I am looking to buy a new bass amp and I have a question. First off I am looking at getting a combo amp and not wanting to really pay more than about $700. My question is: there are two amps,both have the same wattage(exact number does not matter) but one is a 1x15 speaker and the other is a 2x10. What is the difference in sound,is one better, or does it really not matter about the speaker type.Thanks. Also if anyone has any suggestions on a good combo amp around $700 that would be great.Thanks again.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
the 2x10 would handle louder volumes better i guess because the volume is divided amongst the speakers
i hope that made sense....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Also, the 2x10 pushes 20in of air where as the 1x15 only pushed 15in of air (all figures are met to be in inches squared but i cant put a superscript 2 in quick reply)
The Gallien Krueger 400RB comes in a combo with either a 115 or 210, for 749. Should suit your purposes.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Names_mud
I am looking to buy a new bass amp and I have a question. First off I am looking at getting a combo amp and not wanting to really pay more than about $700. My question is: there are two amps,both have the same wattage(exact number does not matter) but one is a 1x15 speaker and the other is a 2x10. What is the difference in sound,is one better, or does it really not matter about the speaker type.Thanks. Also if anyone has any suggestions on a good combo amp around $700 that would be great.Thanks again.
A single 15 will always outplay a 2x10 when producing Bass guitar frequencys, there is no way that a 4x10 will ever outplay a 2x15.
If you do go for a 2x10 combo make sure that you are able to add a single 15 later without disabling the combo's internal speaker/s as many downmarket bass combos do. If you do not intend to expand go for the 15, minimum amp power 300 watts.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by danzig-_-
the 2x10 would handle louder volumes better i guess because the volume is divided amongst the speakers
i hope that made sense....

Not exactly... If the volume was divided among speakers, you would be outputting half the power

And to answer the classic 2x10/1x15 question, search!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309688&highlight=2x10+1x15

Give the Gallien-Kreuger combos a shot. Great cabs, and the price isn't really that high.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
From what i know, the 15 would have more low end, and the 2 10's would be better for mids/treble.