Page 1 of 2
Ok, I have 700 dollars to spend on an amp. I own a Gibson SG gothic. I also own a Crate bv120 halfstack, im planning on selling that and getting a new amp. I dont like the crate cause im not getting the tone I want from this amp. I play mostly reggae music. also some rock reggae like sublime. I want to get that tone but im having trouble on peicing together what I need. What im asking for is someone who knows whats up with pedals and effects and what marshall amp I need, I would greatly appreciate it. I really dont want to get a solid state amp as I have a tube and i love That part of the amp tonewise, just not into the whole metal scene. thanks!
good to hear someones not playing metal, and reggae no less. just because your my hero, heres a little link to a company that sells kits for building clones of all sorts of great amps www.ceriatone.com. or you could look at carvins heads. as far as pedals go you really dont need a ton for that. maybe just an overdrive.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Thanks for the reply wingedgopher. I appreciate the info, but im actually looking to buy a new amp or trade mine in. Anyone else got any suggestions?
well for regge music you probobly dont want a marshall. marshalls give you more crunch and go excellent with rock and metal music.

if youre playin regge you may want to look at peaveys or fenders.

heres a peavey

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-412-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=601344

heres a fender

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-100H-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483716

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-412-4x12-100-Watt-4Ohm-Cabinet?sku=601726
Quote by rocknrollgod
well for regge music you probobly dont want a marshall. marshalls give you more crunch and go excellent with rock and metal music.

if youre playin regge you may want to look at peaveys or fenders.

heres a peavey

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-412-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=601344

heres a fender

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-100H-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483716

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-412-4x12-100-Watt-4Ohm-Cabinet?sku=601726

Don't suggest a SS half stack if he can afford a Hot Rod Deluxe, or a Blues Deluxe.
I think that a Fender Hotrod Deluxe or a Traynor YCV40 would suite those styles of music very well.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Im a little nervous bout the transition of having a half stack in my room turning into a combo amp with less wattage, although im currently not gigging, i just want something loud enough to jam with. I also play alot of classic rock, sometimes the most rock i get is some ac/dc style rock. While reading about these amps i notice people say the distortion isnt as great as marshall.. which is understandable, but lets say i throw on a Boss MD-2 Distortion, how would that sound on it? (i currently own the pedal)
Ok well.. how about this.. might save me some money, how would i go about getting more crisp clean tones from my crate bv120h. I have an MD-2 distortion.. what other pedals can i get? for that 'reggae' sound
I would reccomend trading in the crate and buying a Fender Twin. AMAZING amp, and loud as hell.
Well, right now you have a solid-state half-stack. It's 120 watts. The 2 amps I recommended in my earlier post are significantly smaller, and are both 40 watts, all-tube. However, 40 watts all-tube is equal to 100 watts solid-state. Tube amps also tend to have more headroom than SS amps (very important for reggae). If you were to buy a Fender HotRod Deluxe or a Traynor YCV40, you would have about equal volume, and far better tone. It will also be a lot smaller and more portable.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I'd get a Fender Tube amp easily

Great cleans and exactly what you need.

And it is VERY nice to hear that someone else isnt playing metal
Yea, Look at a fender hot rod deluxe or deville. You wont have ANY volume problems with a 60 watt all tube amp. It will be plenty loud for jams and what not.

Also look at the Traynor YVC40WR or YVC50BLUE (this one is probably out of your price range).

I have an Ampeg reverberocket that i snuck away with for $659.99, but its normally around $800. Still, it would be a great amp for you, probably.

EDIT: It looks like we agree again, JET.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
hahaha i thought this was the same thread

Apparantly he knows his guitar gear ^

Traynor is nice too. i forgot about it.
Look at some vintage fender combo's on ebay as well. They go for around that price and will be better than a hot rod.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Yea, Look at a fender hot rod deluxe or deville. You wont have ANY volume problems with a 60 watt all tube amp. It will be plenty loud for jams and what not.

Also look at the Traynor YVC40WR or YVC50BLUE (this one is probably out of your price range).

I have an Ampeg reverberocket that i snuck away with for $659.99, but its normally around $800. Still, it would be a great amp for you, probably.

EDIT: It looks like we agree again, JET.

What is the main difference between the devilles and the deluxes?

Quote by nic_2090
Well, right now you have a solid-state half-stack. It's 120 watts. The 2 amps I recommended in my earlier post are significantly smaller, and are both 40 watts, all-tube. However, 40 watts all-tube is equal to 100 watts solid-state. Tube amps also tend to have more headroom than SS amps (very important for reggae). If you were to buy a Fender HotRod Deluxe or a Traynor YCV40, you would have about equal volume, and far better tone. It will also be a lot smaller and more portable.

