Im sure alot of you have played guitar then transitioned to bass. I was wondering if you know if that makes bass easier to play cuz you already know how to play guitar.
it does to a certain extent
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
i've been wondering this myself. been wanting to pick up a bass and mess around
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Don't know, i picked up the bass first.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
bass is easer because you dont have as many strings the strings are thicker (you wont be missing them) and the frets are bigger i dont play bass but i have before and im a guitarist

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
The only reason it's easier is because you are used fretting and you will know the fretboard. That's the only thing. Most bassists who come from guitar stick out like sore thumb, because they are just playing guitar but on bass, usually with a pick. Bass it a completely different instrument and mindsety to guitar. So no, it's not easier, but you will have a headstart. but that can hinder you if you are not careful..

If poss, do not play your bass with a pick until you can play with your fingers properly (and i dont mean the claw style). The strings are much heavier so will need to buyild up callouses too..

And do not think melodically, think rhythmically!!

Good luck
Oh hell no dude! Im not choosing the easy way out and using a pick cuz that kinda defeats the purpose of playing the bass, I think.
Yeah, as applehead said. you get a headstart just the same bassists get when they try guitar, but that doesn't mean you can get complaecent. Playing with a pick is fine, but you should always know both techniques and I personally use fingers more than a pick, but still use a pick for a few songs etc.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Applehead
The only reason it's easier is because you are used fretting and you will know the fretboard. That's the only thing. Most bassists who come from guitar stick out like sore thumb, because they are just playing guitar but on bass, usually with a pick. Bass it a completely different instrument and mindsety to guitar. So no, it's not easier, but you will have a headstart. but that can hinder you if you are not careful..

If poss, do not play your bass with a pick until you can play with your fingers properly (and i dont mean the claw style). The strings are much heavier so will need to buyild up callouses too..

And do not think melodically, think rhythmically!!

Good luck

Whats the claw style?
where you use the thumb for the first three strings and then your index, middle and ring for the bottom strings.. it's more formally known as PIMA.

Bassists would only use this style when playing harmonics usually...
Quote by Applehead
where you use the thumb for the first three strings and then your index, middle and ring for the bottom strings.. it's more formally known as PIMA.

Bassists would only use this style when playing harmonics usually...

Yeah I'm planning on doing it the other way
I played a little bit of guitar before I went bass, only the very basics of picking with my thumb... so it didn't help with my bass much. I used to play with a plectrum, but now I use my fingers.
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
bass is easer because you dont have as many strings the strings are thicker (you wont be missing them) and the frets are bigger i dont play bass but i have before and im a guitarist

*slaps*

none of that in the forum pleae

to answer the question, it would be easier because you have some finger strength already.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Applehead
doing what the other way? and what is the other way?

lol ummm i guess where you use your index and middle for all the strings?
On some things, like frets, bending, hammering etc. basic stuff.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
I played guitar for 3 years before also learning bass. It helps A LOT, i could just pick it up and get decent very quickly because of my guitar experience (i now play it in a gigging band).

Playing bass before guitar, IMO, is a very bad idea. To understand what to play with guitars, you have to know what the hell is going on musically. Ive seen a lot of people start on bass because its "easy" and have no idea about what to play and when, or why they are playing it.

Going from bass to guitar is HARD. Other way round almost feels like a natural progression.
Quote by FunkyO_49
I played guitar for 3 years before also learning bass. It helps A LOT, i could just pick it up and get decent very quickly because of my guitar experience (i now play it in a gigging band).

Playing bass before guitar, IMO, is a very bad idea. To understand what to play with guitars, you have to know what the hell is going on musically. Ive seen a lot of people start on bass because its "easy" and have no idea about what to play and when, or why they are playing it.

Going from bass to guitar is HARD. Other way round almost feels like a natural progression.

Cool cuz ive been playing guitar for about 2 years now
Actually, i started on bass and have played guitar for about a year now. To me, guitars feels like little toys compared to a bass. I found it very easy to get relatively good on guitar in no time at all..

As Thom Yorke says.. Anyone Can Play Guitar..
I played guitar for about 6 months before picking up a bass...when I got my first bass I figured out what I was missing and I havent looked back since...playing guitar gave me a pretty good headstart on bass because, as Applehead said, playing guitar helps you know the fretboard and how to fret correctly and hand positions and all that nonsense...So yea guitar before bass gives a good headstart to bass...

I still play guitar a lot, not nearly as much as I play bass though...many people are shocked that I also play guitar almost as good as bass, they're like "Whoa, you seem like such a bassist! I didnt think you ever played guitar!"...but yea I play guitar like a guitar and bass like a bass...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I never touched a guitar before bass. I used my friends guitar....and it was...well...boring.
i played guitar for a year and a half, then got a bass. getting your hand used to stretching and stuff and like someone said knowing how to fret is where you really would get a "headstart". everyone i've seen playbass for the first time pick it super-acquardly (sorry about the spelling) so people seem to start out one square one there no matter what.
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join