ok, here's my prob. i'm really confused as to what gear to get for my style. i play mostly muse and red hot chili peppers. Can any of you guys suggest what guitar, amp and pedals to get to help me create their sounds? I especially wanna get that 'john frusciante effect', he is my hero. i've been looking up so many dif guitars but i'm still not sure. any suggestions? thx in advance.
1960's (1960-70) Strats...OR les Paul. Amp- Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall Silver Jubilee 100 or Marshall 200W major. Pedals | Boss DS-2 Distortion, Electro Harmonix USA Big Muff Pi Distortion/sustainer, Electro Harmonix Graphic Fuzz, Z fex Fuzz factory. Wah wah- J. Dunlop Wah, Ibanez WH-10 Wah (used now), ZVex Wah Probe. Delay/Reverb - Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler, Electro-Harmonix 16-second Digital Delay, Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb. Others- BOSS Master Switch , BOSS FV-50 Volume pedal, MXR Micro Amp.
Frusciante uses D'Addario EXL110 strings (0.10 - 0.46) with a .11 for the thin "E", and orange Dunlop Tortex .60mm plectrums.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
whoa, dats a lotta gear...thx man...btw, know anythin bout the pricing of the stuff above?
if you wanna go semi cheap, get a made in mexico strat (used if possible)

throw some new pickups on that.

get a nice fender tube amp, hot rod or something, or maybe even a vox valvetronix.

get a tube-distortion pedel and a wah.

you'd be golden.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
I dont know how easy it is to get real 60's strats but a USA strat is £645/$1200. Or custom shop strats upwards of £1000/$1900. Les Pauls £1200/$2229. Fender Twin Reverb £950/$1775. Marshall Silver Jubilee 100W and 200W major are hard to find and cost a fair bit. Boss DS-2 Turbo Dist is £45/$80. BIg Muff Pi is the same. Graphic fuzz is £120/$220. Not sure on the fuxx factory sorry. J. Dunlop Wah is £70/$130. Ibanez WH-10 £120/$225. The Zvex wah probe is £150/$280. The LIne 6 DL4 is £200/$370. Electro harmonix 16 sec delay is £160/$300. HOly grail reverb is £55/$100. BOss master switch is like a power box which you plug all your pedals into i think. Not sure on price. Boss FV-500H (FV500H) High Impedance Guitar Pedal is £60/$110. MXR Micro Amp is £80/$150. Im afraid thats roughly it and all i can give you. Other more knowledgeable members may help you more.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
yeah, think i'll go your way guitar_nate. i think i can only afford less than half the stuff dat W4T3V3R posted above. what pickups do you think i should get? and what about a chorus effect pedal?
I would go to the hardcore or metal forum and find some new bands.
What the hell is the internet?
ok, change of plans. i was just informed by my 'sponsors' that i only have a budget of USD1200-1500 to spend, so how now?
Quote by Guglet
I would go to the hardcore or metal forum and find some new bands.

I think you should go and die too.

Threadstarter, lets be a bit more realistic and state what your price range is.

And for a cheapish setup, get a Fender Strat and some kind of Fender valve amp, then a few pedals.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30