I have a crate blue voodoo 120, its not solid state its a tube amp

http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=3

thanks for the replies, im really digging the fender twins, how do those stack up against the deluxe/devilles?
Twins>Devilles... I played one and it was amazing. I'm saving up the extra money to buy one. The clean sound is amazing and on the new ones the dirstortion is pretty good. If you ONLY want cleans then I suggest the Fender Twin '65 Reissue. It doesn't have a distortion channel. The new one is nice because it also has a power switch so you can get tube overdrive without completly deafening people.
Aren't Twins like $1000-$1200?
Sorry, I'm just not into Fenders
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ i like the user name

but why do you play a peavey halfstack then??

yeah get a Fender Deluxe or the Traynor Blue
Quote by aznrockerdude
Aren't Twins like $1000-$1200?
Sorry, I'm just not into Fenders

I was thinking used. I saw a used one in a store for $850 CDN. AND if he sold his crate+the $700 he could cover it, unless the selling of the crate was included in the $700
Quote by ihatemetal
^ Dont take advice from numbnuts

Wow... What did I ever say to you?
EDIT: And Fender Twins do go for about $1200
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/FENDER_PRO_TUBE_TWIN_AMP__FREE_0215700-000KIT.html
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 23, 2006,
fafinaf, The only difference is that the deluxe is 40 watts in a 1x12 combo and the deville is 60 watts in either a 2x12 combo or a 4x10 combo. (im not 100% sure on those speaker combos, but i think that's right.) And i'd say that the Twin is a better amp, overall, but i didnt suggest it b/c i thought it would be out of your price range.

Keep in mind, if you get a Fender Hot Rod amp, the overdrive wont be top notch. They have really great clean channels, but i've always found the drive and more drive channels to be lacking, so if you play much distorted stuff, you might want to consider an overdrive pedal.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by JET116
^ i like the user name

but why do you play a peavey halfstack then??

yeah get a Fender Deluxe or the Traynor Blue

Cause its not just a metal amp?
^^^It is made for that genre, though, isnt it?.......

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
It doesn't seem to suit blues well
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Nope...dont get me wrong, its great for metal but its three channels with 3 setting for each, you can get alot of diff tones.
^^^Oh, okay.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Well im tryin to sell my crate, its actually for sale right now. I have a thread in the gear ads section, but no takers. If I have to ill probably trade it in at SamAsh + some cash for a twin or something. Ill just save for it if its going to be worth the money. I really dont like being unhappy with an amp.. i dont think anyone does actually.
Fender deville....or if thats too much(not talkin about price..talkin about wattage)...then hot rod deluxe. EXCELLENT cleans....nice overdrive..should be a perfect combo for raggae..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by fafinaf
Well im tryin to sell my crate, its actually for sale right now. I have a thread in the gear ads section, but no takers. If I have to ill probably trade it in at SamAsh + some cash for a twin or something. Ill just save for it if its going to be worth the money. I really dont like being unhappy with an amp.. i dont think anyone does actually.

The only way to completely prevent being unhappy with your amp is to try amps out before you buy them.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
The only way to completely prevent being unhappy with your amp is to try amps out before you buy them.

Thats very true, im going to be going into samash today to try out the deluxe and deville. Im looking for something with power.. although im currently not gigging, i really dont want to have to upgrade when im going to start. The overdrive pedal wont be a problem to get.. i have an md-2 right now but as i said im going for a sublime/Eek a Mouse style rock reggae. The most rock i will play is probably some ac/dc or led zeppelin/beatles classic rock. Not too into the metal scene. I just can never find the right tone for zeppelin and ac/dc with my current setup. I would like any more info you guys have on what pedals i would need to get those sounds. like a list or something lol..

Quote by keeponrockin
Are you looking at the '65 Reissue or the Twin?

im looking at the fender 65 Twin Reverb 2x12 Guitar Combo Amplifier, while its very pricy i wouldnt mind saving a few paychecks up to get it if its going to be better then the hrd and deville. Im looking longterm here, i dont want to pick up a new amp in 7-8 months if i can save money and get one thats going to to do me right for a while.

P.S. I guess i was being a little impatient by saying i only had 700.. :\ i cant help it.. i love playin
Quote by fafinaf
Thats very true, im going to be going into samash today to try out the deluxe and deville. Im looking for something with power.. although im currently not gigging, i really dont want to have to upgrade when im going to start. The overdrive pedal wont be a problem to get.. i have an md-2 right now but as i said im going for a sublime/Eek a Mouse style rock reggae. The most rock i will play is probably some ac/dc or led zeppelin/beatles classic rock. Not too into the metal scene. I just can never find the right tone for zeppelin and ac/dc with my current setup. I would like any more info you guys have on what pedals i would need to get those sounds. like a list or something lol..

im looking at the fender 65 Twin Reverb 2x12 Guitar Combo Amplifier, while its very pricy i wouldnt mind saving a few paychecks up to get it if its going to be better then the hrd and deville. Im looking longterm here, i dont want to pick up a new amp in 7-8 months if i can save money and get one thats going to to do me right for a while.

P.S. I guess i was being a little impatient by saying i only had 700.. :\ i cant help it.. i love playin

I was in the same situation. I was only planning on having 750 then I played the Twin. Gorgeous. I haven't played the 65, but apparantly the cleans are amazing.
Wow love O rock, thats a pretty good buy right there.. the only thing that concerns me, is my living in cali and that coming from iowa via ups ground.. what are the chances that its going to get banged up on the way over here.. thats a big fear of mine
im going to post my amp on ebay and see what happens, theres 6 days on that auction anyways. REALLY appreciate all the feedback!!! thanks guys keep it coming if ya got more
You have good reason to worry about a tube amp traveling that far, but the worst that can happen is the vibration and bumping would ruin the tubes, so you may want to change them when you get it. (if you buy that amp) But with an amp that old, you may want to consider new tubes right away, anyway.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
You have good reason to worry about a tube amp traveling that far, but the worst that can happen is the vibration and bumping would ruin the tubes, so you may want to change them when you get it. (if you buy that amp) But with an amp that old, you may want to consider new tubes right away, anyway.

you know what.. im just going to spring for a new one from guitar center or sam ash.. blah
Page 1 of 2