Well, Im either buying a JCM 800 in 100W today, or a 50W tomorow.
Which one should I get? Would the 100 be to powerfull for me?
I would get the 100W one. You can always turn it down..
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
if you plan on playing venues id get the 100
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by Guitar_Master92
I would get the 100W one. You can always turn it down..

But it's easier to saturate the tubes with 50, and you would never need 100 watts. 50 would be plenty, even for bigger venues unless you need extremely loud cleans.
well if I would want the 50W it would cost me like $150 more (shipping, and just the price is higher)
I would say that 50 watts should be fine. Although, 100 watts would give you some extra headroom......
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Yea, why did you make 2 threads on this. Good for you, you are buying a JCM800, but you sir are stupid for not trying it, ever and buying it. But 50watts is fine

Well good luck with that..
I've always prefered the 100w versions for that extra push over the cliff, but the 50w versions are just as good. But if 100 watts is good enough for Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix and others, its more than good enough for me.
50watts.

But try before you buy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Gutch220
I've always prefered the 100w versions for that extra push over the cliff, but the 50w versions are just as good. But if 100 watts is good enough for Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix and others, its more than good enough for me.

Also that was back in the day they didnt use PA's, so bassicly you had only the amp to rely on.

Id only get a 100 watt amp if i was gonna use it for onyl clenas and needed headroom.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'm thinking of buying a 100 Watt Twin... Amazing amp, but the good thing is it has a power switch so it can go to 25 watts... Don't the JCM 100 watters have a power switch?
^Nope.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by keeponrockin
I'm thinking of buying a 100 Watt Twin... Amazing amp, but the good thing is it has a power switch so it can go to 25 watts... Don't the JCM 100 watters have a power switch?

jcm900's do

but people make a big deal about the difference between 50 and 100 watters, they are barely any different. 99% of people won't noctice the headroom difference.
Quote by llanafreak44
i would actually prefer 100 watts, bceause it wont make that much of a difference butby about 7 decibels

The volume difference between 50 and 100W is only 3 dB, and that's the smallest increment most people can actually detect.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
until you crank a 50w jcm 800 you'll never understand how loud it is. you can literally play a huge auditorium with it and still have the master on 7. its ridiculous how loud it is.

the guy doesn't need to try it before he buys it. jcm800's are not made anymore and its often impossible if your buying it from outa town. if you've heard any great major guitarist from the 80's you know what one sounds like. calling him stupid for not trying before he buys is a little dumb and unnecessary. this is one case where trying it isn't gonna teach him anything and if this is the sound he wants he needs to get the jcm800.

get whichever one you can get the best price on. and don't overlook the 2x12 combos which are ungodly loud also.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
One thing I see people look past almost everytime is when you crank a tube amp, once you start going from ~6 to 10 the amount of distortion increases more than the volume.
Quote by bonchie1

the guy doesn't need to try it before he buys it. jcm800's are not made anymore and its often impossible if your buying it from outa town. if you've heard any great major guitarist from the 80's you know what one sounds like.

But it'd be a lot better if he knew what he was buying into first instead of buying blindly, sure his fav artists may use them, doesn't mean he'll get a sound like them though..
Don't be afraid to care"

If you buy a tube amp lets say with four power tubes, cant you take out the outer tubes to makes it less wattage or less loud. (i heard it somewhere so dont flame me please)
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Quote by Distortion_101
If you buy a tube amp lets say with four power tubes, cant you take out the outer tubes to makes it less wattage or less loud. (i heard it somewhere so dont flame me please)

i've heard of people doing that with fender and peavy amps. never heard of someone doing it with a jcm 800 though so i don't know if it can safely be done. the 50 watters only have 2 tubes also.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
im sure you can do it with all tube amps. just have to bias it or something
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
I've got the JCM 800 50w 1987, modded with a master volume. Its pretty damn loud, If I turn it up to 5 with channel volume on full, the pictures on the walls almost fall down ! I will never need anymore than my 50W, and if your playing in big venues, there wil often be a PA system anyway.. Go for the 50W mate, unless you need extremly loud clean tones...
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Last edited by Sl4Sh_Jr. at Jul 25, 2006,
if the 100 watt is cheaper for you then just buy that and pull two power tubes out, boom 50 watts.....but if there the same price then get the 50.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by bonchie1
until you crank a 50w jcm 800 you'll never understand how loud it is. you can literally play a huge auditorium with it and still have the master on 7. its ridiculous how loud it is.

the guy doesn't need to try it before he buys it. jcm800's are not made anymore and its often impossible if your buying it from outa town. if you've heard any great major guitarist from the 80's you know what one sounds like. calling him stupid for not trying before he buys is a little dumb and unnecessary. this is one case where trying it isn't gonna teach him anything and if this is the sound he wants he needs to get the jcm800.

get whichever one you can get the best price on. and don't overlook the 2x12 combos which are ungodly loud also.

Doesn't need to try it? I'm not sure about you, but for me, a JCM 800 would be a pretty big investment that I would want to be sure about. What if he gets it and doesn't like it? If I drop $1000+ I want to be damn sure that I will be happy with it.
Quote by El Codyo
Doesn't need to try it? I'm not sure about you, but for me, a JCM 800 would be a pretty big investment that I would want to be sure about. What if he gets it and doesn't like it? If I drop $1000+ I want to be damn sure that I will be happy with it.

with a jcm800 you know what your getting. and if hes buying it local by all means try it out. but if hes getting it from somewhere he can't try it out at he should get it if he knows its what he wants. they are great amps.

i was just responding to the person who called him an idiot for not trying it out first. if that was the case most people on here wouldn't have jcm800's. the majority of people here get them off ebay. and other online trading sites.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals