thing if you scroll over those images at a slow/medium speed.

anyway (this isn't spam ), I like the cream and black as well as the blue and black ones.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
same here, the orange is best by far. if you really want it one of those colors though, do the green with a tortoise shell pickguard (the reddish brown ones) or a white perloid one (the sparkly ones)
Quote by eddiehimself
I like the 2nd one down.

The other thing is r u actually a girl?

yep, i'm a girl.

i'm going to better the color today, i'm still not sure what i'll be doing yet, so i't possibly that none of the ones i did are going to be the color choice. however, i don't think that'll be the case...

the body is almost done being sanded back down, i'll be able to prime it later today, and then possibly even the first few coats of paint....

-NG
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
thats gonna be sweet, i dont see many girls on these forums but thats koool
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
the light blue with black looks the best i think. but i dont really like painted headstocks, i think it would look better if you left the headstock just wood. (i think the dark rosewood and maple colors go well together)
you should do cream with like a white pickguard er something. make it look sorta like a yngwie strat, that would be kool
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
ok, so i bought the paint, and i decided to go with a bright blue like the last pic...the paint went kinda screwy on me at first, but now it's good and i have almost all the coats on...it's possible that i could have this guitar done by the middle of next week.

SO...i think i'll be able to put up some pic by tomorrow...and to flogrock, i actually have decided to a bare wood. so that's all for now
Quote by Zeppelin08

Quote by excalibur672
Page 1 of 3