Hi everyone! I'm sure this is probably something you've all seen a million times before, but I'm looking for some advice on my pedal setup. Been playing about 7 years, self-taught, so I've not had much input from people in-the-know! I've amassed various guitars and pedals, but I'm not particularly happy with the selection of pedals I've got. I'm looking for a sound that very much echoes that of Nirvana, Live, Green Day, Foos, Bush, Silverchair, Lit etc etc. Quite varied but a simple kind of sound. The pedals I currently have are:

Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss HM-3 Hyper Metal
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
DODTEC 4x Multi FX
Danelectro Milkshake Chorus
Jim Dunlop Wah (yet to use as I can't find a power cable to fit it)

Due to my great inexperience, I haven't found a pedal order I'm happy with, or indeed a pedal that gives me the sound I'd like. I bought the Big Muff and Distortion pedals as I thought it'd give me the Kurt sound, but haven't found it as yet. There is a really lush distortion on the Multi FX pedal, but the pedal itself has a delay from selecting effects that standalone pedals don't have, and it also carries so much interference and buzzing, even picking up foreign radio signals through the amp!! The Milkshake Chorus was really a bargain buy that I had no idea of, along with the Compression Sustainer, although that turned out pretty good for raising the sound level of clean guitar (you see my complete lack of knowledge now!). Thanks if you've read this far, I'd really appreciate any guidance anyone can give a novice of 7 years! If I was to eBay all my current pedals, what would you suggest for a great line-up? The guitars I have at the moment are a Fender Strat, Fender Jaguar and a Gibson Les Paul SE. My amp is just a 10w Fender job, nothing amazing as I have little space!
I'm looking for that alt. rock/punk/metal sound as above! Many thanks in advance!

Matt H
try the digitech hot head pedal...it's really versatile and gives me great punk rock distortion
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Try selling that junk and buy urself a good ass wah pedal and better amp.....?
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
You have the right pedals, but the problem is your amp. First off, what are your EQ settings you're using? Common settings for punk would probably be,

Bass: 4-5
Mid: 5-6
Treble: 7-8

For Rock it depends on what you want. I usually keep my mids high, lower my treble and kick up my bass.

Metal is usually something like:

Bass: 6-7
Mids: 2-3 (The term 'scooping the mids' come from this)
Treble: 5-6

But like I said, you have the right pedals. The DS-1 will give you that gritty distortion good for Nirvana and Green Day. Also, the chorus will be good for Nirvana. The Compressor is good for Foo Fighters, don't they use clean often? Never heard of Bush or Silverchair or Lit so I can't help ya there.

Well, hope that helped.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Yeah an amp is on the list of things to upgrade! In your opinion is that the one thing that is affecting my sound substancially? Just been looking at a BOSS Chorus pedal cheap on eBay, any good do you think?

My amp is very basic and is set to Treble 8 and Bass 8. One last thing, is there a way to rid the feedback and noise I get from the pedals? I read somewhere that it's not very easy to match standalone pedals to multi-FX pedals, or is it just that the quality of my kit, such as leads and amp needs improving? I'm such an amateur!

While we're talking amps, anyone got any recommendations? (aimed at rock and punk styles) I'm quite limited to space while I still live at home!
Look at a Small Clone Chorus if your looking for another chorus, Kurt used it for most Nirvana songs.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by mattharvey1983
Yeah an amp is on the list of things to upgrade! In your opinion is that the one thing that is affecting my sound substancially? Just been looking at a BOSS Chorus pedal cheap on eBay, any good do you think?

My amp is very basic and is set to Treble 8 and Bass 8. One last thing, is there a way to rid the feedback and noise I get from the pedals? I read somewhere that it's not very easy to match standalone pedals to multi-FX pedals, or is it just that the quality of my kit, such as leads and amp needs improving? I'm such an amateur!

While we're talking amps, anyone got any recommendations? (aimed at rock and punk styles) I'm quite limited to space while I still live at home!

Yea, amp is like 75 percent of your tone. As far as chorus pedals go, I don't own one so I can't really help you except for that the Electro Harmonix Small Clone is the pedal Kurt used. So go for that, if you get a chorus.

But, really, upgrade your amp first because buying pedals to use on a crappy amp is just stupid. As for feedback, it could be your cables, or maybe you have too much distortion on? On the topic of amps, I use a Traynor 40WR which is an awesome tube amp. Cleans are lovely and the overdrive channel is quite nice, look into Traynors.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
your ds1 would do those, with a better amp.

i would keep that, and the big muff, and sell the rest to help pay for a pretty nice amp.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
You should try adding a noise suppresor to the mix to clean up all the buzz and hum.

ISP Decimator
Boss NS-2
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.