ive looked at every lesson I can get my hands on about modes, and noone seem to quite go into this clearly enough for me.

From what I understand if your soloing in the key of D major, depending on what chords come up you could use many different modes:

D ionian
D dorian
D phrygian
etc.

but if you're playing D dorian, your really playing a C scale, so shouldnt that sound odd when played against a D major chord progression. my guitar teahcer also went into playing different boxes of scales. now if I play the major scale in D, starting from D on the E string, and play a major scale, the next box up playing the D scale but with an E root fits into the D chord progression, but is an E dorian. basially I have two partially contradictory ideas behind soloing in my head at once, and im not wholly sure how they compliment each other, I have a vague idea but it doesnt quite make sense.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Man, the answer to your question is just sooooo big.

These scales all contain the same notes. Notice the notes going down spell a D major scale.

D major ( ionian)
E dorian
F# phrygian
G lydian
A Mixolydian
B Minor ( aoelian)
C# Locrian

Now you can use every one of those PATTERNS in d major. You would just want to center around the note D, to give a D major sound, and that is the first thing you should do learning scales/improv.

To center around other notes of the scale, convincing your ear that E is the tonal center of your music, gives you an E dorian tonality.
Quote by dnjoe
but if you're playing D dorian, your really playing a C scale,
Wrong.

so shouldnt that sound odd when played against a D major chord progression.
Correct. You would never play D Dorian over a D major.

Try to stop thinking in terms of lead guitar for a moment. What you need to understand is that scales are the building blocks for music. They don't exclusively apply to melodies, or solos, or chords .. but to all. EVERYTHING in music is taken out of scales. They are the fundamental building blocks.

If you don't understand how chords are constructed from scales/modes then go learn that first.

Your job as a lead guitarist isn't to pick a scale and do a solo. Your job is to understand what you are playing on top of and then figure out how you can enrich that and give it some direction with a melody.

Every chord is constructed from a mode. Every mode builds a unique chord. So start there. In the case of D major you've got a few choices. You could add a #4 and make the mode Lydian. You could add a diminished 7th and make it Mixolydian.. you could add a major 7th and make it Ionian. In the case of D minor you could use Dorian or Aeolian or Phrygian etc..

But when it comes to applying modes you've gotta understand these concepts behind chords and tones. C Ionian might share the same notes as D Dorian .. but that doesn't mean they do the same thing. Ionian constructs a major 7th chord. Dorian constructs a Minor 7th. The two have very different properties. If you play a C major scale from C to C over a Dmin7 chord the mode you're using is not C Ionian, it's D Dorian. Why ? Because every single note that you play functions differently depending on what notes/chords you're playing over. A "C" note played on top of a Dmin7 will function as a b7, not a 1 in the case of Ionian. The answer is HARMONY. The HARMONY created by each mode is different therefore the fact that the notes are the same is completely irrelvant. You would never try to argue that an Am chord is the same a Cmajor chord. So why try to argue that C Ionian is the same as A Aeolian ?

So stop thinking just in terms of lead guitar. It's not just the lead guitarist that picks the mode. It's the entire band and what they're playing at any given moment.
garrett, thats one hell of a good answer, thanks a bunch
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
^Corwinoid's link = best explanation of modes and Pitch Axis theory ever
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
garett you should make a lesson on which modes go into what sound over what chords... you seem like you have the perfect understanding to make a lesson like that, and i really want a lesson like that.... i cant seem to think of what modes i should play over a chord progression other than a major scale sound or a minor scale sound. please make one??? ill like, spell check it for you or somethin.