Given the info that Thom Yorke has given about any possible concept behind Radiohead's "Kid A" album (specifically the interview where Yorke said how Kid A could refer to the first human clone), I've pieced together an interesting analysis of the song that some in the Radiohead Thread agreed made Kid A make a lot of sense. Obviously it's a Junkyard article, but I hope it's an interesting one at least. Here it is:

In 2000, Radiohead released a music masterpiece album titled "Kid A". Though it alienated some fans with its vast departure from the band's previous sound, others (like myself) consider it to be the band's artistic pinnacle. It even received a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year, and won the awards for Best Alternative Album and Best Engineered Album in early 2001.
However, with such an incredible album comes incredibly cryptic lyrics. Many fans and critics alike have tried to piece together the songs, trying to find an underlying concept throughout the album. However, one may think, due to some of Thom Yorke's interview quotes, that this is impossible. Thom Yorke has denied any meaning to any of the lyrics throughout most of the album (in fact, many of the lyrics were actually drawn randomly from a hat and placed into the song). But, if you look at this information closely, Thom Yorke denies only meaning in the lyrics, and leads on that one unifying theory or subtext is still entirely possible. This of course allows many different interpretations.
Chuck Klosterman, a columnist for Spin and also a successful author, explains in his book "Killing Yourself to Live" how Kid A refers to the terrible events of September 11th, even though the album was released almost a year prior to them. This has led some fans to believe the album is a prophecy, and thus even more of a masterpiece in its own right.
Many other things could also have contributed to the album title and even some of its lyrics. Thom Yorke's first child was born not long after the album was released, which might have given them the title "Kid A". Thom Yorke has also said that in the studio he named the synthesizers "Kid A".
However, there is one incredibly important piece of information that Thom Yorke has given that really inspired me to think. In one interview, Thom Yorke said that "Kid A" could refer to the first human clone. Though many fans were confused by this and had trouble tying together any concept or continuing meaning throughout the album, I have painstakingly taken the time, thought, and effort to do just that. And with that information collected into my dementia, I created a song-by-song analysis of the events of Kid A that could potentially tie it together as a concept album about the first human clone:

Everything in its Right Place: The prelude to the album. Since Yorke has claimed to be against cloning, bioengineering, and the like, I figure "Everything in its Right Place" specifically refers to the world before cloning.
Kid A: The first human is cloned. The xylophones and other childlike contributions to the sound are meant to portray Kid A first coming into the world, discovering everything for itself for the first time. The electronic voice effect may actually intend to be Kid A's own electronic, humanoid voice (implying that clones are not really people).
The National Anthem: Kid A first being engulfed in the outside world, being around other people, seeing the landscapes for itself. The line "Everyone has got the fear" refers to people who, like Yorke, fear the idea of cloning, and the line is sung from Kid A's point of view, who begins to realize that it's not technically a human like everyone around it.
How to Disappear Completely: Kid A first experiences depression, after discovering its nonhuman-like characteristics. Kid A imagines itself being somewhere else; "I'm not here/This isn't happening".
Treefingers: This one's vague, but I consider this to be Kid A's dreams, which, like the song, are relatively empty and don't really go anywhere. The dull, melody-less guitar line is supposed to portray Kid A's unconscious dementia, which can't experience truly lucid human-like dreams.
Optimistic: The genetic engineers of Kid A find out that it knows about its existence, and that it knows it's not really human. The scientists then try to encourage Kid A to be optimistic, in order to keep Kid A alive, so the scientists' experiment remains a success (and thus can make more money; which relates to the capitalist greed that Yorke consistently tries to portray).
In Limbo: The beginning of the end. Kid A slips into manic depression and cannot accept its own existence. "You're living in a fantasy world" directly describes how alienated Kid A feels in a world full of people so different from itself.
Idioteque: All the allusions to how the world is becoming so technologically-ruled and overall less human-like (lines like "Mobiles chirping" and "I laugh until my head comes off" are meant to portray robots; Kid A is, essentially, a robot as well). Though this doesn't directly relate to Kid A, I believe this is just an overall impression of the Earth in an advanced, mechanical age; that perhaps Kid A is just the beginning of an unnecessary, dangerous mechanical revolution.
Morning Bell: Kid A, fed up with its existence, commits suicide. Lines like "Release me" and "Cut the kids in half" may also refer directly to this. The lyrics are the violent part of the song, while the calm ondes martenot line is meant to imply that Kid A's death is hardly sad at all, since Kid A isn't even human. Thus a sad or at all aggressive melody wouldn't be necessary.
Motion Picture Soundtrack: Kid A's funeral. Pretty simple. The first, longer section of the song is the actual funeral service, the silence is perhaps Kid A's corpse being lowered into the ground, and the second part of the song is Kid A ascending among the stars up to Heaven, or as much of a Heaven as a clone would go to.

