Hey there.

I was just wondering, beside the normal I, IV, V7 chord progression, what other good chord progressions are there? Particularly for metal.

I know, it's a nOOb question, but thing is I usually only play with the I, IV, V7 chord progression and I wanna learn something new.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
ii-V-I is a jazzy one, works well with 7th chords also.
I-VI-IV-V is a nice reliable one for most circumstances.

Just play around, so long as you place emphasis on strong chords like I and V it should all sound musical, and you might happen on something a bit special.
Last edited by TheUnholy at Jul 23, 2006,
Ahhh ok, Thx alot dude..just one more very embaressing question lol

Take that II V I progression you just gave me.

If I wanna play That in the key of C.

Will it be :

C ,D, G,C

???

Because since I only used the I, IV, V7 chord progression, Its a give that whichever key you are playing at, thatll be the "I".

But if a chord progression starts with a II...what then?
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Nah, just play the I for twice as long. I like to play around with patterns, so I get something like:

am7 / / / / D7 / / / / G7 / / / / G7 /

So that the last bar doesn't just completely echo the third one, but whatever suits you best. ii - V - I is, I believe, a Jazz standard, but I like it in floaty ballads as well. Not great for metal, though.

Also keep in mind 12 bar blues:

I - I - I - I - IV - IV - I - I - V - IV - I - I
Last edited by TheUnholy at Jul 23, 2006,
^ careful with your notation of progressions. minor chords need to be lowercase. so it would be more of ii V I (or at least i see it that way more often).

eternal one, i suggest you read corwinoid's post here. it has some really good info and should help you work out new progressions.
Ooh, good call Jof.

I'll go edit that now if it'll still let me.

And nice link, as well.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Im a big fan of the 1950s jazz progressions. Like the l vi ii V and l vi lV V. Theyre always fun to jam to.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??