Page 1 of 2
im going to start learning the keyboard, and i was wondering if it would be possible to play the guitar and keyboard in a band. i understand i cant play them at the same time, but i could stand behind a keyboard and play my guitar some times then switch to the keyboard at other times. are there any bands that have a guitarist/keyboardist that do this?
I've done it in a previous band. It's not really that hard. Just when you're writing songs keep in mind that you will be playing both guitar and keyboard. Idk if that really helps you at all, but if you have anymore questions you're welcome to ask me.

I think the band Deadboy and Elephant Man have done that before too. Idk, if you guys would know about them. I think Dax from Acidbath is in the band.
i saw switchfoot in concert yesterday. One of the dudes did it, he was beast.
ch.ILL
a band that does it great is something corporate. pretty much the keyboard is lead guitar and the guitar is rhythm. although you can switch them off (i'm not sure how well that would work out) or have them take turns. you can also have another guitar and have them both be lead i guess.
The Edge of U2 does it for New Years Day for sure(you can check their Chicago DVD). Looks preety simple to do as well.
I'm pretty sure modest mouse guitarist uses a keyboard too, pretty interesting to see live
yngwie malmsteens keyboarder at the g3 does it...solos included
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
I once saw a Queen cover band do something similar, the vocalist would sometimes start playing guitar or keyboard (they only had a lead guitarist).
It worked fairly well, I think the singer just stood behind a keyboard all the time with a guitar on a stand next to him.
Yeah, as mentioned before, the Edge out of U2 does it, as does Matt Bellamy from Muse. There's no harm in doing it, go for it.
well, i would be in a band with a guitarist (hes not as good as me, but hed have to play lead mostly prolly), a bassist, a drummer, and me, so we would have enough guitar probably. but we might need another just to sound better.
I've seen it done. Along with a guy that played an electric then had an acoustic mounted and he played that as well.
i was at a show a few months ago and a guy did it just fine. Only hed switch inbetween songs. Probably just easier that way i guess. But it wouldnt be very hard. I always thought about doing something like that. Like using drum machines and like prerecorded synth stuff and playing guitar/sing with it.
ive seen more than a few bands that had a guitar player/keyboard player. Never at the same time though but if you had another guitar player in your band it would be easily done. Normally the bass player is the guy that switches to keyboard in the middle of a song though because you can still play the bass line and take a lead pretty seamlessly while the guitar stays on the rhythm. rush, wolfmother, led zeppelin, and jack bruce's band do this.
Matt. Bellamy.
In the studio, and more importantly, live. Hailed as one of the best live acts in the world. Plus you get major bummage if you switch between the two a la New Born.
Banter Assassin. Every thread I touch dies.

Quote by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
Wilco has done that for awhile. It seems to be working for them. Some songs may suit piano and some songs may suit 2 guitars. Music isn't limited.
Ah get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Quote by andrid
a band that does it great is something corporate. pretty much the keyboard is lead guitar and the guitar is rhythm. although you can switch them off (i'm not sure how well that would work out) or have them take turns. you can also have another guitar and have them both be lead i guess.

What??? Rhe lead singer plays the piano and sings, the two guitarists are seperate people... They don't have a guy that plays both keyboard and guitar... I have no idea what you are talking about unless you think the topic is about bands that have guitar players and keyboard players...

Dashboard Confessional, the guitarist that isn't Chris plays keys on some songs, I can't remember which ones but I remember watching him playing keys while sustaining a note on his tele.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
my guitarist does that, he switches in between songs, bascily he just has the keyboard in front of him and when he's not playing guiyta rhe just lets it hang donw on the strap
Old king cole was a merry old soul, a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl( ****ing stoner)
and he called information for numbers he could have easily looked up in the phone book.
Van Halen does it... We won't hold that against him though...

Tommy Lee switches between drums and piano, so i doubt guitar and piano is that tough
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
the old QOTSA guitarist did it all the time. and the singer of a band that my band opened for did it.
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
if the edge can do it, it surely is possible. he does it almost at the same time. that will come with time, if you're lucky
Tony MacAlpine does it, and does it well. On the G3 Tokyo DVD he goes from the keyboard to shredding right next to Vai in just a couple seconds. It's totally feasable.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Tim Kasher from Cursive does it.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Quote by snipelfritz
Why the Hell not? I say.

that's almost my motto, 'sure, why the hell not?'
Didn't GN'R used to do it? Maybe I'm mistaken...I can't remember if Axl Rose would sing and play keyboard or if their rythym guitarist did.

It can be done.
Tony McAlpine

(Steve Vai's Keyboard/Rythm)
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Stephen Drozd of the Flaming Lips does it - but they are a very unique band
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
You could, but it would be pretty hard to switch back in forth from...but if you can do it then by all means go for it....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmRbMZdsnU
At The Drive-In, Jim does it for Invalid Litter Dept., so it is possible!
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
It's been said twice, but:

Matt Bellamy.

Just watch him playing Butterflies and Hurricanes live. I mean...

If you can do it, go ahead and do it. If you're good at it, people will love you. If you're not... well. But yeah.

Matt Bellamy.
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
Im actually gonna do the EXACT same thing

Im learning the keyboard and working out everything...

Get this...im gonna play the keyboard AND guitar IN the same song...we just better pull it off
Quote by JET116

Get this...im gonna play the keyboard AND guitar IN the same song...we just better pull it off

That's not that innovative... lol.... Many of the poeple that have been mentioned do the same thing, that's why they were mentioned but good luck anyways.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
switchfoot does it. it's not that hard..
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
Quote by daft
Stephen Drozd of the Flaming Lips does it - but they are a very unique band

I was going to say them, i love that band.

As far as i'm aware, the Franz Ferdinand guitarist does keys in some songs aswel, and Sum41 guitarist does piano in pieces.

so in other words, DO IT!
i thought of the same idea too...but i can't play the keyboard, but i'll learn it soon
Page 1 of 2