There it is. Keep in mind that it is only my interpretation, though I posted it in the Radiohead thread and a few members agreed that it made a lot of sense.
I'm not trying to brag that I came up with this or anything; I'm just trying to offer you the chance to listen to the album from a different perspective. Kid A on its own is an incredible album, but with this underlying theory in mind, Kid A can become the greatest album you've ever listened to.

[/article]
Interesting. I liked it a lot, even though I don't know how true it is.

btw, could you please sum up the A7xownz article for me? I got through like 15 pages and ran out of time.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by Hypnot1st
btw, could you please sum up the A7xownz article for me? I got through like 15 pages and ran out of time.

A7xownz comes in, completely defending Avenged Sevenfold, and everyone is telling him to shutup and quite arguing because he keeps telling everyone else that their opinions don't matter.
Beckerism, Resilience, and a couple other bold members come in and start fake befriending A7xownz, and in fact tell him he's good enough to be a mod. They then tell him to PM Cas and ask if he can become a mod, because all of his "friends" in that thread think he can make an excellent mod.
Well, normally this would get him a ban, but Cas and the rest actually mod him, just to get back at the members in the thread! Only he doesn't actually have mod powers, so Cas is basically fooling everybody.
I won't ruin all of it for you, but that's most of it. It gets going after about 20 pages or so, and then you won't want to stop reading. All of the comments, the twists, everything... it's an epic novel in one thread. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen on this entire site, or the entire internet for that matter.
Interesting. I liked it a lot, even though I don't know how true it is.

I know, I just offered it as a different interpretation. A take it or leave it type thing, just to give someone an alternate perspective on the album, you know? I don't expect everyone to 100% agree with it, just think about it.
But thanks, glad to see it interest you!
Liked the article, maybe look at other Radiohead albums too as most couldbe claimed to be concept albums

P.S. Will also read as much of the 41 pages as I can.

EDIT : Hilarious thread! I recommend it! Long read but worth it.
Last edited by Sir Edwin CBE at Jul 23, 2006,
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Liked the article, maybe look at other Radiohead albums too as most couldbe claimed to be concept albums

I've been meaning to tackle Amnesiac, too, because Yorke has said it's like Kid A only from a different point of view. I haven't gotten the chance to really piece together much information yet, but I suppose it's something to maybe keep open in the future. It's a cool idea, I'll admit.
2nd post:

I just remembered this, I heard a live Radiohead show and Thom says "this is a birthday song" about Morning Bell. I can post a soundclip if you want it.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
I'm just bumping this because I stumbled upon this when I was looking through my old threads, and I thought it was pretty interesting. Would someone consider approving this for an article? Because it seems kinda cool, but maybe that's just me.
Sorry if this is annoying...
Wow pretty cool. I like how you kind of made it seem like a concept album. Makes total sense, dude. You should also add some other theory of the album like how people call it kid 17 because if you let the album play and then play another one exactly 17 seconds after wierd noises start to happen. Something like that.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Well I don't know. That's not a very deep concept album if that's the case. Which would explain why Thom hasn't confirmed nor denied such ideas. I mean really, that's quite a lame follow through if that was the intent. I love Radiohead - all radiohead. I don't think there was a conscious concept at play - perhaps a theme that was stuck in his head throughout the writing process.

Really though, there are alot of albums in the rock genre that you can spin one way or another and appear to mean many different concepts and storylines. Most of it is just the result of good abstract / artsy lyric writing.

John Lennon still had bums wandering on to his lawn trying to explain how they "get" the meanings in some of his songs. John would take the time to tell them that they didn't "mean" anything - they were just songs and words and were meant to be interpreted how you want. I Am The Walrus is one of the more popular misunderstood, supposed "concept" songs - John himself admitted it didn't mean squat...it just sounded cool.