i'm planning on buying a new amp soon. i wanted to get a summer job but i didn't (check out my user title ) so i can't really count on a decent amount of money. that's why i decided i'll try to get something used.
so, my question is, what should i check when buying a used amp to make sure it's allright?
also, in case i get a tube amp, how much would it cost me (roughly) to retube it if the previous owner didn't do that recently...
thanks.
Depending on how loud the amp is (which determines how many tubes it has), it could cost between $100-150 to re-tube it. When you're checking an amp, turn all the dials and use all the controls to make sure that they work and that they don't crackle when you turn them. Next, take the cable in the input and turn the end of the cable in circles to make sure that there's not a short in the input. Also, try turning it up a little to make sure it gains volume at a steady rate and doesn't get overly noisy. If it passes all those things, then it's in good working shape.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
if you do try it out make sure u use YOUR guitar, dont use a JEM and think it sounds amazing and take it home and find out it doesnt sound as good as you thought it did
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Depends how many valves it has, some amps can cost about... £25-30 to re-valve.

Also, check if everything is working with all the features/knobs and listen if the speaker's alright.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by 666_Belial
i'm planning on buying a new amp soon. i wanted to get a summer job but i didn't (check out my user title ) so i can't really count on a decent amount of money. that's why i decided i'll try to get something used.
so, my question is, what should i check when buying a used amp to make sure it's allright?
also, in case i get a tube amp, how much would it cost me (roughly) to retube it if the previous owner didn't do that recently...
thanks.

hey man i have a 1982 carvin xv-112 combo tube amp. im selling it in the classifieds section

heres a link to it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6252795#post6252795
^^i'm in europe, and i'm planning to try out the amp before buying... so no deal, sorry...
in case i have to get a solid state amp, which brands should i look for? i know that marshall SS aren't very good.
i need a nice clean sound, but also something like rock/hard rock distortion. i like to play AC/DC and GN'R...
Vox Valvetronix.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
ok, thanks. i'll check them out but i'm afraid i won't find any here where i live...
are laney SS any good?