i need help! does anyone know what effect pedals john frusciante uses on dani california? please help :d
Ibanez Phaser
sweep echo
wah
Boss DS-1
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
^Are you sure he didn't use a Big Muff for the solo? He uses one for most of his solos, but then again he does often use a DS-1 as well. He also uses an autowah or envelope filter of some kind for the verses, not sure what model
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
I think he uses some kind of phaser from Moog in the verse, and then a Big Muff, DS-2, and a Ibanez WH-10 wah for the solo.
cheers guys. now i know what to save up for! i've allready got wah pedal and i was think of getting a phaser and i've got an echo effect on my amp.
the verses are clean but theres that little wah part. then the chorus just uses distortion, then after the chorus for that interlude it sounds layered like one guitar sounds like its using a wah and the other one sounds like its using a phaser, you gotta listen for it though. and the solo is also distiortion but I heard he uses to distortion pedals for that fuzzy sound(I heard it was a big muff and a DS-1) and then at the end he brings the wah to the treble side quick then brings it back to the back and slowly pushes it down.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Guitars

Frusciante is known to use mostly vintage guitars, including:

* Two 1940s Martin acoustics
* 1950s Gibson ES-335 Two Color Sunburst
* 1955 Gretsch White Falcon
* 1957 Fender Stratocaster Two Color Sunburst, maple fretboard
* 1960s Gibson SG Sunburst
* 1961 Fender Stratocaster Two Color Sunburst, rosewood fretboard
* 1961 Gibson SG Custom Cherry Red
* 1961 Fender Stratocaster, Olympic White, rosewood fretboard
* 1962 Fender Stratocaster, Three Color Sunburst, rosewood fretboard
* 1962 Fender Jaguar Fiesta Red
* 1963 Fender Custom Telecaster, rosewood fretboard
* 1965 Fender Custom Telecaster, rosewood fretboard
* 1965 Fender Duo-Sonic Olympic White, rosewood fretboard
* 1969 Fender Mustang Fiesta Red (Practice Guitar)
* 1969 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty
* Ibanez RG 250 DX (used during Mother's Milk)
* Maton Messiah 12-string acoustic (which can be heard on "Breaking the Girl")
* Mosrite St.George Gold 12-string electric
* Fender Precision Bass Olympic White, rosewood fretboard

His 1955 Stratocaster was used in the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and the 1962 Stratocaster was given to him as a present by bandmate Anthony Kiedis after he returned to the band. He has also been seen playing a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty guitar, mainly during the Red Hot Chili Peppers tour in 2004 for the cover song, "Black Cross", he also can be seen playing a Gibson SG Custom in the music video for "Fortune Faded".

John has been seen playing a Toronado in the video for "Can't Stop", although on a commentary audio track for the music video included on the DVD that accompanied the 2003 RHCP Greatest Hits album, John states that he only used the guitar for the video because the director asked him to.

As of 2006, John has been seen playing a number of different guitars in the Red Hot Chili Peppers' music video for "Dani California", involving the band paying tribute to several bands including The Beatles and Nirvana. Towards the end of the video, the band "become" themselves and John plays a white 1961 Fender Stratocaster, with its visible wear and tear. It is similar to a white Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix used, who is one of John's major influences.

John uses his beat up red Mustang to warm up before a concert. One of his original Jaguars was stolen back in the early '90s, though it is not certain if the blue or green one was stolen. John also has a white Fender Precision Bass, which is seen in the "Past Recedes" video. Most likely, it is a vintage pre-'65 P-Bass. Also visible in the video is a miniature acoustic.

Amplification

* Fender Blackface Showman
* Fender Twin Reverb (John keeps this next to his pedalboard)
* Marshall JTM-45
* Marshall 100W Super Bass
* Marshall Silver Jubilee 100
* Marshall 200W Major

He primarily uses Marshall amplifiers, mainly two Silver Jubilee and a 200-watt Major. Although, has also been seen using amps by Vox and Fender.

Effects/Pedalboard

John has used and/or is still using the following effects.

Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive:

* BOSS OD-1 Overdrive (used early in his career with the RHCP, but quickly removed from his pedal board)
* BOSS DS-1 Distortion (used solely in the Mother's Milk era, and for the song "Otherside")
* BOSS DS-2 Distortion
* Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff Pi Distortion/Sustainer
* Electro-Harmonix Graphic Fuzz
* Z.Vex Fuzz Factory

Modulation/Filter:

* BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble (Also used for Vibrato effects greatly used on "Stadium Arcadium").
* Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger & Filter Matrix
* Electro-Harmonix Frequency Analyzer
* Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthensizer
* Electro-Harmonix Tube Zipper
* Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
* Moog MF-103 MoogerFooger 12 Stage Phaser
* MXR Phase 90 (re-issue)
* Dunlop Univibe Stereo Chorus

Wah-Wah:

* Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah
* Ibanez WH-10 Wah-Wah (John's preferred Wah today. John has several of these pedals, as they are long discontinued, and due to being made of plastic, break easily.)
* ZVex Wah-Probe

Delay/Reverb:

* Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
* Electro-Harmonix 16-second Digital Delay
* Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler

Other:

* BOSS Master Switch
* BOSS FV-50 Volume pedal
* MXR Micro Amp (John uses this to get more output from the pickups in his Strats)

Frusciante's pedalboard for the Californication tour was rather modest, only five pedals, though his effects arsenal for the By the Way tour was considerably larger. John used a wide variety of modular synth gear in the studio for the making of Stadium Arcadium.

Guitar Strings / Picks

Frusciante uses D'Addario EXL110 strings (0.10 - 0.46) with a .11 for the thin "E", and orange Dunlop Tortex .60mm plectrums.

Thank you Wikipedia.
Sent from my iPad.
I'll give you the real answer....

Strat neck pickup all the way through.

Intro+Verses=Clean
The wah bit= something Moog, but it's easier just to use a wah
Prechorus= Clean.

Chorus= Big Muff + a booster of some kind
Solo1= ^Same

Bridge= the autowah/filter on the Moog, but wah will do.

There's a phaser in the 1 second before the solo....
Solo= Big Muff+ booster
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Who knew the other side of you. (John singing high)
Don't be afraid to care"

^A Big Muff would help, but John's got a great clean tone too, so you'd need to get close to that in order to get his Muff sound better.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
^A Big Muff would help, but John's got a great clean tone too, so you'd need to get close to that in order to get his Muff sound better.

ok i have a stock MIM strat, so what i do need to do for a good clean sound?
Set your amp right.
Neck pickup, mid and treble high, slight bit of breakup, big fat clean sound.
Don't be afraid to care"

I have a problem...I'm not as good as some of you guys here so could anyone tab that performance? It's The Red Hot Chili Peppers Dani California At Abbey Road... I fell in love with John's solo and i want to learn it fast...so could anyone just tab this for me? Just the solo...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJu1KQ10E_c
basically a '57 strat with seymour duncans? in it. apparently he swapped them round on it. clean neck pickup throughout, wah on the little riff in some of the verses, DS-2 on chorus, phaser on the interlude, big muff on solo, dunno whether he uses it and the DS-2 at the same time, and a wah at the fast end bit of the solo.

BTW, does anyone know what big muff Fru uses, the russian or the american? ive seen his pedalboard, and i think its the american, but im not sure.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
basically a '57 strat with seymour duncans? in it. apparently he swapped them round on it. clean neck pickup throughout, wah on the little riff in some of the verses, DS-2 on chorus, phaser on the interlude, big muff on solo, dunno whether he uses it and the DS-2 at the same time, and a wah at the fast end bit of the solo.

BTW, does anyone know what big muff Fru uses, the russian or the american? ive seen his pedalboard, and i think its the american, but im not sure.

He uses the USA Muff, he used to use the Russian one back in Cali days.

And there's no damn phaser in the interlude! It's his Moog that he uses for the verses. (There's a phaser in that 1 second right before the solo though)
Don't be afraid to care"

^thats the bit i meant, the second before the solo
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild