just wondering if anyone has the problem i do. I am a much better player in terms of speed and chordal work when im playing sitting down as compared to playing standing. Now i know the reason why this is which happens to be i practice much much more sitting rather than standing. My question however is does anyone prefer to sit rather than stand even though in my chosen genre (hard rock, metal) you feel a better player?
I learn most songs sitting down as i read the tabs straight from the net but once ive learnt it i alternate between standing and sitting depending on what mood im in.
Standing and playing is alot more fun for me as you can rock out to the music whereas when i sit i can play less sloppy and generally faster.

EDIT: Also you will play better sitting down because you dont have to support the neck so much with your fretting hand.
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
Last edited by PuggyRox at Jul 23, 2006,
ive got that too! i think it would take alot of "standing playing" to get better at it....
^this guy's wrong
yep I had the "problem" when starting with e-guitar after several years accoustic (sitting). it almost seemed as if I can hardly play any chord properly
but now I always practise while standing. for example: palm muting I cannot perform while sitting coz I used to practise it in stand
Quote by Pearson
Um. NIRVANA. I hope kurt dies. Oh wait, he killed himself already.
i like sitting more just because im f*cking lazy

but if i feel energetic and am playing hXc metal or something of the sort, i like to stand.

rock out with my **** out.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
im definately better playing sitting down than standing up. because i practised all the time sitting down and my wrist hurts when i play standing up. getin better at playin standin up now tho
I prefer to sit, usually 'cos my strap breaks.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
when im sessioning for another band esp. if i dont know them well, i try and stand cos its kinda rude to sit down n play. gives the message that you dont really give a fuk.

but i would sit down if i feel tired, after an hour or so. And practicing before a gig, its always good to stand up as you can work on your presentation and get used to standing up playing.
Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
Most people encounter this problem and its a combination of things but the main contribution to feeling uncomfortable with standing and playing is the fact that you adjust oyur strap height to make you look cool instead of making it easier to play.
Not everybody can have their axe by their balls and play past the 12th fret so try bringing your guitar up higher and it shouild help out a good bit.
Just a suggestion.... it may be easier for you to play sitting because the guitar is higher up on you than when you're standing.
How low is your strap, and have you considered raising your strap?

It really irks me when I see some stupid kid (not meaning you, just anyone in general) who has his guitar at his knees because it looks "cool", when in reality, he's just making himself much sloppier.
The best guitarist I know has his guitar almost touching his neck when he plays, but he's absolutely amazing, because he can play so cleanly, no matter what it looks like.
perfect example

John Petrucci - above waist

Korn - below knees

ah, see the difference?

my method is to adjust the strap so that it's at the same height as if i were sitting, possibly a bit lower...yes, it may look more "uncool" but the playing balances that out anyway
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by satriani11
just wondering if anyone has the problem i do. I am a much better player in terms of speed and chordal work when im playing sitting down as compared to playing standing. Now i know the reason why this is which happens to be i practice much much more sitting rather than standing. My question however is does anyone prefer to sit rather than stand even though in my chosen genre (hard rock, metal) you feel a better player?

... if you stand straight legged, and have your guitar down at your knees, or anywhere below your belly your going to be uncomfortable playing standing up...

spread your legs, and bend your knees, just like if you were on a snowboard, or a wakeboard, you look like a goon if you stand with straight legs and play the guitar... the second thing to do, is to bring your strap up...

its not just because you practise sitting down, its because your posture standing up is SOOO vastly different the angle that your arm holds the neck at is very different
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Quote by axe_grinder247
perfect example

Korn - below knees

ah, see the difference?

my method is to adjust the strap so that it's at the same height as if i were sitting, possibly a bit lower...yes, it may look more "uncool" but the playing balances that out anyway

Exactly. I have a couple friends who are good and play low, but it's extremely uncomfortable for them, and they are really limiting what they can do.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
If you start gigging, it's gonna be hard to play what you play, well different playing. But i can do both, i can play better stading.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
i find my picking accuracy suffers greatly when im standing. and who really cares how you look with your strap high? just make it the 'cool' thing to do in your head, and everyone else will think you're cool for doing something that obviously makes you look less cool. its all about the music anyway, if you wanted to play guitar to look cool, you're stupid.
Quote by `NeXxuS`
its not just because you practise sitting down
That's not quite right, IMHO. I think it's more like "it's not because you practice sitting down, but rather because you don't practice while you stand up."

You're just not used to it. Your hand is at an odd angle. Just down some vertical practice and you'll get used to it. I don't think there's a need for you to be doing all of your practicing while you stand up, especially if you practice for several hours at a time.
Quote by axe_grinder247
perfect example

Korn - below knees

ah, see the difference?

I do the same when I'm standing. I know it looks as cool as a skin-tight back pack, but it's about the music not the look.
oh yer definatly, i find it much easier to play with my guitar higher than my waist. I actually saw petrucci do it so naturally you copy your idols. But yer its much easier to play higher than lower but at the same time its not like sitting down. Its just a matter of practicing standing
palm muting and alternate picking are a bit easier when sitting down, but...

piece of advice:

try to angle your neck at like 30 or 40 degrees above horizontal, it makes it loads easier to alternate pick and palm mute
I do tend to only sit with an acoustic, as I find it hard to play satnding witht the fatter head. But with an electric, it's much of a muchness.
With rythym, if you play below your waist it wont really matter too much, all you're really doing is keeping time. but for lead and solo work it's best to enable as much movement with your fretting hand as you can.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
When you play sitting down, sit the guitar on your left knee, or use it with a strap, the sit down/stand up transition is so much easier.
Acoustics can be easier sitting down at first but Ive always found electric easier standing. Now that I play my electric WAY more than my acoustic I like playing the acoustic standing up too. Note Ill never play with my electric down to my knees. It desnt look that cool and why sacrifice playbility? I tend to keep it around waist high.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Quote by MastaBassist10
When you play sitting down, sit the guitar on your left knee, or use it with a strap, the sit down/stand up transition is so much easier.

ah yes, the classical position is how i usually play because for me it prevents excessive hunching and such...also very helpful for the transition from sitting to standing, especially for your left hand in my opinion
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.